Gender Fluid Spectrum (Opinions)

Hello, I am Tiliban'S.

I identify myself as Gender Fluid who switches between Demigirl and Agender (occasionally male, but very rarely).

My question is : should be a Gender Fluid Spectrum?

Let me explain :

There are peole who switch between 2 genders, others 3 and so on, and others who switch between male identities or others(Demiboy, Male, Androgynous ect...).

So why we shouldn't create a Gender Fluid Spectrum?

Comment below with your ideas and opinions and maybe with your gender and what do you think about it.

Thanks for the attention and have a nice day.

Galactic Turtle

The very concept of gender is a free for all these days so do whatever.

Hi.

Are you asking whether it's possible to be gender fluid or saying that others should create gender-fluid spectrum charts?

If you meant creating a gender-fluid spectrum chart, there are several that others have made.

https://www.google.com/search?q=gender+fluid+spectrum&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjL99Gs4-rmAhWwVN8KHTq5ACAQ_AUoAXoECA0QAw&biw=1024&bih=655

anisotrophic
47 minutes ago, Galactic Turtle said:

The very concept of gender is a free for all these days so do whatever.

😄

I have a very specific gender identity that is a unique combination of agender, gender fluid/flux, male, female, and demiwhatever.

I like to call it: m̸̋̋̇ͅy̴̲̟͙̓ǵ̴̢͍̠e̵̎̽͜ṉ̶̡͉͗́̆d̸̠͐e̶̯͉̾̓̾͜r̸̜͔̺̃

I like this one. 

Wm1KqL3.png

Courtesy of @Laurann.

(I didn't find this type of thing in @LeChat's link so here it is) 

@PoeciMeta I'm kind of worried that the blue and pink colors on the chart might cause others to think there's an automatic correlation between someone liking those colors and their gender identity (which there isn't, as some gay men like pink, but still don't identify as women).

12 minutes ago, LeChat said:

@PoeciMeta I'm kind of worried that the blue and pink colors on the chart might cause others to think there's an automatic correlation between someone liking those colors and their gender identity (which there isn't, as some gay men like pink, but still don't identify as women).

Yeah, the association between colour and gender isn't realistic. True, people susceptible of using this chart are likely to know that, but if it's used to explain genderqueer stuff to cis people, then yeah, it's better if it's made clear that the colours are just for visual effect, and that these genders don't have a mandatory colour code (or expression, by extension)... which isn't a bad thing to add, imho :) Not enough is said about tomboy trans girls. 

Lonemathsytoothbrushthief
2 hours ago, TilibanS said:

Hello, I am Tiliban'S.

I identify myself as Gender Fluid who switches between Demigirl and Agender (occasionally male, but very rarely).

My question is : should be a Gender Fluid Spectrum?

Let me explain :

There are peole who switch between 2 genders, others 3 and so on, and others who switch between male identities or others(Demiboy, Male, Androgynous ect...).

So why we shouldn't create a Gender Fluid Spectrum?

Comment below with your ideas and opinions and maybe with your gender and what do you think about it.

Thanks for the attention and have a nice day.

That would be cool! I think we all have quite different experiences with fluidity sometimes, it's what makes things interesting to me. I guess I don't feel like there needs to be a spectrum so much as a way to categorise our experiences. My first thoughts would be a) which genders we've had, b) how often we fluctuate, c) I guess feeling the need for social recognition of our identities and switches and d) feeling the need to express our changing identity, through presentation and sometimes medical transition.

