Where’s my DnD players at?

Gwaeron

Tell me about your characters, valiant adventurers 😎😬

I’m currently a Half-Elf Fighter/Eldritch Knight in one life and the pretending-to-be-omniscient creator of the world (also known as DM) in the other 😏

i dont play a lot (but im looking to play with a new group) but my last character was an elf druid who did his best lol

I really wanna learn how to be a DM to play with my friends for an hour each week.

Last character I played with was a half-orc named Grog. Grog wasn't his real name however. His real name was Vuwqrity which means "Disgrace" in Infernal (since disgrace in orcish is still disgrace). He was ousted from his village after they discovered he was only half orc. He traveled from town to town trying to find a way to prove himself a true hero to earn his clan's respect and be welcomed back. Since no one knew his real name and he was commonly found in the local tavern he was called Grog after the drink he was most seen with. He later started referring to himself as Grog. 

I'm currently playing a 9th-level human grave cleric named Galena, and I love her too much.

She began the campaign worshiping a god of death who doesn't like it when people are brought back to life. At level 3 she was killed by zombies in a haunted mansion, however due to circumstances another god named Dimitri brought her back to life. She is now a devoted follower of Dimitri (who is really just a random npc that all us players got waaayyy too attached to and asked/forced the DM to add to the pantheon), and is struggling with what to do with the old death god who is furious that she left his service. Dimitri isn't at his full power though, so she only occasionally gets her cleric powers, using a war hammer in combat when she can't cast spells. As such, we have completely derailed the campaign to search for a way to get Dimitri his powers back and become the powerful god we know he was always meant to be. The DM is still extremely happy with the direction this is going, even if this isn't what he intended to happen, and we are all having a lot of fun!

I play in one campaign and DM for another.  I'm also working on a one-shot for my university's mini-convention.

Currently playing Breeze, an air genasi monk. I never thought I'd like playing a lawful character (she's lawful good) but it's actually kind of refreshing because I always know where she stands on different stuff that happens. And sometimes it's so painful because I really want to do something but I know she never would!! I've/she's also done a lot of weird stuff to avoid combat (begging, playing the "but I'm a peaceful monk" card, causing a gentle rumbling of the earth, you know, the usual) :P

Haven't played D&D in years, but used to do it a lot camping and backpacking. It is perfect for that. I just don't know enough people with enough free time now, though, unfortunately.

My favorite character was a chaotic neutral cleric, back in 3rd edition. A neutral cleric is an interesting line to walk, but I found a god that worked nicely. Fharlanghn, god of roads and travelers. So she was basically a drifter tending to roadside shrines and protecting travelers. This is the only character that I experimented on using a horse with. Horses  are way more trouble than they're worth for the DM, especially with combat, but caring for her horse was fun RP.

She died at a high level from a meteor swarm. Her deity trait was luck, which allowed a reroll once a day, and she failed interrupts and saves and took the full hit. Basically one-shotted. No chance rolling like that. RIP. It basically ended our entire campaign, though I switched to controlling a generic arcane archer... but once you get to high levels like that, campaigns tend to peter out. We were done.

I'd love to find a local group, but since college... just not enough people.

Cross Stitching

I’m currently playing a 9th level dwarf bard named Hilda. Before session one it was clarified that she was a young dwarf (consider a teenager), that inherited a family curse. (Hence why she had to leave her family at such a ‘young’ age).

She has now been teleported to a new world, became captain of a ship, and made friends with a vampire. (She at least thinks they are friends). Needless to say, she and her companions did a big favor for said vampire, and managed to ask her to turn her. 

Now she’s a vampire (DM broke down the vampire class into levels so it wouldn’t mess up party dynamics), and she has to wrestle with her changing thoughts over life and what it means to be good. . . 

How does one find people to play DnD with? I tried for a couple of years back in HS but none of my nerdy friends actually played it. Also, are there any online versions of it (or anything similar) for either multiplayer or solo?

