Ace representation in the series "sex education"

Jules.2P

Hello there! 

To be honest I'm still a bit overwhelmed.. 

It was not so long ago ok that ih started with the Netflix series 'sex education' and I really liked it until the first season ended.. 

I saw on twitter some hours ago, that it continued AND there is an asexual character as well!!!

I started with the second season quickly after that but I didn't reach the episode where I saw them tbh. It's kinda late right now and I should be sleeping, so I stopped and watched the one minute clip on twitter I found earlier and let me tell you: I cried.

It was such a weird experience. Like it was not much but at the same time it was a lot. 

There was this character sitting in front of another and she told her that she felt broken... at first the other character didnt understand so the ace one continued explaining and it's exactly how I felt! Like I know I'm ace since a year or so but, it's just so weird to see it in a series and it's just ... it's our representation... 

I was hoping for this so bad and they didn't mess it up...

I'm so happy? 

The other character seemed to understand what the ace character felt and she asked her if she has ever heard of the term 'asexuality' and explained it. And said that it's okey (in short).

Tbh this representation is everything I could have asked for.

Did you watch sex education? Did you watch the scene? How did you feel? 

I just finished watching that episode and I honestly can't stop smiling, I didnt know prior to watching it that there even was an ace character so it made for a really nice surprise, I'm glad they decided to include it, I never realised quite how much I want more representation for the ace community until I experience it and remember how good it feels too see

inb4 they just have a tumor or their romantic partner has a tumor or something and once that gets resolved they'll have perfectly normal sex lives

I'm not jaded.  Your face is jaded!

Comrade Kitty
49 minutes ago, Philip027 said:

inb4 they just have a tumor or their romantic partner has a tumor or something and once that gets resolved they'll have perfectly normal sex lives

Yeah, something similar happened in Greys Anatomy. In one episode, there was an asexual couple, but it turns out that the wife just had a brain tumor, and that the husband was faking it for his wife...... needless to say, i wasn't very happy with that episode. 

I'm not familiar with that show, but I'm guessing it's a similar plot to that infamous episode of House MD (which is what prompted my comment)

Comrade Kitty

Yeah, they are fairly similar. 

abandoned-account
2 hours ago, AuraChicken said:

Yeah, something similar happened in Greys Anatomy. In one episode, there was an asexual couple, but it turns out that the wife just had a brain tumor, and that the husband was faking it for his wife...... needless to say, i wasn't very happy with that episode.

2 hours ago, Philip027 said:

I'm not familiar with that show, but I'm guessing it's a similar plot to that infamous episode of House MD (which is what prompted my comment)

I've never seen either show but reading those made me wince a little. Are they trying to imply that not having a "sex life" means something must be wrong with you?

(Never understood either how having low/no sex drive is always treated like it's a bad thing, especially in a species that's already overpopulating)

Comrade Kitty
22 minutes ago, Veezle said:

I've never seen either show but reading those made me wince a little. Are they trying to imply that not having a "sex life" means something must be wrong with you?

(Never understood either how having low/no sex drive is always treated like it's a bad thing, especially in a species that's already overpopulating)

Yes, that is what both shows are trying to imply. I completely agree with you on the low/no sex drive thing. People can be happy in so many ways, without having sex. It really doesn't seem like too hard of a concept to me. 

Tbh didn't know about that doctor house episode, but I hope it's nothing like this in the series... tbh it doesn't look like it to me in said scene,,,

I will continue watching the series until I come to said point and maybe let you know when something changes and suddenly there aren't ace anymore

I literally just finished the episode where this happens (season 2 episode 4). I teared up when the girl (Florence) said she felt broken. I was already hoping there would be ace representation in the show but I can't believe they actually did it! I'm so happy. I hope they expand on it more. Even though the scene was short, it feels soooo good to be represented like that on a tv show. 

I haven't really come out to anyone IRL, so I'm really glad I can talk about it here. Maybe one day I'll have the courage to come out. 

