Good or bad news?

R_1

AVEN census to picking which news to hear/read  

56 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want good news or bad news first in general?

• Good
    • Bad
    • Either

This poll is closed to new votes

Depends how much the good news assuages the bad news (in which case it's usually better to hear the bad news first).  Sometimes it does, and sometimes it's more like, well...

Doctor: I have some good news and some bad news. The tests showed that you have 24 hours to live.
Patient: What's the good news?
Doctor: That was the good news. The bad news is that I forgot to call you yesterday!

https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/GoodNewsBadNews

Shouldn't there be a 'no clue' option? 😃

If I know there are bad news coming, I won't be able to focus on the good news anyway so it's always better to just get it out of the way. Usually, the more time I'm given to over-think something, the bigger the issue will become in my head. 

Janus the Fox

Neither, just tell me as it is honestly, good or bad.  Tell me what’s most important first.

Not fussed. 

J. van Deijck

I actually prefer to hear bad news first so I can cheer myself up with the good news afterwards. :P

I'd prefer the good news first. Sometimes the good news might not be important if you got the bad news 

Doctor: what do you want, good news or bad news first

Me: bad news

Doctor: you are dying and there is nothing I can do. 

Me: what is the good news? 

Doctor: I now validate parking

Me: I can't drive

I generally prefer the worst news first, because then I don't have to be worrying about it. It's out there.

• 1 year later...

@R_1

This poll is being locked and moved to the read only Census archive for it's respective year. As part of ongoing Census organisation, and in an attempt to keep the demographics of the polls current with the active user base at the time, the polls will last for one year from now on. However, members are allowed and even encouraged to restart new polls similar to the archived ones if they like them.

iff, Census Forum Moderator

Archived