Society will destroy me

Asexy51

Why did society brainwash me specifically with paroles like "you need to contribute", "you need to give in order to recieve" as a kid calling me a crybaby, using me and then saying i was naive all the while trying to coerce me with threats to extract anything of the above, never being respectful. I did all this, i did contribute, i gifted all i had literally, to society, but i got nothing back. Please stop repeating these cliched braindead phrases.

Do you get nothing back?  Food? Shelter? Access to a computer to discuss things on social media. 

I'm not picking on you, but just pointing out that relative to previous eras, society provides a lot.  Starvation used to be a serious concern for a large fraction of the earth's population, these days its only an issue for a small percentage of people.  Society may  not provide as much as it should, but it does provide some things.

At a personal level, what do you want from society? 

RoseGoesToYale

Hmm... sounds like the protestant ethic combined with the American Dream (even if you are not in America, it would be more accurately termed "The Capitalist Dream" since the concept applies anywhere a capitalist system exists).

The protestant ethic is based on the idea that hard work and good deeds will lead to holiness and salvation, or in more modern secular society, will lead to respect and success. Combine that with a capitalist system, in which persons involved compete for resources and power and only about 1% of the population will gain the majority of those while the other 99% are basically doomed to failure, and you've got 99% of the population working their asses off for certain failure while being told from every manner of social source that that work will eventually "pay off". It's a trap.

If you're interested in how this whole mess happened, check out Max Weber's The Protestant Ethic and the Spirit of Capitalism. Though I'll warn you, it's not exactly light reading...

56 minutes ago, RoseGoesToYale said:

Hmm... sounds like the protestant ethic combined with the American Dream (even if you are not in America, it would be more accurately termed "The Capitalist Dream" since the concept applies anywhere a capitalist system exists).

The protestant ethic is based on the idea that hard work and good deeds will lead to holiness and salvation, or in more modern secular society, will lead to respect and success. Combine that with a capitalist system, in which persons involved compete for resources and power and only about 1% of the population will gain the majority of those while the other 99% are basically doomed to failure, and you've got 99% of the population working their asses off for certain failure while being told from every manner of social source that that work will eventually "pay off". It's a trap.

If you're interested in how this whole mess happened, check out Max Weber's The Protestant Ethic and the Spirit of Capitalism. Though I'll warn you, it's not exactly light reading...

Can you summarize it in your words for me to understand it better? How did this affect me if im not living in a Capitalist society?

1 minute ago, Asexy51 said:

Can you summarize it in your words for me to understand it better? How did this affect me if im not living in a Capitalist society?

I read about the book online, it says something like, for Capitalists lack of self esteem mean't a curse from God, and a high self esteem meant a 'salvation' but that this can be replaced with any private success, like bussiness. It breaks my heart that i can recognize this logic today in society, they do force the statement that self esteem is everything.

1 hour ago, RoseGoesToYale said:

"The protestant ethic is based on the idea that hard work and good deeds will lead to holiness and salvation, or in more modern secular society, will lead to respect and success. Combine that with a capitalist system, in which persons involved compete for resources and power and only about 1% of the population will gain the majority of those while the other 99% are basically doomed to failure, and you've got 99% of the population working their asses off for certain failure while being told from every manner of social source that that work will eventually "pay off". It's a trap."

What should these 99% do if they are doomed to fail? Not work at all?

30 minutes ago, Asexy51 said:

What should these 99% do if they are doomed to fail? Not work at all?

We'll play along, because we get enough crumbs off the table to think this is still our best option.

On 1/21/2020 at 6:27 PM, uhtred said:

"Starvation used to be a serious concern for a large fraction of the earth's population, these days its only an issue for a small percentage of people."

Here are a few quotes from google:

'Some 795 million people in the world do not have enough food to lead a healthy active life. That's about one in nine people on earth. The vast majority of the world's hungry people live in developing countries, where 12.9 percent of the population is undernourished.'

'Worldwide, about 1.1 billion people are zinc-deficient due to inadequate dietary intakes, according to an article published in the journal Scientific Reports.'

Iron deficiency anaemia frequency world wide is: 1.48 billion. That is 1 in 5 people.

Most western world lives of off Mcdonalds, Burger Kings, Pizza Huts and nutritionally empty junk food.

Definitely not a small percentage.

On 1/21/2020 at 6:27 PM, uhtred said:

Do you get nothing back?  Food? Shelter? Access to a computer to discuss things on social media. 

I'm not picking on you, but just pointing out that relative to previous eras, society provides a lot.  Starvation used to be a serious concern for a large fraction of the earth's population, these days its only an issue for a small percentage of people.  Society may  not provide as much as it should, but it does provide some things.

At a personal level, what do you want from society? 

You also got me completly wrong. I have difficulty getting a job and if i do have food it is the food that i earned via formal ways ie. Working 8 hours a day. But if i don't work society does not provide anything, nobody cares if i just die on the streets like many did. In this topic i reffered to my stolen achievements, not a job nor anything personal that i want from anybody. I want peace and quiet and yes i got abuse as a reward from a jealous narcissist. Clear now?

Archived