8 hours ago, Veezle said:

Well, to be fair, in House the main character is a complete jerk who thinks everyone has to be like him (miserable and hates everyone, to the point he literally ruins his life and every relationship he ever has). And he's the one that says everything will be "normal" to the guy. And the guy saying he's asexual freaks when he hears the news, because the idea of wanting sex is very not good to him. The lying wife who is sexual and only pretended to not want sex is happy to hear from the doctor it can be "fixed". We never actually see any change in the guy who IDs as asexual. And House's best friend who isnt a jerk was supportive of people not wanting sex and being happy. 

So.. I prefer to think of it as an example of a jerk doctor who thinks fixing hormone levels will fix lack of desire for sex. So a nice representation of some things aces go through. 

But Sirens the girl is just asexual, but a bit weird (dark comedy, they are all weird). Bojack the person is ace. A few soaps have ace characters in non-U.S countries. So I dont expect this show to undo it. 

I loved it! When they first introduced Florence and her friends kept saying "jackson will have sex with anyone" implying this is your chance and she seemed disinterested I hoped she would be asexual! 

I knew she was going to be asexual when Otis advice was "maybe when you find the right person your feelings will change" as annoying as that sentiment is I am glad they included that. Mostly cause at the end of the episode she tells him your advice sucked but your mum gave me an explantation for the way my brain thinks. Which is how I feel. I thought they handled it perfectly with Dr Milburn's explanation. 

On 1/18/2020 at 5:58 AM, Veezle said:

Didn't asexuality only recently like 2016 get considered a orientation rather than a sexual dysfunction? 

BlakeTheNightowl~

Watching it rn finally some ace representation!! 

BlakeTheNightowl~

I hope they include more characters who are also ace ! 🤘👌

On 1/20/2020 at 1:27 AM, groovygrievy said:

I loved it! When they first introduced Florence and her friends kept saying "jackson will have sex with anyone" implying this is your chance and she seemed disinterested I hoped she would be asexual! 

I knew she was going to be asexual when Otis advice was "maybe when you find the right person your feelings will change" as annoying as that sentiment is I am glad they included that. Mostly cause at the end of the episode she tells him your advice sucked but your mum gave me an explantation for the way my brain thinks. Which is how I feel. I thought they handled it perfectly with Dr Milburn's explanation. 

Same. I think it really highlighted how naive and insensitive this advice is and it's what SO MANY people suggest as advice to ace people - "oh you've just not had good sex yet" and all that bullshit. Like you say, Jean explaining that she's not broken and being ace is real and valid was SO important in contrast to how Otis handled it, and just shows how hard it can be for asexuals to deal with allosexual people who just don't get it.

I cried, too. Partly because I wasn't expecting it - I'd hoped they would include an ace character but figured there is sooooo much to cover that we wouldn't get a look in. Even when they introduced Florence I didn't let myself hope, and then it happened and that scene was so perfect and heartfelt and just... important.

The other thing that got me was how... sad? Jean seemed when she explained it. Almost like she was sad because she knows even though finding a label and feeling "normal" is amazing, Florence is still probably going to have a really hard time. Especially since they mentioned how someone could want a romantic relationship but not a sexual one. I just really felt it.

I love this show! I really hope Florence is back for season 3 (mostly just cause she's badass and awesome and Scottish, 15/10 ace representation in mainstream media!!!)

On 1/18/2020 at 7:58 AM, Veezle said:

Tbh, I have a feeling it could even be due to overpopulation that (some) humans can find other things to do instead of procreating in the society. Numericly, our society has started to remind an insect society such as ants or bees instead of a common mammal society with maximum of few dozens of individuals who all are usually family members and all aim at procreation. It's not uncommon on societies with hundreds or thousands of individuals having specific roles instead of all the individuals doing the same things and procreating being the final goal for every individual. (Apologizes for off-topic ^^')

On 1/18/2020 at 8:25 AM, AuraChicken said:

Yes, that is what both shows are trying to imply. I completely agree with you on the low/no sex drive thing. People can be happy in so many ways, without having sex. It really doesn't seem like too hard of a concept to me. 

