Things that piss you off as a driver.

Ashmedai

Speaking of which, I don't know if anywhere else has them but some cars here have those really bright blue lights as well. I really can't tell if these are worse than high beams but they are pretty bad. Another thing that makes it worse is using high beams after it's been raining. The extra glare coming off the water on the road is just ridiculous.

Another thing with bikes, here they have to obey the road rules, but can also ride up on the footpath. There's been a few times I've seen a cyclist avoid having to wait a red light and mount the path instead to get around it.

I'm talking more about this, which is the kind a lot of people drove back then: 1280px-Subaru_1983_4X4_My_First_Car.jpg

3 minutes ago, Una Salus Victus said:

Speaking of which, I don't know if anywhere else has them but some cars here have those really bright blue lights as well

They are called 'Police cars' and it's best to stop and be nice if you have one of those with lights on behind you 🤣

-People who change lanes without signaling.

-When there’s a car close in front of me but nobody behind me for half a mile and a car that wants to change into my lane squeezes in front of me instead of getting behind me where there’s more room. Double points if they slow way down to make a turn right afterwards.

-People in big SUV’s and trucks who slow way down to turn into a driveway. What’s the point of driving a big car like that that can go over all sorts of rough terrain if you’re too scared to go over the little bump where the driveway starts?

-Pedestrians who seem to have no sense of self-preservation and just leisurely stroll in front of me.

Anthracite_Impreza
8 minutes ago, Acing It said:

I'm talking more about this, which is the kind a lot of people drove back then: 1280px-Subaru_1983_4X4_My_First_Car.jpg

Cuuuuuute :blush:

1 minute ago, Anthracite_Impreza said:

Cuuuuuute :blush:

Yes, cuuuute like your granny 😄

Anthracite_Impreza
8 minutes ago, Acing It said:

Yes, cuuuute like your granny 😄

No, cute like... I could have a crush.

Driving is fun. Other people on the road aren't. So driving usually really sucks.

Regarding roundabouts, I'm sure they're great, but I've only driven through one once, and that was without traffic. Most Americans are just totally unfamiliar with the concept, so they are intimidating. Americans can barely handle a stop sign, expecting them to figure out yielding is too much for most.

The thing with driving is that the safest routine is being extremely predictable. Everyone has to be predictable for it to work. That means actually going the speed limit, braking properly, using signals, etc, but most people just float on in their own world.

Well, I hate drivers who drive fast through large puddles on the road and drenching pedestrians on a sidewalk! :mad:

- People who don't signal, or flick the signal on at the same time as they turn, which is the same effect.

- Honking, unless it's a situation where one really needs to get the other driver's attention (such as someone driving in the wrong direction). When not necessary, it's startling and annoying.

- People who act like they haven't a clue how to drive in snow and that if there is any snow on the road they have to drive about 5mph (or, alternately, try to drive completely normal and then slide around).

- Those horribly bright LED headlights.

- The fact that most roads around here are at least 50% potholes poorly filled in with coalpatch, which does nothing but deteriorate into gravel.

- Motorcyclists weaving in and out of, and through, traffic.

- People who drive way below the speed limit for no good reason.

I've had these happen in the last couple of days:

-People who start pulling out of a driveway, but either don't look where they're going, or they're staring in one direction long enough where they almost drive right out in front of you

-People who have to merge, and you give them all the time and space to do so, and yet take all day to merge, if at all. Thanks for holding everyone up

My three top annoyances:

Drivers who fail to use their indicators / turn signals.

Drivers who have their fog lights on when visibility is good, and they are oblivious to the fact that they have them switched on. I have even seen idiots driving in the dark who don't realise that they have their fog lights on at the front and that their proper lights are off, and that they have no lights at all on at the back. Extremely dangerous.

My number one hate though is drivers who reverse OUT of driveways and parking spaces INTO the road instead of reversing in so that they can then come back out forwards. Reversing out puts themselves AND other road users unnecessarily at a greater risk of danger. Occasionally it may be justified if reversing in will make it awkward to access your boot / trunk, but most of the time I see it, the drivers just don't think. I consider drivers like that to have what I call "a low driving IQ".

