Bustle Magazine article on the word "queer" for LGBTQ+

Firefly8

Queer has come to be an umbrella term for LGBTQ+ folks all across the spectrum of gender and sexual minorities," Canonico tells Bustle. Asexuality, non-binary identities, being intersex, demisexuality, and more all have a place within the LGBTQ community, and "queer" can be a way to speak to all these identities without leaving anyone off of the acronym.

https://www.bustle.com/articles/175470-what-does-queer-mean-5-things-to-know-about-the-q-in-lgbtq

The article is dated as "updated: 11/4/2019"

everywhere and nowhere

I hate listicles.

Galactic Turtle

I personally do not want to be referred to as queer but to each their own!

1 hour ago, Linda60 said:

...I believe asexuals fit under the queer umbrella.  Some LGBTQ+ people disagree and I'm not sure why.  Maybe they doubt that we have experienced the same level of emotional pain that they have.  I don't think that's true.  We haven't experienced violence at the same levels they have...

Do you mean physical and/or sexual assault? Some asexuals have experienced those things (mentioned in the Intersectionality Forum). It's just that some of us, perhaps, don't constantly mention what we go through/went through because we don't want those events to define us and want to move on from that, try to focus more on improving our lives/being happy/helping others, etc.

Duke Memphis

I personally wouldn't feel comfortable having that term used to describe me. Even with my split attraction, I simply label myself as an ace. I'm still indifferent to whether or not we're in the alphabet soup at all.

On 1/8/2020 at 8:23 AM, Duke Memphis said:

I personally wouldn't feel comfortable having that term used to describe me. Even with my split attraction, I simply label myself as an ace. I'm still indifferent to whether or not we're in the alphabet soup at all.

Ok. I feel that I am and am happy so many letters are included. You do you and let others be.

I'm happy there's a generalized, umbrella term for members of the GRSM community. I would hesitate to use it myself because I feel I so solidly fit into "ace" that there's no reason to use a different label. But I totally understand why others prefer to use it and more power to them. 

Archived