Recommend me .. a beach! Holidays!

Gahlah

I didn't get much in terms of holidays last year, and this year I NEED to go to the beach! I need to paddle in water! Get sand in my luggage for weeks! Problem? I've not been to many beach holidays in my life, and I need recommendations.

Where am I leaving from? Scotland

Can I drive? Heck nope

What's your budget? Three buttons and maybe a peanut

What beaches have you been to? Rimini, Italy aaaand that's about it, really

What do you need? BEACH

Seriously, do you need nightlife or anything?: No. I need a beach I can use and not look stupid using.

What ratings are you looking at? 4-5 star, 4-5 levels of recommendations

What counties have you looked at so far? Spain, Bulgaria, Turkey, Tunisia

Any countries you don't want to go to? I was looking at Tunisia as the beaches look great, but the Home Office travel warnings are scary. I'd prefer not to go to Greece for personal reasons.

Travelling alone? Yes, I like setting my own pace and wandering into weird shops at my own time

RECOMMEND AWAY!

Oh we have plenty of nice beaches around here. Even the Noosa National Park is along the coast which is sorta nice too.

I absolutely want to go to Australia, especially for the beaches and wildlife (GIVE ME ALL YOUR PARROT AND PARAKEET SPECIES PLZ) and I have family there, but my budget is not that great I'm afraid :c Absolutely in the future, though!

Does something like this appeal to you?

Plus-belle-plage-du-Morbihan-Herlin-Bell

Or do you prefer something more urban, more resort like?

Have you looked into Tarragona? It has a nice, fairly quiet beach that is almost more used by locals than tourists. Personally I like it for swimming, because it has some waves, but no scary ones like the ones you would get in places like the Strait of Gibraltar. Generally speaking Tarragona is not extremely touristy, which I quite like. Don't expect lots and lots of night life, it's a small town. You'll find decent bars and restaurants (you can get amazing sea food) and all that. Also it has a Roman amphitheatre with a stunning view on the sea - how many places can you name that offer this? 8)

It's also well connected. It's about 10km away from Reus airport, although there's not much in the way of (reliable) public transport, so you need a taxi which is not overly expensive. Or you can get there by train from either Barcelona or Valencia, both fairly cheap connections. Obviously the good train connection also means it's easy to do day trips if you want to get around a bit.

4 minutes ago, Ortac said:

Does something like this appeal to you?

Plus-belle-plage-du-Morbihan-Herlin-Bell

Or do you prefer something more urban, more resort like?

OOOO I love it! Either or, both are great!

1 minute ago, timewarp said:

Have you looked into Tarragona? It has a nice, fairly quiet beach that is almost more used by locals than tourists. Personally I like it for swimming, because it has some waves, but no scary ones like the ones you would get in places like the Strait of Gibraltar. Generally speaking Tarragona is not extremely touristy, which I quite like. Don't expect lots and lots of night life, it's a small town. You'll find decent bars and restaurants (you can get amazing sea food) and all that. Also it has a Roman amphitheatre with a stunning view on the sea - how many places can you name that offer this? 8)

It's also well connected. It's about 10km away from Reus airport, although there's not much in the way of (reliable) public transport, so you need a taxi which is not overly expensive. Or you can get there by train from either Barcelona or Valencia, both fairly cheap connections. Obviously the good train connection also means it's easy to do day trips if you want to get around a bit.

That hasn't come up, but I'll give it a search, thank y ou!

This won't be terribly helpful, but the best beach I've been to is in Greece. The water was so awesome. So much better than California beaches. And it was deserted, it was wonderful.

That picture I posted is of a beach in Brittany. The coastline in Brittany is spectacular and the beaches are stunningly beautiful. There are many without any crowds and you can sometimes get an entire beach to yourself if you know where to go. The downside is that good weather cannot be guaranteed; you will typically get temperatures in the low twenties in the summer and the sea temperature may get to around eighteen degrees. If that's a problem for you and you want warmer temperatures, it may not be the place for you. In France and Spain you can get warmer air and sea temperatures around the Mediterranean, but the beaches are nowhere near as beautiful in my opinion.

• 2 weeks later...
J. van Deijck

I still like the beach in Westende the most. Or specifically, the beach in between Westende and Nieuwpoort (yeah, Belgium) :D I also liked some beaches in Poland, too. I have never been anywhere exotic, though, so I can't recommend anything from there.

it all depends on weather, though. If we happen to have as hot summer as two years ago, then you're more than welcome :D

Malta is great, also really easy to go around by bus, and the food is good (very important for holidays 😛

I've heard good things about the Canary Islands. Haven't been there yet, but it's on my list for a relax holiday ;)

If you’re looking for cheap beaches, every British person I know has been to Spain. Cheap generic beaches I guess? (I’ve never been to Spain and hate the beach.)

Playas del coco is nice.

But do not go to Galveston. Water is filthy and the sand is dark with oil byproducts and what not.

Archived