Why do you think semisexal isn't a thing?

Ham and cheese

What does this term convey that grey/greysexual doesn't already?

• Like 1

Probably because it sounds more circumstantial than a sexual orientation:

Semisexual: Someone who has a sexual attraction and is fully capable of experiencing romantic feelings towards someone but chooses to refrain from doing so due to discomfort or a strong feeling of being judged by someone else.

I don't really see it as anything other than a more specific form of abstinence ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

And abstinence isn't asexuality, because abstinence means there's at least some part of you that desires sex (you can't abstain from something you don't want in the first place)

Anthracite_Impreza

Yeah not being funny but that's just... anxiety. And I have anxiety, about everything. I have generalised anxiety disorder, performance anxiety, specific phobia and social anxiety, I'm most certainly not making light of it.

... but anxiety isn't an orientation, it's a challenge at best and disorder at worst. An orientation is the way in which you swing.

• Like 1

Yayyyyyyyy, yet another label to look into when I have time. I'll put it on my bucket list.

• Like 1
Anthracite_Impreza
4 minutes ago, CBC said:

What if you're attracted to anxious people. :ph34r:

Then you've just broken my example and I shall have to have your head for it.

• Like 1
Anthracite_Impreza
Just now, CBC said:

That's fair, I'm not using it for much these days. 😂

That made me laugh way more than it should've done. Here's a corgi using its head in a productive fashion to inspire you.

Spoiler

2kueViGJwnMlbZA-RPIkxpdUEWmkOS6jTvBgDMrG

• Like 1

:unsure: A few sites seem to give completely different definitions for "semisexual." It's confusing, and I'm sure it's confusing for others, too, who are trying to educate themselves and read about LGBT+ definitions.

From https://thoughtcatalog.com/lisa-woods/2015/09/pansexual-and-11-other-new-sexual-identities-you-might-not-know-about-yet/

...Semisexual: They like sex and maybe even want to have it sometimes but they’re into the idea enough to actually go through with the act...

From https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=semisexual

semisexual

Someone who feels sexual attraction but has no desire to act on it.
Someone who does not feel sexual attraction but has a libido.

From what used to be aminoapps.com › lgbt-1 › page › item › semisexual (This page, showing at the top of internet searches, doesn't exist, anymore.)

...Semisexual: Somebody who is fluid in regards to sexual attraction. Someone who has a sexual attraction and is fully capable of experiencing romantic and feelings towards someone but chooses to refrain from doing so due to discomfort or a strong feeling of being judged by someone else.

13 minutes ago, LeChat said:

From https://thoughtcatalog.com/lisa-woods/2015/09/pansexual-and-11-other-new-sexual-identities-you-might-not-know-about-yet/

...Semisexual: They like sex and maybe even want to have it sometimes but they’re into the idea enough to actually go through with the act...

This one didn't even care to correct errors, since they left out a little negation in the second part of the sentence... "they're into the idea enough to go through"

• Like 1

I didn't even know what this was until reading through this thread, it actually sounds like me, haha!!!

I wouldn't use the term though because 1) people would look at me funny and 2) I'd then have to explain what it is anyway, so I may as well just explain it from the start.

Saying "I really like the idea of certain sex acts but not enough to actually go through with having them" is simple enough and really sums things up nicely without needing to use a label no one has heard of ^_^

AceMissBehaving
3 hours ago, CBC said:

How about... we just decide not to use it.

What if we use it as a honeypot for the not really asexual asexuals?

• Like 1

Looking at the definitions put forward, I get the impression that semisexual is elective, rather than innate. 

• Like 1
everywhere and nowhere
2 hours ago, Skycaptain said:

Looking at the definitions put forward, I get the impression that semisexual is elective, rather than innate. 

So what? Is choice a bad thing?

I'm not defending the "semisexual" label, I agree that it's a perfect example of a situation when an explanation is better than a label, but I absolutely reject the idea that asexuality should be accepted because it's supposedly an inborn trait. Never having sex is as good (in the moral sense) as having sex, so regardless of the reasons why I don't want to have sex with anyone, other people have to respect it.

