Ham and cheese

Why do you think semisexal isn't a thing?

Philip027

So what? Is choice a bad thing?

I'm not defending the "semisexual" label, I agree that it's a perfect example of a situation when an explanation is better than a label, but I absolutely reject the idea that asexuality should be accepted because it's supposedly an inborn trait. Never having sex is as good (in the moral sense) as having sex, so regardless of the reasons why I don't want to have sex with anyone, other people have to respect it.

I'm not too sure what you're getting at here so I'll split my response into two to cover both bases:

1) The implication that asexuality ISN'T an inborn trait is harmful in ways that I'm not sure you fully comprehend.  It lends credence to the idea that it's something made up or something that's just the result of trauma; a problem that can be treated/fixed just like any other sort of hyposexuality disorder, but asexuality isn't any more of a disorder than being gay is.  It will automatically be treated less seriously if we assume that it's something that can be "learned", because then we must also assume that it can be "unlearned". 

2) Yes, people should still be respected for electing not to have sex, but that's still not what asexuality is; that's celibacy.

CBC

Is celibacy not considered an orientation at this point? Celibasexual? 

Anthracite_Impreza
34 minutes ago, CBC said:

For the love of the gods, don't let this idea reach tumblr.

• Like 2

HikaruBG
31 minutes ago, CBC said:

I was going to say "Be careful what you wish for" but then I realized that at this point, it is too late. I mean there is probably someone out there how came up with a label that basically describes celibacy.

I mean, this....

...Semisexual: Somebody who is fluid in regards to sexual attraction. Someone who has a sexual attraction and is fully capable of experiencing romantic and feelings towards someone but chooses to refrain from doing so due to discomfort or a strong feeling of being judged by someone else

.... already sounds like it describes celibacy in a sense.

(I guess closeted homosexuals are Semisexuals now???)

R_1

I always thought semisexual means half-asexual and half-sexual. You do or do not want sex at the same time. You do not know if what you feel is sexual attraction because you are forever at the limbo state of being. A curse basically because you dont know.

Anthracite_Impreza
2 minutes ago, R_1 said:

I always thought semisexual means half-asexual and half-sexual. You do or do not want sex at the same time. You do not know if what you feel is sexual attraction because you are forever at the limbo state of being. A curse basically because you dont know.

That's called being confused, which is also not an orientation. I'm confused by lots of things; if I care enough I generally try to figure it out.

• Like 1

R_1
1 minute ago, Anthracite_Impreza said:

That's called being confused, which is also not an orientation. I'm confused by lots of things; if I care enough I generally try to figure it out.

Yes, but theoretically as odd as it may be, someone could be confused of their sexuality even up to the age where they'll meet their grave even if they try to make things clear.

CBC
6 minutes ago, R_1 said:

half-asexual and half-sexual

That makes no logical sense though. You can't be partly asexual if you desire sex sometimes. You're just a sexual person who goes through periods of no interest for whatever reason, or is unsure of themselves.

R_1
1 minute ago, CBC said:

That makes no logical sense though. You can't be partly asexual if you desire sex sometimes. You're just a sexual person who goes through periods of no interest for whatever reason, or is unsure of themselves.

But, what if you're forever stuck on the limbo of just not knowing if you were really attracted even up to the days where you'll be meeting your grave?

Anthracite_Impreza
1 minute ago, R_1 said:

But, what if you're forever stuck on the limbo of just not knowing if you were really attracted even up to the days where you'll be meeting your grave?

Do what I do with my gender: male-ish. Not 100% sure. Probably just male but sort of enby. Trying to come up with a label for every level of confusion will simply lead to no one understanding or taking any label seriously.

• Like 2

CBC
4 minutes ago, R_1 said:

Just say you aren't really certain, I imagine? Does uncertainty need a label?

R_1
6 minutes ago, CBC said:

Just say you aren't really certain, I imagine? Does uncertainty need a label?

No, it doesn't. That's not saying that such a concept can't exist. Hence, why I brought it up.

HikaruBG
26 minutes ago, R_1 said:

I always thought semisexual means half-asexual and half-sexual.

In all honesty, this is what I thought "demisexual" meant when I originally heard about it.

Much like how "demigod" means half-god, half-human, demisexual should follow the same logic, wouldn't it?

CBC

Not an illogical conclusion based on the meaning of those prefixes. Poorly-chosen terms, imo.