Grooming habits for female identifying people  

137 members have voted

1. 1. What is your gender identity?

• Female
    • Non-binary
    • Genderfluid
    • Agender
    • Other
  2. 2. How do you generally keep your nails?

• Short and unpolished
    • Short and polished
    • Long and unpolished
    • Long and polished
  3. 3. How long is your hair?

• Short
    • Mid-length (shoulder length)
    • Long (past your shoulders)
  4. 4. Do you wear makeup?

• Yes, daily, the whole nine yards (mascara, foundation, etc)
    • Yes, but only light make up (concealer occasionally, etc.)
    • Yes, on special occasions like weddings/parties. Rarely.
    • No, I never wear make up.
  5. 5. Do you shave your legs/underarms (or remove hair in general? Waxing etc also counts!)

• Yes, consistently.
    • Yes, but only for special occasions/if I'm going to the beach/wearing shorts. Occasionally.
    • No, I don't remove my body hair.

This poll is closed to new votes

WanderingKate

Just out of curiosity- feel free to comment below if you have more details to add :)

RoseGoesToYale

I'm fairly lazy about appearance, unless I know I'll be seeing friends, or someone I like. Sometimes I paint my toes for fun. The only time I ever go "whole nine yards" is for parties or weddings or holidays.

1. Female

2. Short and usually unpolished, but sometimes I do put polish on them. I used to grow them long, but since I started wearing contacts and having to touch my eyes I've been keeping them short so I don't poke or scratch myself.

3. Long, currently chest length.

4. Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't. Can be light makeup or the whole nine yards. Depends on my mood and how lazy I'm feeling.

5. Yes. I've actually recently started shaving my whole body (yes even my face, and no it doesn't make the hair grow back darker or thicker) except my eyebrows, eyelashes, and the hair on my head. Makes my skin nice and smooth. I only do my whole body once a week though. My legs, underarms, and a certain other area I shave at least every other day. 

everywhere and nowhere

I identify as female - OK, I prefer to add that I'm not a "womanly woman", but I also don't identify as male to any degree or even as non-binary. However, it seems that my grroming practices are the least stereotypically "female"...

Nails - very short. It's very important for me for reasons of comfort and health. I have bad allergy, often there's no chance I'd keep myself from scratching because my skin itches at least a little constantly. Having short nails limits the amount of damage I'm able to unintentionally do to my skin. I trim my nails at least once a week, completely short (cutting off the whole "white" nail tip, with just a tiny margin remaining).

In fact, I theoretically could use nail polish... it's not a huge no-no from the point of view of my allergy, which applies to all facial makeup. But in practice... I almost always have some scratches on my hands too, because of allergy and having extremely dry skin it's fairly wrinkled at this age (38). I'm used to wearing cotton gloves outdoors to hide my hands, and even if sometimes, in the summer, I only wear fingerless gloves... I just think that the contrast between nail polish and such bad skin simply wouldn't look good.

I have short hair. Used to wear it long, but still fairly casual, a bit more like long-haired guys.

Makeup - never, I don't even have any of that. Given my allergy, it would be dangerous, but it definitely also has a strong component of rebellion against compulsory attractiveness, of reducing my chances of being accidentally perceived as sexually attractive (which, given my sex aversion, would be uncomfortable for me).

Shaving - nope. I stopped shaving my legs and armpits over 10 years ago.

Actually, due to my very strong nudity aversion, I wear long pants all year long anyway. But... 1) I ocasionally, in the summer, make an exception for 3/4 length, and in fact specifically in order to shock people with the sight of a woman who doesn't shave :twisted:; 2) often, when I sit down, my ankles are visible (this, too, applies only to the warmest part of the year, because at other times I obviously wear socks and I hate those very short socks which end at ankle level); 3) I'm rather hairy and I also have some hair on the top of my feet - and my nudity aversion doesn't include feet, I'm absolutely OK with wearing sandals in the summer*.

*Just no flip-flops... I can't wear them, only at home as slippers. I can't wear flip-flops and I can't wear a bag on the shoulder, only diagonally from the left shoulder to the right hip - and my feelings about both are very similar: I would constantly feel that if my shoes or bag aren't properly "attached" to my body, I'm about to lose them any moment...

I'm mostly agender, slightly feminine. All I do to my nails is clip them short, my hair is shoulder-length, the only makeup I wear daily is just to cover pimples, and I shave my armpit hair because it feels better that way to me but my leg hair is super long.

Female.

Nails - I like my nails to be a little longer, I feel like it makes my fingers look longer too. Once they even start to get to impractically long, however, I snip those suckers right off. I don't do polish, I'm not very good at it and it requires a lot of upkeep and I'm lazy. 

Hair - Long. I've contemplated doing a pixie cut many a time but my hair is very thin and takes a long time to grow, so if it looks terrible I'll have to live with it for months! Once a year or so I trim it back up to near shoulder height so I can do fun vintage curls with it. 

Makeup - On days out with friends, just so that when they take pictures I don't look so washed out. I enjoy vintage styles, I'm just far too lazy to do it on a daily basis (and since I work with kids, it's just easier not to try). 