Started at my local uni! Currently playing a halfling warlock named Hugh Tuber, trying to indoctrinate the masses to "subscribe" to his "Patron" lol! ...his Patron's name is Gogh Ûlh 😂

@Acetheist  I know there's like a "dating" app that let's you find local groups trying to start a campaign, or I'd just look into any video/ games clubs at your uni/HS/college (if you go to them) or even try to just see if anyone your friends might know who are playing. If nothing else, try to find a group online (if you feel comfortable) and you can talk over discord or Skype. Remember to always be safe when looking though just an fyi, but don't be afraid to reach out :^)

4 hours ago, Acetheist said:

How does one find people to play DnD with? I tried for a couple of years back in HS but none of my nerdy friends actually played it. Also, are there any online versions of it (or anything similar) for either multiplayer or solo?

1) Just because your nerdy friends don't play it, doesn't mean you can't talk them into playing it! :D I spun up a DnD group when in High School with none of my friends ever having played, and we kept that going for yeaaaaars

2) Meetup.com - at least in my region, it's absolutely awesome for finding groups to play with. Tons of groups on the lookout all the time! :D

3) You could use Wizard's Store Locator and search for Adventurer's League groups there. Then play a couple times in store and ask some of the players you enjoy playing with if they want to spin it off into a group (Store Locator: https://locator.wizards.com/event-reservations-web/?searchType=dnd )

Those three approaches definitely have all worked great for me :D (In Germany there's also a very active website that's dedicated to finding DnD groups that I used a ton in the past - haven't seen anything like that in the US yet, but there might be local equivalents around based on your city or state)

I was super lucky to come across an advert for a DnD beginner event at a café. I also found a poster advertising a forum website for local groups at the game store. Keep a look out in nerdy spaces like game or comic stores, gamer cafés or similar. Alternatively, talk some friends into it 😃

Cross Stitching

@Acetheist, if you have a gaming store in your area (think magic the gathering/yugioh meetup places, or even rc cars/miniature war gaming places), they possibly/probably have a  role playing niche group in the background too. If your gaming store has a website/Facebook page, search their events for anything dnd related (or adventures league like @Dreamer23 says. The league is set up to pop different players in weekly to try out the game. 

If there are no gaming stores in your area, check out the public library! In the last few years ours has had intro days to different hobbies during the summer months, including dnd! 

Thanks, everyone! I'll definitely be looking into those options (suddenly I'm really excited to get into DnD!), I never was able to ask anyone about this - I'm fairly shy and introverted at first - so I'm really grateful for all your replies!

DnD actually helped me reduce shyness a lot. I can hide behind characters with low charisma stat and suddenly it’s perfectly acceptable that I’m horrible at natural sounding conversation. 😄

The first group I played with also played in a language that I make quite obvious mistakes in when speaking, but I built it into my character saying she’s from far away isolated place, and not that educated, so her “common” is a bit off. The more we played, the more I (both in and out of character) practiced the language and got better, so unintended educational bonus too.

I'm in my first proper campaign now! My character is an earth genasi bard, which is ironic because he's not much of a smooth talker at all. I'm the same as @Gwaeren when it comes to natural-sounding conversation so I go the opposite route where I can hide behind his high charisma skill and extreme personality. It made me nervous at first because I'm not a role-player but I think playing him really helped me to let loose!

My character is a true neutral but many things about him are chaotic. When he performs spells I either play clips of people playing bagpipes badly or tell your mama jokes. 

Unleash the Echidnas
On 1/15/2020 at 5:23 PM, Gwaeren said:

Tell me about your characters, valiant adventurers 😎

I haven't played in a quite a while, but lots of characters (mostly 2ed so, yeah, a while). A few of the ones that I had the most fun with:

Klyshin: research mage who started with Tenser's floating disc and came up with a bunch of force field spells. The campaign ran out before she got to use her sawblade variant of fireball/lightning bolt in a siege though, which was too bad as I was rather looking forward to disassembling some siege towers and rams (as well as trying out a longer range version for trebuchets and catapults). Klyshin also ended with an extradimensional backpack the party usually lived inside of when travelling (long story involving a major god who owed her a favor), which tended to prove entertaining when a random encounter called for someone to steal what they thought was an unattended backpack.