I often feel that I'm way happier than people who have to worry about sex or lack of it, and all the dating struggle and stuff you have to deal with 😉

On 1/18/2020 at 4:26 PM, Serran said:

Well, to be fair, in House the main character is a complete jerk who thinks everyone has to be like him (miserable and hates everyone, to the point he literally ruins his life and every relationship he ever has). And he's the one that says everything will be "normal" to the guy. And the guy saying he's asexual freaks when he hears the news, because the idea of wanting sex is very not good to him. The lying wife who is sexual and only pretended to not want sex is happy to hear from the doctor it can be "fixed". We never actually see any change in the guy who IDs as asexual. And House's best friend who isnt a jerk was supportive of people not wanting sex and being happy. 

So.. I prefer to think of it as an example of a jerk doctor who thinks fixing hormone levels will fix lack of desire for sex. So a nice representation of some things aces go through. 

This is a good point of view. It does introduce asexuality and show our struggle to the public. I think it's not "so bad it was better if that episode was never made". Anyhow, I think it's pity that Dr. House was never actually proven wrong. We know how inconceivable being ace sounds to many allos. If they've let with the freedom of imaging it was either the character being ace or a disease, which one you think they'll conclude? The only thing majority of allos probably remember from that episode is "not wanting sex is a disease and people call it asexuality just because they don't want to be called sick".

BlakeTheNightowl~

Florence is so relatable to me ! xD ace representation 👏👏🤘🤘💕💕

"Sex doesn't make us whole. And so, how could you ever be broken?"

*cries*

Yes!!!! I just watched that episode and came straight to the forum to see if anyone else had mentioned it!!

I cried, too. I cried tears of joy with the biggest smile on my face. 

Last year, I literally found myself watching the show as a way to understand sexual people because they're a mystery to me. I kind of like the show, but it's just okay for me, until now. I have never seen an ace character in any show or movie before and the representation made my day. I especially when she mentioned that some aces are romantic because I feel like being a romantic ace is super hard to explain and just seeing it represented makes me feel stronger. I'm excited to see what happens next for that character! 🍰

I'm glad that a show, particularly a popular one like this one, finally has deccent representation of asexuality (they also had bi and pan representation which is either rare or treated as being slutty in most tv shows) but aside from this, other shows just don't mention or recognize asexuality as actually existing in media. The worst times I've seen it pop up is when people were arguing over the erasure of Jughead's asexuality in Riverdale and in House  when a character stated that both they and there partner were ace and it turned out to be a "medical condition" and their partner was just lying to impress them. So this is definitely refreshing.

On 1/21/2020 at 4:56 PM, AnneBonny159 said:

Same. I think it really highlighted how naive and insensitive this advice is and it's what SO MANY people suggest as advice to ace people - "oh you've just not had good sex yet" and all that bullshit. Like you say, Jean explaining that she's not broken and being ace is real and valid was SO important in contrast to how Otis handled it, and just shows how hard it can be for asexuals to deal with allosexual people who just don't get it.

I cried, too. Partly because I wasn't expecting it - I'd hoped they would include an ace character but figured there is sooooo much to cover that we wouldn't get a look in. Even when they introduced Florence I didn't let myself hope, and then it happened and that scene was so perfect and heartfelt and just... important.

The other thing that got me was how... sad? Jean seemed when she explained it. Almost like she was sad because she knows even though finding a label and feeling "normal" is amazing, Florence is still probably going to have a really hard time. Especially since they mentioned how someone could want a romantic relationship but not a sexual one. I just really felt it.

I love this show! I really hope Florence is back for season 3 (mostly just cause she's badass and awesome and Scottish, 15/10 ace representation in mainstream media!!!)

Florence is my badass ace theatre kid icon

Haven't watched the show, but I saw the clip of Florence with the sex therapist...oh my God, I'm crying ^'_^' I know it was short and everything, but it felt so good have that acknowledgment and validation. That last line got me so much, it's what I needed to hear when I was first realizing my asexuality😭🖤

(Also I just started getting into X Files like a week ago, so seeing Gillian Anderson in the scene made it extra awesome)

• 2 weeks later...
RogueAceOfHearts

I only watched a few clips after I looked up 'asexuality' on tumblr and saw gifs of that scene.

I also immediately started crying because it was just so nice to see someone validating ace people!!

I also absolutely loved this scene! Especially the discussion around feeling "broken" and the beautiful way that Jean responded. I'm relatively new to the ace community and to see this representation within such a popular show made me so happy 😊 

Archived