My Experience (So Far) With Being AroAce

Luna04

Hello! So I’m Luna (that’s my online name at least lol) and I have known for quite a while that I must be different from most other people around me. I have some of those Ace problems, like the classic, getting teased about a secret crush XD as if! Honestly, I might not be fully Aro. I had a crush in 6th grade, but when I really think about it, I'm not so sure it was quite a romantic crush or anything. I honestly have no clue what that was and can’t describe it very well. That's too confusing to worry over, so I just gloss over and forget about it, and I will go ahead and call myself Aro unless something changes and I'm demiromantic or something. My family is luckily very accepting of the LGBTQIA+ community, and I have always known that I would be safe telling them anything. I have not yet told anyone that I am for sure ace, though I may have told one or two people that I was questioning it, but honestly, I can’t remember (thanks ADD!) I know it would be fine if I told anyone, but I'm so socially just WEIRD, (I'm 100% an introvert, and am a loner, and all that, but I am still outgoing, and people who don’t know me very well will just assume I'm an extrovert lol), that is not very high on my priority list. I also know that I have enough mettle (PERFECT WORD YESSS (lol I’m such a nerd)) that I would be fine even if I DID get any hate for it. I am also weird in terms of religion, but I come out to people really easily about that. I grew up in a family of Christians, but we didn't go to church often or drill any of the practices and whatnot into me so my parents kind of messed up in that regard, and my religion is mostly based of a mess of religions from books that I enjoy but I am an Omnist. If you don't know what it means, I definitely suggest looking it up! I'm too tired to get into THAT too much right now, and I'm already a bit off topic. Anyway, (OH MY GOSH THIS IS AN ESSAY NOW LOL SORRY XD) That went over fine, and my parents were excited to learn what I knew about what my take is on all of that. I myself am a very accepting person. I kind of sit back and observe what everyone is doing, and I understand things quite well. I can easily relate to/understand a lot of things other people will talk about even if I don't personally relate. Ummm... I had this whole thing planned out about the things I wanted to say but again, ADD has gotten the best of me and I have no clue what else I was going to say, so Im just gonna end this here—WAIT NO! 

GSA! Do I want to go?!! I have a friend who is Ace—OH YEAH- (oh gosh here we go) My dad and my ace friend and my bi friend have al separately suggested that I was ace at least to some degree, so that leaves me to conclude that there actually IS quite a bit of visibility where I live! Anyway, back to GSA. Do I want to go? Im kinda antisocial but also not. My parents and I all want me in a club because I need that structure in my life, and this is the only one I would probably honestly go to. My ace friend goes to GSA, and recommended me to go, but I am still on the fence about it. I read around on AVEN and other websites about this, but still cant decide. Also, if I do go, Id have to explain to my parents what the club is and stuff, which would probably leave me needing to come out to them when I honestly don’t really wanna have to do, even though they’d be fine. (Did I mention I have a lot of anxiety, cause I do lol) Second Semester is about to start, and I kinda feel like, if I don't  go now I never will, but then I also feel like I'm just not ready 😕 Anyway, that was my (VERY LONG) story :)

ps. Sorry about any spelling mistakes, or if the formatting was confusing or anything 😕 :)

AAAAAND I’m makin’ it longer!!

Ace rings! Again, i dont want to fully come out yet, but I like this, no explanation /needed/, but if anyone asks, easy way to come out! I made one! No way for me to buy one, and if I asked for one for Christmas (Which, yes, I still do celebrate even though Im not strictly Christian lol) or my birthday, because of course, that would require an explanation! I made mine out of a black paperclip, but it works well, and looks kinda nice. I was hesitant to get/make one, because I live in Las Vegas, and there is that whole swinger ring thing, and again, Vegas! 😕 XD I gave up those uneasy feelings though, when I was looking up how big of a thing the Swinger rings were, when I saw multiple times things saying that the middle finger was used for people in the Ace community, and to please not use that finger out of respect to them! :)  

Also, cuddling! I have gone by in my life so far, without much cuddling, snuggling, and whatnot (sad I know) but I’ve suddenly been craving cuddles! XD sucks, cause I have no one to cuddle with! 

Custard Cream

Hello and welcome! Sounds like you are doing great job of figuring yourself out!

Hello! Thanks for the welcome! Yes, when I think about it, I've been blessed in knowing who I am and who I am supposed to be, its just that now, I've found a way to voice it! :)

Welcome! Let’s get some questions done shall we? :) 

I'm not so sure it was quite a romantic crush or anything. 

You might want to look into the subject of Squishes and Queer Platonic Relationships (QPRs).

https://www.deviantart.com/secondlina/art/Sketchcomic-types-of-Attraction-298804729

15 hours ago, Luna04 said:

GSA! Do I want to go?!!

Well you said yourself that you have an ace friend who already goes there, so you can tell your parents you’re going along because they invited you and you wanted to support them and maybe get to know some of their friends from there too. It’s fairly hit or miss if GSAs are ok with ace / Aro identities so having one that’s already been confirmed as ace / Aro friendly is probably your best bet if you would like to see what it’s like. That being said it does mean that you’ll have to be social and introduce yourself to people so only go when / if you’re feeling up for it. 

15 hours ago, Luna04 said:

Ace rings!

If you’re interested in a relatively cheap black ring you can buy no questions asked there’s always car o-rings. I use one myself, and it’s super useful how flexible they are, although you are limited for size choices. You can buy one at hardware stores in the car section and can even buy more than one size together if you’re worried about fit. 

22 hours ago, Lichley said:

Welcome! Let’s get some questions done shall we? :) 

You might want to look into the subject of Squishes and Queer Platonic Relationships (QPRs).

https://www.deviantart.com/secondlina/art/Sketchcomic-types-of-Attraction-298804729

Well you said yourself that you have an ace friend who already goes there, so you can tell your parents you’re going along because they invited you and you wanted to support them and maybe get to know some of their friends from there too. It’s fairly hit or miss if GSAs are ok with ace / Aro identities so having one that’s already been confirmed as ace / Aro friendly is probably your best bet if you would like to see what it’s like. That being said it does mean that you’ll have to be social and introduce yourself to people so only go when / if you’re feeling up for it. 

If you’re interested in a relatively cheap black ring you can buy no questions asked there’s always car o-rings. I use one myself, and it’s super useful how flexible they are, although you are limited for size choices. You can buy one at hardware stores in the car section and can even buy more than one size together if you’re worried about fit. 

Thank you so much for the welcome and the help! I was thinking exactly the same thing for #1, and thanks for the link, I will check that out! For the GSA, well, I was over waiting and just went ahead and came out. I will be going to GSA, as, after learning a bit more about the environment from my friend, it seems to be very open and accepting, which I am very grateful for. For the Ace rings, thank you for the idea, but I have that covered :) My ace friend is VERY crafty and is going to make us ace rings AND aro rings :) I am very excited. Thanks again for your comment--OH YEAH! And for letting me know how to reply, I did not quite realize that THAT is what the "quote" thing is for, but it makes sense!

:)

@Luna04 putting an @ before someone’s name without a space between them lets you give them a mention without having to quote the entire thing if you want to reply to a whole post too ;) 

Archived