Shaving - I do my armpits when I know I'll be wearing something sleeveless or legs when I'm wearing shorts, which means the whole of wintertime I'm a fuzzball. I'm a big baby so I don't pluck my eyebrows, I just trim them when they get too bushy or I go get them threaded every so often because it's easier when a stranger just rips 'em out real quick. In the nether regions I just trim when it gets bushy. Waxing scares me. 

- Female.

- Don't do polish anymore (I'd pick it off when I did) and I tend to rip my nails as a nervous habit so some are short and some are long.

- Growing my hair out currently and it's past my shoulders. Yay. I keep cutting it out of boredom every other Fall for some reason.

- I've definitely gotten lazy with makeup over the years which is tied to me being more comfortable with my appearance. I hover around light/no makeup most days but if I'm up for it, I'll do more. Winged eyeliner is my jam. Especially if it's an event like a convention where fun outfits are involved or some other gathering.

- I shave pretty often because I hate the feeling of body hair, especially on my legs.

everywhere and nowhere
14 minutes ago, bobbypin said:

I hate the feeling of body hair, especially on my legs.

By the way, I really like the feeling of the wind in my leg hair on a cool and windy summer day... ;) Either when I'm wearing slightly less long pants or pants with loose legs (but I'm anti-trendy anyway and hate "skinny jeans", I prefer pants with wider legs. Even if I wasn't even around in the 1960s, I "still" love hippie style and I like wearing bell bottom pants.

Galactic Turtle

- Female

- Short nails, unpolished

- Mid length

- I don't wear makeup

- I don't shave unless for some reason my legs or armpits would be bare for some unusual reason 

Janus the Fox

- Agender female, male sex transitioning

- long unpolished

- mid to long length

- no makeup for many reasons

- constantly like to shave nearly everywhere :)

- Demi-female

- I can't stand to keep my nails long, when they get to the edge of my fingers they gotta go. Actually gotta trim the one since I jammed my finger at work and broke part of the end off today.

- My hair is an undercut with short hair on top, I am in the process of growing the top out a little bit more though to make styling easier, hopefully.

- I'll wear eye-liner once in a great, great, great while. Depends on mood which hasn't been often lately.

- I shave my armpits, don't shave my legs, and I gotta wax my face every month since I grow baby sideburns with a few thick chin hairs. Yay, dark hair.

1. Female, leaning toward agender

2. Medium - I let them grow out past my fingertips, but if they start to actually get long, they start getting annoying when doing things like using my phone.

3. Between chin length and shoulder length, depending on how recently I have (or haven't) had a haircut.

4. I have probably worn makeup less than ten times in my life, and then, only things like choir concerts or sometimes Christmas mass, when my mom made me. 

5. I shave sporadically. My legs and underarms are only visible to anyone besides me on the rare occasion that I wear a swimsuit (I never wear shorts, skirts or dresses that don't come all the way down to my feet, or shirts without sleeves), so it's entirely dependent on whether I feel like bothering with shaving or not. I'll shave for a few weeks, decide I don't want to bother for a few weeks, decide I want smooth legs again, and so on.

Winter-Cattle

I'd need question 5 to be split in two parts. I shave my armpits every few days, despite them almost never being visible to anyone but myself (so would be "consistently" in your poll). I would never, ever shave my leg hairs if it was only my own decision, but because of societal expectations, I will shave them if they may be visible to others (which would be "occasionally" in your poll).

With the existing options, which would you prefer I select?

WanderingKate
4 hours ago, Winter-Cattle said:

With the existing options, which would you prefer I select?

Really either is fine! Its truly just for fun/my own curiosity :) I appreciate the added detail though! 

thanks for all the answers so far everyone! I think the only thing I have been surprised by is the lack of answers for long, painted nails- perhaps it is a regional thing, but where I live a lot of women are very, very into their nails and have the super long acrylics with nail art and everything. So super interesting answers so far, thanks to all who responded! 

1. Female

2. Long and unpolished. Right now they're very short (and unpolished), but most of the time they're long cause I just prefer it that way

3. Long (past my breasts)

4. Never

5. Never

-Female 

-Short and unpolished, as a pianist it kills me to have my nails long and I don't care enough to paint them

-Long, I would like it at my waist but they cut it too short a few months ago so it's a few inches above my waist 

-Never, technically I wear make-up probably 10 times a year for dance but in general I don't 

-Occasionally, I usually shave my armpits once a week but I only shave my legs in the summer or when I wear shorts 

* Female werewolf here.

* Short nails, unpolished no point in polishing them, they'll get dirty right away.

* Short hair which I cut myself with a razor when it gets to long for comfort.

* Make-up on special occassions, waste of money and i've got no make-up skills so I'm basically polishing a turd :D 

* I don't have any body hair so I don't have to shave my legs or trim anything.

1) Demi-girl, but put "female" though I prefer "woman" to "female" just because I feel the former is a gender and the latter is sex. 