@uniQChick, do that in Britain and you can get prosecuted for careless driving, and made to pay the laundry bill

@Ortac, many front fog light users do so because they show potholes better than dipped beams

Three trucks all running on speed restrictors side-by-side on a four lane motorway, leaving everyone else just one lane 

8 hours ago, Skycaptain said:

Do that in Britain and you can get prosecuted for careless driving, and made to pay the laundry bill

Wow! Canada is far behind Britan...

You need to be quick in order to spot licence plate on the offensive vehicle. :) Try to do that while you are standing in shock from cold water and observing your ruined clothes.

CCTV works wonders. At one point Britain had more than half of the world's CCTV cameras, although everyone else has caught up 

-Drivers that make last second fast lane changes with no signals--during a snowstorm. 

-Turning left. No bike lane. Cyclist barreling down my passenger side as am starting my turn, forcing me to stop as they pass me giving me a dirty look forgetting I have the right of way. The entitlement when you're facing a 2000lbs car is just baffling.

-Cyclists that bike in the middle of the road. 

-Cyclists that bike in the winter especially on narrow roads with huge snowbanks. In the middle of the road...

-People who brake and accelerate aggressively. Especially the braking.

-Driver brakes aggressively. Does a 5 point turn in heavy traffic (on a two lane road no less stopping all traffic). Only to then start driving as you follow them to slam on their brakes. On goes the reverse lights. Your horn doesn't stop them. They expect every single car in rush hour traffic to reverse for them. As you create a domino effect of reversing vehicles.

They were parallel parking on the other side but overshot it. Bonus points if they figure they picked a spot that was too small. O_o

-People driving large vehicles with piss poor spacial awareness.

I don't care who I offend with this as I see this mostly with women. If you keep going over sidewalks with your pickup truck turning, you have no business driving one. 

-People who merge on highways at 60km/h.

-People making a turn facing oncoming traffic with horrible senses of timing. I have seen so many intersection crashes based on this alone. 

Worst of which caused a domino effect crash with one car flying off of the road and smashing a post. Great. You tried to rush to save a second and its costing you high premiums and a totaled car. Now you're going to get late for sure.

4 minutes ago, Perspektiv said:

-People who merge on highways at 60km/h.

There's one stretch of motorway I drove on every day on the way home, and for some reason everyone coming in from one section that merges in always does 80km, even though it's a 100km zone. It gets rather annoying if you end up getting stuck in one lane going way under the limit for most of the way home.

People who take their sweet ass time when the light turns green. I can understand the person in front making sure nobody is running the red light and going to t-bone them, but once it’s been established that it’s safe to go it’s time to get moving, the light ain’t getting any greener.

52 minutes ago, Gloomy said:

People who take their sweet ass time when the light turns green. I can understand the person in front making sure nobody is running the red light and going to t-bone them, but once it’s been established that it’s safe to go it’s time to get moving, the light ain’t getting any greener.

Yeah, it's like they sit there thinking "I wonder if green means go -- I'm not really sure so I'll just wait for a while..."

I just thought I'd help educate and clarify about some cyclists' behavior (because road rage directed at cyclists just for existing on the roads and correctly following road laws is unsafe for cyclists, where some drivers have decided to get out of their cars to fatally shoot or punch a cyclist).

Not all cyclists are wealthy, cycling for fun/recreation, etc.; some can't afford vehicles (including insurance, gas, etc.), so they're cycle commuting, somewhere. Not all cyclists wear lycra.

Not that I do this, myself (I don't; I cycle alone), the reason why some cyclists cycle two abreast is because they're trying to prevent drivers from passing by them too closely and not giving them enough space or room to safely maneuver around unsafe things that could possibly be in the road, like debris, potholes, etc. It's the same reason why some cyclists cycle in the middle of the lane (it's not illegal; cyclists are allowed to move over to avoid unsafe debris/ potholes in roads, etc.) Also, it helps drivers notice them, and not hit them, whereas, if they're on the far right/left, it's possible some drivers might not notice them and hit them.

It doesn't make any sense to me for drivers to honk and get upset at a cyclist who's keeping traffic moving in their lane, meanwhile no drivers honk at other drivers for causing traffic to be at a standstill in their lane.

A driver having to take two seconds to pass a cyclist doesn't take up that much time; articles have pointed out that it's other drivers/traffic causing other drivers to have a longer commute time. Pedestrians and cycle commuters who can't afford a vehicle have a longer commute time.