Tonnohai: gnome thief/illusionist on his own after escaping from an abusive master. Built for a short-lived play by email campaign and the DM liked Tonnohai's backstory so much when I submitted the character design he rebuilt the planned plot around it. I was wanting to see where it would go, but no luck. So the last thing Tonnohai got do was use his tumbling skills to escape out a second floor window of inn during a sneak attack. Waanh.

Kashkorgan: fighter/thief/mage triple class with a business in finding obscure magic items and whatnot with sidelines in, well, basically everything that was at least quasi-legal about couriering, merchanting small and valuable goods, and suchlike. Invisibility and move silently proved a useful combination in avoiding bandit ambushes, which lead to running intelligence with merchant convoys and setting up stings with knights of the realm. We left that one with a cool setup the DM had come up with where an underwater temple with a gate to somewhere could only be accessed once a year when the gate opened and drained the lake.

Voith: paladin I injected into a group of particularly hapless players I was DMing for. Not something I like doing but they needed some serious help moving the plot along and avoiding TPKs. So I got to play a literally holier than thou tank with some healing powers, which was quite an entertaining departure from my usual. We got a bit silly---at one point a PC shapeshifter got stuck as a tree and ended up asking how the sky tasted, for example---and I broke the fourth wall a couple times for comedic purposes but it was fun. Eventually the PC priest of Vulcan got himself set up with a forge and a predictably buff congregation and I could let Voith wander off on her own.

On 1/25/2020 at 11:05 AM, Dreamer23 said:

Meetup.com ... Wizard's Store Locator

Nothing that's less than two hours round trip for me, unfortunately, and the only sort of local gaming store doesn't do D&D (just Magic and some other card things). There is a private gaming club here that I had to search a bit to find. Haven't tried it out due to a combination of lack of time, their kinda steep enrollment fee (one time), regular door fees, and membership upkeep requirements. Kind of an interesting arrangement and it'd probably be OK if one had the time to hang out there regularly. Not sure I'll ever get un-busy enough for it make sense.

It'd be nice to find a chat based/discord type of group that met a couple hours a week, though. Maybe in a few months I'll have a predictable enough schedule for that to work.

Anthracite_Impreza

I play D&D with my bestest AVEN buddies 💚 I was hella nervous about it but they said I could play as a car via warforged so I went for it :P The first one's name is Vellus, the only car in that particular world (based on a Rover P6), built by a farmer to take over from his aging horse. The other villagers found out and decreed Vellus was unnatural and an affront to the blacksmithing god he was named after, so killed Vellus' creator and went after him too. Vellus was forced to flee and is now just looking for someone who won't kill him :c He started off quite sweet but now he's kinda a sarcastic, though well-meaning, bastard, just like the KITT from Knight Rider he's based on 💖 He's also basically the group's ambulance because he doesn't fight much but has healing spells (we have genuinely considered decking him out in ambulance colours). We invented fantasy Halfords in this world and Vellus owns all the trade discount cards xD

My second campaign is also via AVEN and features my two oldest OCs, Treasach and Dubhthach, basically adapted for D&D (still an ongoing process >.<). Because in canon they are daemonic cars, they're effectively a warforged/tiefling hybrid. The reason there are two is because they are one Jensen Interceptor with a split personality - Dubhthach, a psychopathic mafia boss and assassin and Treasach, a paranoid, effectively imprisoned empath who basically does whatever his alter says lest he do even worse things in revenge. In this campaign they are acting as a retainer to a young paladin on his quest, though Dubhthach has the ulterior motive of trying to get him killed (in a heroic fashion) for the father of the family. Treasach doesn't know this, but is desperately trying to keep him alive anyway, scared of what his alter's up to. Treasach has grown very attached to the young paladin, especially since he's the only one he can have any sort of friendship with, and even if said youngster won't accept there are two personalities cos he's a bit dense. It's certainly fun playing these two, especially when I'm never 100% exactly when the personalities are gonna switch!

