Horses and Equiestrian stuff

Arodash

I have a confession. I love Horses, I love, ALL animals but I really love horses and recently finally found an Equine therapist and will be learning to ride horses, as well as I'm going to be volunteering at a horse rescue.

So! Anyone have any advice? Wanna talk about your riding, love of horses or explore the interests? Please come and share! 

Also please give this humble newbie to the equine world some advice

Born and raised around horses. Have had my own horses as well. Ive done riding and all that drama. Dont have any faculties to ride so I am on hiatus but still do the ponies every day.

Advice would be... the equine community can be a very toxic place so beware, judgement is every corner but there are a lot of good eggs as well . Research and learn. Just be positive and enjoy yourself.

Ever wanna chat horsie welcome to message me.

I LOVE horses! I was obsessed with them as a child. I had large horse posters everywhere, collected My Little Pony, and learned all I could about them. I went to a summer horse camp once, but it shut down before I could go again. If I ever go back to college, I want to join the equestrian club.

I was raised around horses.  I never fell in love with them, though.   I still have lots of horse things that my dad collected and need to get rid of them.

I love horses too!  Had my own as a teenager/young adult and would one day like to have my own again, keep riding when I can.  Recently started learning horseball which despite having no hand-eye coordination at all I've really been enjoying :)

1 hour ago, GatsbyGirl said:

Born and raised around horses. Have had my own horses as well. Ive done riding and all that drama. Dont have any faculties to ride so I am on hiatus but still do the ponies every day.

Advice would be... the equine community can be a very toxic place so beware, judgement is every corner but there are a lot of good eggs as well . Research and learn. Just be positive and enjoy yourself.

Ever wanna chat horsie welcome to message me.

Thats why I'm happy to be in an equine therapy program, the people there are kind as can be! But yeah my friend is also an equestrian and she cant stand the overall community for the judgemental way some people are

I work in equine tourism and love it :) And even though the equine community can be difficult when you don't know it, I think it's mostly because it's still very traditionnal, despite the numerous changes that are being brought to it (I'm thinking about natural horsemenship, women riding more than men, new teaching methods, etc). Well, this is valid for France, I don't how it is in other countries! But if you like horses, you'll have no problems making friends, all horsy people love to talk about horses. I hope you'll enjoy your time around those big, lovely creatures!

Actually its a bit of a gender issue in the states too. People give me this weird look when I, a man, tells them I like horses and plan to learn to ride. And then the stupid stigma around mental health. So they think its weird therapy and horses have been combined.

Even though countless studies show they are great for your health

The helmets are soooo espensive! Lol 

43 minutes ago, Arodash said:

Actually its a bit of a gender issue in the states too. People give me this weird look when I, a man, tells them I like horses and plan to learn to ride. And then the stupid stigma around mental health. So they think its weird therapy and horses have been combined.

Even though countless studies show they are great for your health

I always found this odd because in the oooooold days it was frowned when women road lol but in my country I have actually never seen the issue with gender more of what methods you use and how much money you have got. Also being a happy hacker gets you sooo much hate here lol.

38 minutes ago, Arodash said:

The helmets are soooo espensive! Lol 

What country are you from if you dont mind me asking?

@korik, this may be in your purview 

1 hour ago, GatsbyGirl said:

I always found this odd because in the oooooold days it was frowned when women road lol but in my country I have actually never seen the issue with gender more of what methods you use and how much money you have got. Also being a happy hacker gets you sooo much hate here lol.

What country are you from if you dont mind me asking?

I'm an American and pshhh why should anyone care about money? Shouldnt it be great that everyone loves horses?

1 minute ago, Arodash said:

I'm an American and pshhh why should anyone care about money? Shouldnt it be great that everyone loves horses?

Just cause they have a horse or ride doesnt mean they love it XD 

1 minute ago, GatsbyGirl said:

Just cause they have a horse or ride doesnt mean they love it XD 

Whatttt then why would they do it?