The only thing I worry about is drivers' road rage possibly escalating toward me, because I've noticed an increase in angry drivers, where I live, even though I'm not doing anything illegal. It's not fun to be honked and shouted at for not doing anything wrong, just for existing; I don't go after all of the drivers who are actually not following correct driving protocols, like speeding or not signaling. Being slower than a vehicle isn't a crime or illegal; avoiding potholes and debris isn't illegal. Cyclists have the right to be on the road; it's not always a safe or great idea for cyclists to cycle on the sidewalk (there's also debris, there, too--that no one bothers to clean, so that it can be more safe for pedestrians and cyclists--and that can puncture a tire--yes, that happened to me); sometimes, pedestrians use them; and, also, some dog owners' loose, territorial dogs like to go after cyclists and pedestrians and see their presence on the sidewalk and road as threatening.

So, that's another reason why some cyclists might move over in the road or away from the sidewalk. Being harassed and bitten by a dog isn't great; some people get permanently injured or killed to death by loose dogs.

Cyclists aren't purposely trying to annoy drivers; it's about safety. Some cyclists also drive, but just because some don't doesn't automatically mean that they're ignorant about driving laws (I've taken and passed a driver's road skills test; I just don't like driving).

(Just worried that all drivers' anger that's directed at cyclists, with many rants on the internet, just because they're unaware of cyclists' road rights, might be contributing to more drivers deciding to angrily assault them).

...There's been a few times I've seen a cyclist avoid having to wait a red light and mount the path instead to get around it... 

Well, that's understandable: I wait at lights, and it takes a lot longer for cyclists to travel; it is very annoying, inefficient, and doesn't make sense for them to have to keep stopping and waiting five minutes at every block (I've had to wait that long on the sidewalk because drivers would keep turning into the subdivisions and wouldn't allow me the right of way to cross).

Plus, they're out drivers' way, so that's a good thing.

Double parking 

Parking bays that are shorter than a regular car, say a Mondeo 

SUVs and Crewcab pickups being used as commuter vehicles 

People who don't use box junctions and repeater lights properly 

People forgetting that if your turning onto a side road, and a pedestrian is crossing they have right of way

The price of fuel 

Real Estate RICO

Drivers going from the inside lane to the outside in a two-left turn lane - stay your crusty ass back there and change lanes like everyone else. The second one is specific to where I live: there is a sign that clearly says do not turn left into a side road. People still attempt to make that turn despite the fact it brutally holds up traffic,

@Skycaptain One vehicle occupying two parking spots!!! (Every time I  have to restrain myself from keying the side of offensive vehicle! :ph34r:)

Spoiler

e2589b5s-1920.jpg

There is organization in Russia named StopXam ("СтопХам” roughly translated as “Stop Boor”) where people in groups go around and apply a huge stickers on the windshield of cars parked illegally (some park on sidewalks or triple parking). First they would warn illegally parked driver and ask to leave, if that does not worked they would apply stickers. This is a not easily removed sticker! Stickers display message "I don't care about everyone. I Park where I want to”. Sometimes this end up in physical confrontation, sometimes police are near and stop confrontation.
This movement spread from Russia to Ukraine, Moldova, Belarus and Georgia.

Spoiler

1281942.jpg&w=738&h=492&zc=1

Anthracite_Impreza
8 minutes ago, uniQChick said:

Every time I  have to restrain myself from keying the side of offensive vehicle!

Things that piss me off? Anyone who takes their frustrations out on a machine.

3 minutes ago, Anthracite_Impreza said:

Things that piss me off? Anyone who takes their frustrations out on a machine.

Ahem... :lol:

Anthracite_Impreza
2 minutes ago, uniQChick said:

Ahem... :lol:

Yeah I'm not laughing.

2 hours ago, Anthracite_Impreza said:

Yeah I'm not laughing.

Come here, I'll fill your gas tank up with delicious gasoline. :wub: *virtual hug*

When you have to merge lanes and people speed up to try to pass eachother. There's a particular area I'm thinking of where people are really awful about it, and there have been two accidents that I've been aware of. I always slow down a bit to create distance between my car and the cars in front of me, in case they crash. It's so dumb.

People who don't use their turn signals.

Pedestrians with dogs who stand out right at the edge of the road and don't do anything to keep their dog from walking out into the middle of the road.

Dumbasses who speed way up to weave in and out of traffic.

Archived