"Why Does "Straight" Mean Heterosexual?"

Eutierria

Ace flag featured throughout this video by Origin of Everything. 

Yes I noticed the ace flag too. Gays, lesbians, drag queens etc. were discussed but I don't think asexuals were ever mentioned.  Could it be that the narrator didn't know what the flag meant? It wouldn't really surprise me. Regarding "straight" I simply took it to mean "not kinky". I suppose this comes from a time when anything not rigidly heterosexual was seen as deviant. It was also interesting to glimpse the array of antiques along the wall. A red, rotary dial phone. This is no antique to me but a part of my past. 

15 minutes ago, Yeast said:

...Gays, lesbians, drag queens etc. were discussed but I don't think asexuals were ever mentioned.  Could it be that the narrator didn't know what the flag meant?...

At around the 0:37 mark, they mentioned the acronym, "LGBTQIA," specifically "LGBTQIA identities." (So, I don't think they're using the "A" to mean "ally," as they mention minority identities).

I imagine that asexuality wasn't specifically mentioned for this segment because it doesn't have much to do with the topic, about the origins of "straight" meaning heterosexuality (since it's a more recent orientation), whereas, as they mentioned, the gay and trans culture has a longer history (and the gay community originally used "straight" as slang, to mean a gay person who was "going back" to heterosexuality).

Thanks, for the clip! It was interesting.

I would like to develop the idea of @Yeast . The word "deviant" might describe perfectly the conservative point of view, because it is translated from Latin as "off the (straight) way" presupposed by the biology.

Divide By Zero

Great video and thanks for sharing it

Archived