After a better part of a decade, finally on AVEN

cabilope~bk

Hi, I'm BK and I finally joined the community 🥳 

I've known about asexuality for almost a decade and thought some of the romantic identities matched me (mainly demiromatic if you're curious), but I wrote it off as "Well isn't that how everyone is?" and never gave it much thought beyond that. Strangely though, in the back of my mind, the term asexual gnawed away at me and I have been on and off AVEN as an observer since 2013.

Growing up in a social community where I wasn't expected to be sexually involved with anyone, I didn't even notice I wasn't allosexual; never gave it much of a thought, just assumed I had a different upbringing than my peers who were sexual and that was that. I didn't start questioning if I was asexual until a rather unpleasant confrontation from a friend's boyfriend's acquaintance cornering and questioning me.

After much introspection, youtube videos, articles and posts on the internet about a/sexuality, I've come to realize that I am asexual and that there's nothing wrong with my (lack of) sexuality. I'm 27 and I'm happy to finally understand this part of myself. I came out to myself last year 😻 I'm still learning about my newfound identity but now that I feel comfortable accepting myself, I want to reach out to others.

So tl;dr hello~ I'm a new ace who just came out to herself. 
(ps, I'm more of a cookie person than cake 😂🍪:cake:)

Welcome! I'm also an ace who just came out to myself (love that phrase, by the way!) and considered if I was demiromantic! 

Out of curiosity, what sort of social community were you in that you weren't expected to be sexually involved? 

For lack of technological skill, here's a cookie cake (URL)! https://images.app.goo.gl/EUWmqrq8hP8AJZST9 

HI! thanks!

Oddly enough it was just my Christian social group. I've seen post where asexuals were harassed and dogged for their lack of sexuality in their christian communities. I guess I just lucked out. I put this as one factor on why I didn't realize I was asexual for so long since everyone was already accepting of me not being sexually active. Dunno, it's weird.

2 minutes ago, cabilope~bk said:

since everyone was already accepting of me not being sexually active. Dunno, it's weird.

Are you happy that they were/are accepting of not being sexually active? It seems a lot of people have problems with the opposite so I am curious if you see that as a good/bad/neutral thing.

Well no one has ever assumed or if they have, they never shared so I'm counting it as being okay with it.  I've also not been very open about it so I haven't really given anyone a chance to accept/reject my sexuality yet. The only person who brought it up to me directly was a guy I was barely acquaintance with. But anyway, I view it mostly a good thing, leaning towards neutral. Anyone assuming I'm sexually active kinda rubs me wrong.

On 1/22/2020 at 7:23 PM, Lichley said:

Welcome! Saw this and thought to you :P 

OMG! Thanks! Cookie monster is my favorite

7 hours ago, WolfDreamer said:

welcome 🎂

Thank you!

Archived