I mentioned this before on another thread, but I finally got around to making a blog to share my worldbuilding surplus.

https://mappingthegoblincaves.blogspot.com/

My creative process has a way of yielding odds and ends that aren't really relevant to the story at hand, interesting though they may be.

Custard Cream

I'm in the same two campaigns as @Anthracite_Impreza.

In one I am a female  drow rogue, Xaliente, with a very bad attitude.

In the other, I'm a hapless and pathetic human paladin boy named Leonis,  sharing a joint backstory with Anth. Poor Leonis is probably not going to live for very long, especially when one alter of his retainer is being paid to kill him...

Currently, I’m a human barbarian named Juno in a Salem-Witch-Trials-like world. Currently I have a dead boy named Lockhard on my back and am being lassoed towards my death 😮🤗

I've been working on a new character for my brother's next campaign- Hoatzin, an aaracokra wizard.

Her character design is based on a bearded vulture, so when you combine that with wizard robes, she looks like one of the Skeksis from The Dark Crystal.

Despite appearances, she's actually quite the sweet summer child.

Skeletonducky

DID SOMEONE SAY HECKIN' DUNGEONS AND DRAGONS?!?!

I'm with @Anthracite_Impreza and @Custard Cream, plaiying as an elvish barbarian kleptomaniac and an old dwarf veteran fighter.

...I also DM for several groups...

DnD dominates my life and I have accepted this. Also, I can DM if any of y'all want...

oooh wow there’s an aven group? 😮 I don’t have much experience playing online, how do you manage it tech-wise? Like my group tried it few times over summer holiday when everyone was gone but shitty discord connections were annoying and now nobody wants to do that anymore.

Custard Cream
1 hour ago, Gwaeren said:

oooh wow there’s an aven group? 😮 I don’t have much experience playing online, how do you manage it tech-wise? Like my group tried it few times over summer holiday when everyone was gone but shitty discord connections were annoying and now nobody wants to do that anymore.

Yeah, we use Discord, which is hit or miss sometimes!

I've had way, way too many characters to go over in one post - I've been playing D&D in some form for about 25 years now, starting with AD&D 1E, and some of those campaigns have been very large ones that generate a lot of characters. In my regular family game, with my mother and my brother, I have something like 30 characters just right now. That one's still 3E; it's rather specialized (we take turns DMing with the same characters within the same world, because there are only three of us), very epic level, and slowly winding towards an end, so we never considered converting it to 5E. I've been in a couple of 5E games, though I've yet to DM one.

Some current/recent characters to follow, as well as three notable older characters. I'm keeping myself to that, because otherwise I could end up rambling about various characters and campaigns for far too long. The best/most recent art I've done of them, if applicable, in spoilers.

5E (all online games, using Roll20 and Discord)

Étienne: a half-elven paladin who was trying to live up to his ancestor's dragon-defeating legacy, but ended up in Ravenloft instead (because it was a Ravenloft game, natch); ended up helping to cause an insurrection in Vallaki and installed a fellow party member as the leader of a new sun religion after the group defeated Strahd. Despite being very charismatic, the only time he ever actually rolled well on a charisma check was while stirring up the insurrection.

Vakedri: a tiefling warlock who grew up on the streets with their sister, a bard (also a PC); this campaign ended in the middle of it, but they were receiving a variety of visions from their demonic patron about ultimate power lurking beneath the streets of the city that the PCs found themselves in, and were definitely going to get the group into some kind of trouble if we'd kept that game going.

