normal to realize romantic attraction at 19?

Reposting this on the asexuality forum as well.... :)

Hey all, I haven't posted on the forums too much, but I been thinking about this for a while and wanted to get other's opinions. 

Okay so I'm like 90% sure I'm biromantic. I didn't really realize this until I realized I was ace, but my whole life I grew up thinking I was straight. I was sure I only liked boys, but I think I've always had an easier time talking to girls and being around them and although growing up I don't think I ever had a real crush on one, I did ocassionally wonder if I actually was attracted to girls romantically at least a little. I've never been in a relationship, and I've only been on four dates my whole life. I've had a total of four crushes on guys, but I can only really count two, as the first two were in elementary school and middle school, and I don't really think I was actually interested in them romantically, lol. I had a roommate last year I was very close with, and we would snuggle and spend a lot of time together. She's bisexual, but I don't think either of us thought we were more than close friends. 

I grew up religious and have been pretty devout until last year, so maybe it's just that I've repressed these feelings until now in fear of being repremanded or abandoned.

Lately, as I've been hanging out and talking with my friends, I've realized that it wouldn't be all that bad if I were in a romantic relationship with one of them. Like if I could hold her hand and snuggle with her and maybe kiss her? I think that'd be nice. Honestly, I'm a little afraid that I feel this way. I don't want people to think I'm faking to get attention-- I don't want to offend anyone or anything either, and I just feel like it's silly that I didn't realize my romantic attraction to different genders until now, at 19. 

What are you guys's thoughts? Is that weird? Do you think I subdued my feelings growing up? I just want to figure out my feelings toward this one friend and towards men and women in general.

• Like 1
Anthracite_Impreza

I never realised I had romantic feelings until the exact same age, then it hit me all at once. Looking back I did have romantic feelings towards a very few fictional characters and maybe someone IRL (that is both complicated and raw because he's no longer around), but never really realised.

So yes, entirely possible. Although not in the centre of the bell curve, don't think it's that weird either.

• Like 1

I'd say it's normal. I was 18 when I fell in love with somebody of the same sex for the first time. In hindsight I realised I had been having little crushes on people from both genders before that.

• Like 2
Janus the Fox

Totally normal to discover romantic identity later, sometimes much later than the sexual one.  I realised my lack thereof romantic identity much later like 28 years of age.  Being in a same sex relationship confirmed it outright for me.

• Like 1

I didn't really realize anything until late 20s/early 30s thanks to religion and lack of proper sexual orientation education. I wish I knew at 19.

• Like 1