OptimisticPessimist

Non-British: What do you find weird about the UK?

Ortac
5 hours ago, elisabeth_II said:

Is it true that in UK roundabouts, the cars coming INTO the roundabout take presedence over the cars already INSIDE the roundabout?

No, that is not the case. The rule in the UK highway code which applies to all roundabouts is that vehicles must give way (yield) to other vehicles coming from their right, AND to vehicles already on the roundabout.

The only roundabout in the world that I know of where cars coming into the roundabout have priority is the infamous Place de l'Étoile which encircles the Arc de Triomphe in Paris. If you are not familiar with it, search for "Arc de Triomphe traffic" on You Tube. You'll be shocked.

• Like 4

elisabeth_II
1 hour ago, Ortac said:

Arc de Triomphe in Paris

Oh my... I'd do anything to avoid having to pass through there. So, do we have any French people who want to open the weird-about-France-thread? ;D

• Like 1

Eva River

Recently went to France, and the traffic was honestly insane. Glad I wasn't driving 😋

As for the UK (and France for that matter)... there are some seriously old buildings and statues and stuff. Like 200 years old. Or 500 years old. Or 900 years old. That's super weird to me.

Iam9man
1 hour ago, Eva River said:

Recently went to France, and the traffic was honestly insane. Glad I wasn't driving 😋

As for the UK (and France for that matter)... there are some seriously old buildings and statues and stuff. Like 200 years old. Or 500 years old. Or 900 years old. That's super weird to me.

My local church in UK has been expanded over the years, but there’s a part that’s around 950 years old. It’s still standing and forms part of the structure of the church.

Arodash
13 hours ago, Celyn said:

If a Welsh child doesn't display a love of singing by the age of 5 we sacrifice them to the dragon.

I knew it. And i knew you folks where hiding a dragon!!! Show us! Show us your dragon!!!

• Like 3

Arodash

I find it weird that your ancestors handed over a kingdom to a guy with a sword. Who in the heck does this lady in the lake think she is?

Just because some watery tart threw a sword at him doesnt make him king, strange women lieing in ponds, distributing swords is no basis of government. 

• Like 2

Iam9man
38 minutes ago, Arodash said:

Just because some watery tart threw a sword at him doesnt make him king, strange women lieing in ponds, distributing swords is no basis of government. 

Still, a better basis than writing a big lie on a big red bus.

• Like 4

Arodash
8 minutes ago, Iam9man said:

Still, a better basis than writing a big lie on a big red bus.

Wait. Wait. Wait! You mean to tell me politicans lie??????? No, no I refuse to believe that......😂

Iam9man
15 minutes ago, Arodash said:

Wait. Wait. Wait! You mean to tell me politicans lie??????? No, no I refuse to believe that......😂

The (double decker) bus took it to completely new levels!

• Like 1

Arodash
Just now, Iam9man said:

The (double decker) bus took it to completely new levels!

Would you say it DOUBLED it???

I'll see myself out XD

• Like 3

Celyn
11 hours ago, Arodash said:

I knew it. And i knew you folks where hiding a dragon!!! Show us! Show us your dragon!!!

He lives on the grounds of the Celtic Manor resort....

elisabeth_II
10 hours ago, Arodash said:

Would you say it DOUBLED it???

I first thought they meant to say "a higher level", but it feels not really right somehow... 🙃

• Like 1