Think like a horse- try to understand why they behave as they do with everything. Do not accept any excuse for someone hurting a horse. Avoid all bits, tie downs, spurs, whips, etc. Ride with a rope halter and no bit. Only food, water, and medicine goes in a horse's mouth. Don't leave a halter on if not riding.  A helmet won't save you from your stupidity. It's never the horse's fault.

19 minutes ago, Arodash said:

Whatttt then why would they do it?

Parents tell them to, they think its cool, they think they know what they doing but dont mind abusing the horse...

the list goes on. 

Just now, GatsbyGirl said:

Parents tell them to, they think its cool, they think they know what they doing but dont mind abusing the horse...

the list goes on. 

Thats just awful

Always be aware around a horse, freak accidents can happen. I prefer to wear a helmet, safety first for me. If your allowed to with the horses you work with treats XD I always used to bring a small bag of carrots cut up for the horses after lessons cause they such good ponies. lol.

Thats just awful

Its like any other sport, its got bad sides to it sadly. 

P.S you also get some great horse youtube channels with treat ideas and general stuff as well which is interesting.

Just now, GatsbyGirl said:

Always be aware around a horse, freak accidents can happen. I prefer to wear a helmet, safety first for me. If your allowed to with the horses you work with treats XD I always used to bring a small bag of carrots cut up for the horses after lessons cause they such good ponies. lol.

I'm required to wear a helmet so I gotta buy one, I need to verify if treats are okay for my new buddy. Hes a big handsome standard with a very fashionable unicorn rug

1 minute ago, GatsbyGirl said:

Its like any other sport, its got bad sides to it sadly. 

P.S you also get some great horse youtube channels with treat ideas and general stuff as well which is interesting.

My friend uses small pales with molasses for when her ponies have been extra good

I'm required to wear a helmet so I gotta buy one, I need to verify if treats are okay for my new buddy. Hes a big handsome standard with a very fashionable unicorn rug

I got myself a new helmet last year at our one shops annual 50% off tent sale so I say always check the stores around you for specials as well. Great opportunities there. 

Helmets can be a pain with size wise I find but a standard one is simple enough for me since I am not competing any time soon.

My friend uses small pales with molasses for when her ponies have been extra good

There is this awesome baking recipe with carrots, molasses and apples treat for horses.

Molasses is a great way for getting a horse to eat medicine as well.

10 minutes ago, GatsbyGirl said:

I got myself a new helmet last year at our one shops annual 50% off tent sale so I say always check the stores around you for specials as well. Great opportunities there. 

Helmets can be a pain with size wise I find but a standard one is simple enough for me since I am not competing any time soon.

Ahhh I see and I think i'll just need a simple one for now

Ahhh I see and I think i'll just need a simple one for now

If you're not in a specific discipline and competing, something to protect your head is fine. They generally are the affordable, plain ones. Lol sorry if that was outta line I used to assist at riding schools and all that jumbos I tend to suggest and lecture lol.

Oh yeah I won't be getting into any specific discipline or styles for a bit because like I said Bright Now it's therapeutic riding to treat PTSD but I would very much like to learn Western and English dressage. Whats funny is I was able to find a decent pair of synthetic men's english boots for really good pricing, as for western boots..... goodness they are way more pricey

I was literally born on horse (My mom was in a dressage competition when she went into labor). I was born and raised and still live on a horse ranch in the mountains. My mom is a praised dressage champion. 

I don’t like horses.

Mom always tried to make me like them which only put mer more off. 

I don’t mind helping around with them I like that work but I don’t want to get in the saddle, I’ve had enough of that. I know how to ride, since I was forced to learn. I know how to handle horses and I don’t fear them not in even in flocks. Horses are respect imposing animals, they can cause a lot of damage.