2) Short and un-polished most of the time. If I'm able to let them grow out (compulsive nail-biter) then I like to keep them at a decent length. Also I'm willing to paint my nails if they're long and it's a very special ocassion, but I don't normally.

3) Short, though the length it is now I view as "too long" and I need to cut it, because my bangs are getting in my eyes and my hair is curling like an 80s movie.

4) Rarely.

5) Yes I shave consistently. I hate the feeling of body hair and if it shows or I can feel it, I need to get rid of it. 

1. Female

2. short-ish nails, only polish them for Christmas or weddings and such. Toenails on the other hand are always polished, my secret bit of extravagance :lol:

3. Hair is a bit past my shoulders

4. No makeup. Ain't got no time for that in the mornings

5. I shave occasionally - more regularly in summer than in winter. If I wasn't so self-conscious, I probably wouldn't bother that much

1. Female
  2. Short-ish and usually polished
  3. Medium length at the moment... But had very short hair for the majority of my life
  4. Not really sure what to answer because I don’t wear makeup daily but I do wear it often enough. When I do my makeup, I wear a LOT of makeup but make it look like very little. If I’m going out with friends or for a family dinner, if I’m going to be out for most of the day, if I have anything work related that isn’t a regular day at work, if I have more than one friend over, any event where I need to be dressed up at all OR there might be pictures... I’ll wear makeup. I love makeup. I’m just a hermit and mostly stay at home in my pyjamas and don’t bother doing it for work because I’d rather sleep in.
  5. I shave my face (I have PCOS ugh) and armpits daily. The rest... only if someone’s going to see it, tbh. I’m a hairy beast. I can’t be assed to spend an extra 10-15 minutes in the shower every single morning. No thanks!
  • 5 months later...

selected the middle option in the last question: shave my armpits regularly (every week/two weeks), but never my legs. Middle option seemed middle ground-ly enough 😛

fooledbysecrecy

afab but identify as nb or agender.

nails short, so much easier to type and to play guitar piano(whenever i can be arsed) and polished because it looks nice! i love me some colours.

hair about shoulder length.

pre covid i used to wear make up most of the time, foundation mainly to cover my red face (now i can do it with a mask lmao), i never understood the whole contouring thing for example. why do you need 3454456 different products for every part of your face... eye make up for me is mostly accessorising. eyeshadow matching the outfit and such things,

Afab, too - but I can't say I identify (wholeheartedly) as (cis) female. Agender, genderfluid, nb don't fit either, though.

I have short nails because of work, musical instruments, and me being annoyed by long ones, honestly. ^^' I wear mascara and darken my eyebrows on work days (because otherwise I look like I don't have eyebrows at all), and add more when going out to dance/"party" (not that that's happening atm).

My hair is short because I like it and can handle it better.

And I shave because I personally prefer it and feel "cleaner" that way, if that makes sense.

Female

short nails and mostly unpolished - like once every 5 years or so I'll decide to paint them

hair is medium long?

makeup is really rare

shave only when I feel like it

On 1/19/2020 at 6:57 AM, WanderingKate said:

I have been surprised by is the lack of answers for long, painted nails

I see a lot of women with this as well, and I think an increasing number of young women. I've never had fake nails of any kind put on, but I just don't understand how they do anything with them.. Like how do they type? How do they do the dishes? How do they pick up small items? And most importantly how do they wipe their butt??? I just don't understand 😅

i keep my nails short as I am a musician.  I hate females coming to lessons with horrible long false nails.  They do seem a bit less popular now and less of a problem.

I wear makeup daily, it is just a routine, but applied very liightly so people usually think I don't wear makeup.  I have some adult pupils, usually younger women, who wear false eye lashes, lots of eye liner, incredible brows and if done well they look fabulous, but I would feel fake if I tried it out.

No make up, no nail polish, no proper hairstyle. 😐 I've never cared about prettying myself up, the most stuff I've ever put on my skin was foundation to cover up spots on my face (darn cake I love you but my skin doesn't!). Also body hair aplenty as I always dress to cover my body anyway. 😆

Master Zaydoo

I have my nails long only because I'm too lazy to cut them; I've gotten better at cutting them more often though.

Hair is long enough to be in a ponytail and look like a Founding Father (minus the front curls of course, that would be a little excessive)

Never ever makeup, I'm already incredibly good-looking anyway (and an egotist)

And I shave my underarms when I realize I want to wear clothes in my closet with short-short sleeves instead of just unisex short sleeves that are pretty long and go down to my mid-upper arm. I don't have any sleeveless clothes because I hate them, so I don't have to worry about that. I shave sometimes the bottom few inches of my calf when it is too hot to wear socks and I don't want people seeing I don't shave. In addition, I only wear pants and skirts with leggings. Never shorts or anything that doesn't go to my ankle.

I was going to do a shaving poll so thanks for doing this, glad to see I am not alone in the second option!

My makeup situation is different. I wear it when I feel like it, doesn't have to be special occasion but I don't wear it daily and I don't wear concealer. When I wear it I go all out, but It's just when I feel like it.

Archived