So what? Is choice a bad thing?

I'm not defending the "semisexual" label, I agree that it's a perfect example of a situation when an explanation is better than a label, but I absolutely reject the idea that asexuality should be accepted because it's supposedly an inborn trait. Never having sex is as good (in the moral sense) as having sex, so regardless of the reasons why I don't want to have sex with anyone, other people have to respect it.

I'm not too sure what you're getting at here so I'll split my response into two to cover both bases:

1) The implication that asexuality ISN'T an inborn trait is harmful in ways that I'm not sure you fully comprehend.  It lends credence to the idea that it's something made up or something that's just the result of trauma; a problem that can be treated/fixed just like any other sort of hyposexuality disorder, but asexuality isn't any more of a disorder than being gay is.  It will automatically be treated less seriously if we assume that it's something that can be "learned", because then we must also assume that it can be "unlearned". 

2) Yes, people should still be respected for electing not to have sex, but that's still not what asexuality is; that's celibacy.

Anthracite_Impreza
34 minutes ago, CBC said:

Is celibacy not considered an orientation at this point? Celibasexual? 

For the love of the gods, don't let this idea reach tumblr.

• Like 2
31 minutes ago, CBC said:

Is celibacy not considered an orientation at this point? Celibasexual? 

I was going to say "Be careful what you wish for" but then I realized that at this point, it is too late. I mean there is probably someone out there how came up with a label that basically describes celibacy.

I mean, this....

...Semisexual: Somebody who is fluid in regards to sexual attraction. Someone who has a sexual attraction and is fully capable of experiencing romantic and feelings towards someone but chooses to refrain from doing so due to discomfort or a strong feeling of being judged by someone else

.... already sounds like it describes celibacy in a sense.

(I guess closeted homosexuals are Semisexuals now???)

I always thought semisexual means half-asexual and half-sexual. You do or do not want sex at the same time. You do not know if what you feel is sexual attraction because you are forever at the limbo state of being. A curse basically because you dont know.

Anthracite_Impreza
2 minutes ago, R_1 said:

I always thought semisexual means half-asexual and half-sexual. You do or do not want sex at the same time. You do not know if what you feel is sexual attraction because you are forever at the limbo state of being. A curse basically because you dont know.

That's called being confused, which is also not an orientation. I'm confused by lots of things; if I care enough I generally try to figure it out.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Anthracite_Impreza said:

That's called being confused, which is also not an orientation. I'm confused by lots of things; if I care enough I generally try to figure it out.

Yes, but theoretically as odd as it may be, someone could be confused of their sexuality even up to the age where they'll meet their grave even if they try to make things clear.

1 minute ago, CBC said:

That makes no logical sense though. You can't be partly asexual if you desire sex sometimes. You're just a sexual person who goes through periods of no interest for whatever reason, or is unsure of themselves.

But, what if you're forever stuck on the limbo of just not knowing if you were really attracted even up to the days where you'll be meeting your grave?

Anthracite_Impreza
1 minute ago, R_1 said:

But, what if you're forever stuck on the limbo of just not knowing if you were really attracted even up to the days where you'll be meeting your grave?

Do what I do with my gender: male-ish. Not 100% sure. Probably just male but sort of enby. Trying to come up with a label for every level of confusion will simply lead to no one understanding or taking any label seriously.

• Like 2
6 minutes ago, CBC said:

Just say you aren't really certain, I imagine? Does uncertainty need a label?

No, it doesn't. That's not saying that such a concept can't exist. Hence, why I brought it up.

26 minutes ago, R_1 said:

I always thought semisexual means half-asexual and half-sexual.

In all honesty, this is what I thought "demisexual" meant when I originally heard about it.

Much like how "demigod" means half-god, half-human, demisexual should follow the same logic, wouldn't it?