Spoiler

morganlees_vakedri.png

Gi'lan: a Githyanki fighter, one of the few survivors of a crashed astral ship bearing members of the Sha'sal Kohu. He was trained as a warrior in the traditions of the Githyanki until he was old enough to be sent to the academy, which was where the adventure began. He was a serious sort who did well at his studies, and kept getting drawn into various hijinks by other members of the group (including racing airships), and when the campaign paused/ended was still having trouble dealing with the adventure where the group went back in time and tried to stop the astral ship from crashing, but ended up rescuing his father from a strange dimensional prison instead. When last seen, had acquired a sword that was supposed to help defeat a demon that they were trying to kill.

3E (just the one game, but a selection of 9 favourite characters plus the newest one)

Vexielzethix: a paragon Tarterian dragon assassin/fighter, who the party rescued some time ago from the clutches of Yashmael, an Infernal that was trying to take over the planes. Vex (as he is typically called) has worked through a lot of issues and is definitely a more balanced individual than he was when he was first rescued, but he's still got some definite quirks. He's also one of the better fighters the group's intergalactic organization has, and his dedication to the cause - stopping the multiverse from being destroyed/taken over by unknown agents from beyond the multiverse's edge - has led to his alignment gradually sliding from neutral evil to true neutral. He really doesn't do the assassination stuff any more. Those levels... aren't good for much at this point.

Spoiler

morganlees_vex.png

Ithenrael: a grey elven sorcerer and child of Bhaal, Ithenrael has never quite got over the fact that somebody else beat him to it and became the new Lord of Murder. He's still looking to become a god in his own right, but it hasn't happened yet. He favours epic destruction magic, the more people killed at once the better. While he is neutral evil, there's a good chance he wouldn't actually have enjoyed being the Lord of Murder anyhow, because he's really not so much into the murder thing - more the "blowing people apart with magic" thing - but that's something that he hasn't quite admitted to himself.

Spoiler

morganlees_childofmurder.png

Retgar Nyatar: a half-elven fighter, childhood friend and adventuring companion of Ithenrael's. He's a bit out there, having come to the conclusion over his adventures that the line between brilliance and madness is so blurred as to be almost non-existant, but he's determined to get things done and also protect his long-time friend. He's always up for a dungeon dive, if the opportunity presents itself, believing that these places hold the secrets to the universe.

Spoiler

morganlees_iatvcretgar.png

Kuzimiyel Bloodsun: elven cleric/fighter/Divine Emissary, who was killed during one large mission and was then sent back as Gorthimaur's Divine Champion; has had something of a chip on their shoulder since returning, because what was an entirely reasonable belief that they were roughly as powerful as another Divine Emissary of a different god in the group is now completely delusional, since she grew quite a lot in power while they were dead. Kuzimiyel is focused on war, strategy, and the mission above almost all else, and now that their city has conquered the regions around it and regained its formal imperial footprint again, they've been having some trouble refocusing (plus a lot of disorientation from the 'being sent back' thing). Originally joined the group to help defeat one of the city's enemies.

Spoiler

morganlees_championofgorthimaur.png

Segrinarix: Battle dragon fighter/Legendary Dreadnought, Segri is party of a network of ancient dragons who have been dictating war and conquest on the Earth for thousands of years, but who have come together to join the organization and save the multiverse. He's the least of them in terms of strategy (he mostly listens to Ansgar for that) but the best in terms of fighting, and currently leads one of the top teams along with the other prominent draconic leaders. His daughter, who had been trapped in Dis for centuries, was also recently rescued; he's been trying to help her get back up to speed about he state of the world.

Spoiler

morganlees_segri.png

Anzegarnox "Ansgar": a copper dragon paladin who met Segri during the Crusades (and has a lot of regrets about that time in his life), Ansgar is the strategic mind behind Segri's war machine. He also currently co-leads a team. He has been having some trouble coping with the secrets about he multiverse that the organization has been learning, but he's a practical sort, and has mostly adjusted to it. He is probably the most serious copper dragon that anyone is likely to meet.