My tip to new riders are: use appropriate attire, helmet, safety west, pants and shoes are number one. The shoes are your medium, they help you speak to your horse, they keep you in place and protects your legs. The pants are for your comfort, trying to ride in the wrong pants will come back to bit you, literally. And I cannot press this enough, use a helmet and safety west! your life depends on it. The helmet will keep your head in one piece and the west will west, if you have a good one, will protect your spine and neck. 

Have fun and find a horse that suits you :)  They all have such great, fun personalities.

2 minutes ago, FeichtKatze said:

I was literally born on horse (My mom was in a dressage competition when she went into labor). I was born and raised and still live on a horse ranch in the mountains. My mom is a praised dressage champion. 

I don’t like horses.

Mom always tried to make me like them which only put mer more off. 

I don’t mind helping around with them I like that work but I don’t want to get in the saddle, I’ve had enough of that. I know how to ride, since I was forced to learn. I know how to handle horses and I don’t fear them not in even in flocks. Horses are respect imposing animals, they can cause a lot of damage.

My tip to new riders are: use appropriate attire, helmet, safety west, pants and shoes are number one. The shoes are your medium, they help you speak to your horse, they keep you in place and protects your legs. The pants are for your comfort, trying to ride in the wrong pants will come back to bit you, literally. And I cannot press this enough, use a helmet and safety west! your life depends on it. The helmet will keep your head in one piece and the west will west, if you have a good one, will protect your spine and neck. 

Have fun and find a horse that suits you :)  They all have such great, fun personalities.

I'm big on safety and will be getting a helmet and a pair of synthetic boots in a few weeks

• 2 weeks later...

I used to ride as a kid. I wanted to learn English but the closest place that had horses and offered lessons was nearly an hour away and they only did Western. (I grew up in suburban southern New Jersey on the coast - nowhere near farmland.) I almost got a horse but my mom rightly decided it would be ridiculous to buy a horse and pay to board it so far away when I already had access to horses. (Again... can’t keep a horse in the suburbs and it was quite far from anywhere that’d be legal to house a horse.) 

As a teenager, I volunteered at a riding centre for the disabled. That was fun! I’m 700% a city girl and didn’t enjoy getting smelly and dirty but I loved the horses and the students. The only downside was sitting in the car for an hour counting every second until I could shower! 

Haven’t ridden a horse properly in eons but last summer, I did horse yoga. It’s yoga. On/with a horse. Done right with a proper instructor, the horse also finds it relaxing and it becomes almost symbiotic. None of that Instagram shit though that is clearly dangerous and probably hurting the horse. That’s not okay. It should be modified and done slowly, concentrating on breathing and balance. There should also be someone leading the horse because you can’t truly do yoga and meditation AND ride a horse. But yeah, really cool experience.

21 hours ago, Kimchi Peanut said:

I used to ride as a kid. I wanted to learn English but the closest place that had horses and offered lessons was nearly an hour away and they only did Western. (I grew up in suburban southern New Jersey on the coast - nowhere near farmland.) I almost got a horse but my mom rightly decided it would be ridiculous to buy a horse and pay to board it so far away when I already had access to horses. (Again... can’t keep a horse in the suburbs and it was quite far from anywhere that’d be legal to house a horse.) 

As a teenager, I volunteered at a riding centre for the disabled. That was fun! I’m 700% a city girl and didn’t enjoy getting smelly and dirty but I loved the horses and the students. The only downside was sitting in the car for an hour counting every second until I could shower! 

Haven’t ridden a horse properly in eons but last summer, I did horse yoga. It’s yoga. On/with a horse. Done right with a proper instructor, the horse also finds it relaxing and it becomes almost symbiotic. None of that Instagram shit though that is clearly dangerous and probably hurting the horse. That’s not okay. It should be modified and done slowly, concentrating on breathing and balance. There should also be someone leading the horse because you can’t truly do yoga and meditation AND ride a horse. But yeah, really cool experience.

But hey! The cool thing is you got over your hate of being dirty to have fun! Thats awesome and Yoga on horse back sounds. Interesting, I might have to ask my father about it he teaches yoga in his free time

Archived