Sandra Bem's Open Sex-Role Inventory

Janus the Fox

Janus the Fox

An interesting take on an online quiz.  There's up to 50 or so questions measuring masculinity and femininity separately rather than against each other.  The questions are on an agreement scale and are quite stereotypical.  The scores are weighted to the nearest 100.  Something to perhaps look into with this theory.

https://openpsychometrics.org/tests/OSRI/?fbclid=IwAR3MM18-znuVVX6D7A2j2BIP3AiBevM2S71WuiakcGBgNdvRpTqf5d-bvEw

My own results plus image

https://openpsychometrics.org/tests/OSRI/results.php?d=Tnpn-09U.2Mc

Spoiler

9PQMHEQ.png

That was an interesting quiz, though, as the quiz itself says too, I wouldn't trust it to determine anything at all.

Here are my results:

Spoiler

vccz2WQ.png

It's honestly not even that far off.

Did it twice.. first time I got Masculinity 104/ Femininity 94 and now I got Masculinity 100/ Femininity 99 because I answered a couple more questions as neutral. It was an odd bunch of questions though..

Masculinity 
Femininity 

OSRIi.php?M=101&F=93

🤷‍♀️

RoseGoesToYale

I am going skating soon, and I did take it, and I will sociologically decimate this thing thoroughly when I return!

RoseGoesToYale

Back and mostly in one piece.

The test questions are understandably stereotypical (and some just strange...), but they box femininity and masculinity stereotypes into two distinct categories: femininity as "creative" and masculinity as "destructive" (or survivalist).

In all seriousness, if somebody got an exceedingly masculine score on this, if the questions are any indication, they should turn themselves into the police. I got questions about guns, obsession with war, and propensity to set dangerous chemicals on fire (the latter is not stereotypically masculine behavior... that is antisocial arsonist behavior!)

A more complete test would include questions about "creative masculinity" and "destructive femininity". An example for creative masculinity might be "I would enjoy leading a scout troop". An example for destructive femininity might be "I would to get cosmetic surgery done." Now, if the questions were randomized from a pool, it's possible I got a particularly bad lot of questions. I would've easily gotten a more androgynous score had I been given more varied questions.

That said, here:

Masculinity: 97

Femininity: 122

OSRIi.php?M=97&F=122

Interesting

These are the results from the Open Sex-Role Inventory.

The OSRI measures two scales. Scores are adjusted so the average is 100.

Masculinity 
Femininity 

Sandra Bem's theory was that both masculinity and femininity were good and the ideal was high levels of both, which she called androgyny. Your scores are graphed below according to her typology.

OSRIi.php?M=83&F=106

Custard Cream

9e2sIGI.jpg

Hmmm... thanks that helped. #genderfluidproblems

7 hours ago, RoseGoesToYale said:

and propensity to set dangerous chemicals on fire

but... setting stuff on fire is fun though? You just have to do it safely. Don't you want to test and see what it does if you set it on fire?

I answered yes to that one for sure

Also, why do you think cosmetic surgery is destructive? You could say it's creative as well, as you are trying to create a look you like.

Maybe destructive femininity would be more like gossiping or other forms of social destructive behavior.

Anyways I do agree that the questions were horribly stereotyped, and I wouldn't trust the test results at all for that reason. But since it's a test for femininity/masculinity, that's kind of a given.

Though I do think it's funny that within this thread the results seem to match people's genders the majority of the time haha.

5 hours ago, CBC said:

Also lol, I love this question. :ph34r: 

61-B69-CD7-46-EB-44-DB-AC36-B2-BA07-CA55

I didn't get that question at all!

I see it as just a bit of fun, but RoseGoesToYale is right of course (love your avatar).

Mine was (very close to that of the OP)

Masculinity 
Femininity 

https://openpsychometrics.org/tests/OSRI/results.php?d=TnpR-09ULWMc

I don't remember the exact wording, but it was something like "did you consider extreme body modification?" I've answered yes as I'm considering medical transition. Does this score as masculine in this test? This would be ironic as I would be femizing my body.

I’m guessing there’s a correlation between “horoscopes are fun” and doing this quiz because that’s how accurate I expect it is 😄

OSRIi.php?M=87&F=99

RoseGoesToYale
5 hours ago, Laurann said:

but... setting stuff on fire is fun though? You just have to do it safely. Don't you want to test and see what it does if you set it on fire?

Haha, not disputing that. I guess I just got the image of that one psycho kid you always see in movies who pours gasoline on trees and tires and stuff and sets it all on fire just 'cause and winds up committing murder or something later on. Or Sid from Toy Story.

Though my friends and I liked burning christmas lights in campfires as kids because pretty colors. Maybe I should've answered neutral to that one? 😅

5 hours ago, Laurann said:

Also, why do you think cosmetic surgery is destructive?

I think for two reasons, first being that a lot of women do it because they feel defective or not pretty enough and want to change some part of their body because it doesn't measure up to a certain beauty standard. The other is that it surgically cuts away or alters parts of the body, which can sometimes go wrong and leave people disfigured, or there can be health complications from improper healing or bad surgical materials (see silicone gel breast implants).

RoseGoesToYale
6 minutes ago, Laurann said:

(What do Christmas lights do when you set them on fire?)

The metals in them make the flames turn all sorts of colors (especially green bc copper wiring). Stay far away from that smoke, though.

Janus the Fox

Yeah not entirely sure but the graph ‘feels’ rather accurate despite the odd questions.  That’s perhaps the point as that theory is put squarely in a social construct.

I'm pretty much 50/50 masculine/feminine according to the easy, OP quiz.

According to the detailed one, I'm 2/3 feminine and 1/3 masculine.

I got more "feminine" scores than I expected to on both tests.  It's probably because I don't like conflict and violence.

100 feminine, 90 masculine, which apparently puts me half-way between undifferentiated and feminine. To be honest I found those questions really strange and not overly meaningful. For a moment I was excited about the question if I like gnus (of course I do!!), but then I discovered I had misread and it said "guns".

Prufrock, but like, worse

"I hit trees with sticks."

I thought this was a gender test, not an age test.

Archived