Spoiler

morganlees_ansgar.png

Aztoradiriax "Astrid": a copper dragon barbarian, Ansgar's sister, Astrid spent a lot of her younger years pillaging the countryside and generally not being a great sort, but she turned over a new leaf some several hundred years and ago and has been working more towards the good of the people of her country (who have no idea that she's the same person who did all that conquering six hundred years earlier, because until recently they had no idea dragons and other fantasy species existed). She gives the impression of not taking things very seriously, but the situation does worry her.

Spoiler

morganlees_astrid.png

Deryanxalxivur "Deryn": a blue dragon ranger who took up with Astrid during her pillaging days, but was never really much for it, Deryn is mostly a loner and prefers to be out and about in nature. She has a fiercely competitive streak, and tends to compare herself to all of the other archers that come through, no matter how good the comparison is. She would like nothing more than for this problem to be solved so she can stop worrying about rather or not the material plane is going to break apart soon and go back out in the woods.

Spoiler

morganlees_deryn.png

Zor'taj Chaon-ka, formerly known as Soul-of-Fury: a paragon Githyanki wilder, he made a doomed bargain thousands of years ago that sold out his entire planet to an evil red dragon god, and was spared from the destruction of his people only to mock him for his foolishness. He became an adventurer for a time, gaining immortality by defeating Death in one dungeon, but devoted his life to the destruction of the red dragon god - a goal he eventually achieved with the help of the organization. Having achieved that goal, he is now dedicated to keeping the multiverse intact. He hopes that he still has a Sigil to return home to when this is all over.

Azanahar: an angel fighter who went rogue to hunt the primary foe of the organization thousands of years ago, Azanahar has finally come to the conclusion that they aren't going to be able to do it alone, and has joined the organization. While they might be slightly fallen, they're still dedicated to the cause of good - it's just that using the means of good may have somewhat fallen by the wayside.

Notable Older Characters

Nedla: a (1E) human cleric, Nedla was the first character I ever played. She was originally lawful good, but that didn't work out - I was no good at playing lawful characters to begin with - but she was staunchly good, and generally tried to lead the party in the right direction. She ended up retiring after many adventures to lead the clergy of Khanhu, her god, on a remote island.

Nerone: a (1E) Kalonian thief (background was that a Kalonian ship had long ago crash-landed on the planet, and that's about all that mattered there), Nerone kept trying for greater and greater feats of thievery, often falling short. One notable incident involved him gaining enmity with Jubilex while trying to escape a dungeon. He ended up establishing himself as the King of Thieves in an underwater city in the ocean, but considering that he got there by stabbing the previous King, it may not have lasted long...

Kalasin: a (1E) half-elven fighter, she was an adventurer seeking glory from one of the smaller islands, and managed to get it. She participated in the slaying of several dragons, helped take out an evil cult, and then retired along with the rest of the group (when we switched to 3E and a new world). She would later re-appear as an epic-level adventurer with her own planar fortress in the current 3E game, but was killed while assaulting the greatest dungeon in the multiverse.

Liareth: a (3E) grey elven necromancer, he started out as a rather ineffective wizard who took a job in the local morgue, and ended up most of the way to becoming a lich and decidedly less innocent. He never exactly intended to do anything bad, but he kept doing things that very definitely were bad, and the trio of liches that ran the country from behind the scenes took notice of him and roped him into their plot.

On 1/27/2020 at 5:08 PM, Custard Cream said:

Yeah, we use Discord, which is hit or miss sometimes!

My online gaming group - with some friends my brother and I used to play with in person, who have since moved to another state - uses Discord, and we keep having trouble with it during the game. Nobody seems to have much trouble with it at any other time.

AllTimeBubble

My current character is an Erfman (homebrew race, essentially like the llamas from llamas with hats but standing on two legs), barbarian thief who loves to collect hands. Her name is Meat Dragon

Archived