I don't actually like calling myself most of what I do. I don't feel like I'm transmasc, trans male, kind of feel neutral about non binary as an umbrella I'm under, don't like trying to figure out if I'm a girl, a guy, non binary, male aligned, female aligned, agender or whatever else at a given time. I've in the past described my fluidity as including male, neutrois, agender, demigirl, but a lot of the time feel kind of vague about it. I often feel very dysphoric about my chest, lower area, body shape and curves, but struggle to figure out what sort of presentation I want because I resent how framing of maleness=masculinity and femaleness=femininity seems to be spread through threads of people talking about dysphoria. And I feel like I could be comfortable with femininity once I transition to have a testosterone dominant body, flat chest etc. But sometimes I don't know if I'm forcing the femininity. Or the masculinity. To be honest I don't feel like being more masculine etc will ever relieve the feeling of being trapped.

Some might say I need a therapist. I say I tried, didn't like it and don't have the money lol.

@LeChat of course that's true. But I'd hope that if someone is looking into nonbinary genders, that would be obvious to them. 

Also, some straight men like pink too ;).

2 hours ago, PoeciMeta said:

Wm1KqL3.png

That chart is mostly designed to make gender stuff seem less complicated to confused cis people tbh. So far it's been doing alright at that. It's meant to be intuitive and simple. It's far from perfect. It doesn't include the maverique gender identity for example (or like the five different socially accepted gender identities some peoples in Indonesia had, I'd need a 5 dimensional chart for that), but charts are meant to simplify in order to make complex things more easily understandable. Charts kind of have to be imperfect representations of an endlessly complicated world. We can only try to make them approximate the real world as closely as possible. If we accounted for every little caveat in a chart, it would be too complicated to be useful anymore.

I'd imagine genderfluid people move around on that chart situationally or over time, but for now I haven't found a way to visually indicate which genders someone fluctuates between in a simple and intuitive manner. Suggestions are welcome. I've still got the Photoshop file on my computer and I can easily edit it. I can change the pink and blue to different colors at a push of a button too in case of requests.

Also, though this one is definitely not the most succinct, accurate or elegant chart, I personally really enjoy the genderplanet:

Spoiler

0tnjq97.jpg

@Laurann I beg to differ on the genderplanet not being elegant :P

As for the chart, I like it (for the purpose you described) but I have the strange desire to be entirely out of it in a whimsical agender frustration~

anisotrophic
5 hours ago, Laurann said:

I'd need a 5 dimensional chart for that

agreed! Two dimensions is insufficient for a chart!  m̸̋̋̇ͅy̴̲̟͙̓ǵ̴̢͍̠e̵̎̽͜ṉ̶̡͉͗́̆d̸̠͐e̶̯͉̾̓̾͜r̸̜͔̺̃ needs five, maybe six dimensions, to be accurately mapped 😄 it is impossible to visualize without a rotating hypercube animated gif with an eye-searing ever-shifting rainbow to represent even more dimensions of information

...or a pie chart. Everyone loves pie charts. 😋

(sorry I'm not taking this very seriously)

Does anyone question why gender fluidity exists? How in the actual hell is it possible? Gender identity is a shit ton more than just a feeling. It's a neurological phenomenon with the brains receptors not recognizing certain parts of the body or reacting to the socially implied self image. When in fact another exists within the head. Phantom erections occurring in pre-T guys is enough to say something. Not to mention the high percentage of MtF and FtM (and nb but the study did not include them) that did not experience phantom limbs during bottom and top surgery. Depersonalizaton can occur as well with the dysphoria being the root of it and that is not just some feeling. 

So how does science explain gender fluidity or the many crazy ways people can experience it. Nonbinary genders like these are far more complicated than just feeling like a different sex or perhaps neither. It's much easier to grasp a theory to explain those occurrences (The Androgen Theory). I really want to see how this would work in the brain. It's high fascinating to imagine people experiencing the ability to switching around their neurological wiring to different features of both sexes or masculinity/ femininity if that's your preference. The dysphoria however is not fun to think of. There's a significant lack of scientifically studies to understand this better and how gender fluidity occurs. Not to mention having proper studies to prove your existence (sad that you must but it's an absurd ideas to those who cannot understand it well) rather than cultural backings. While there being multiple genders in different cultures can point towards something, it's not a good enough argument nor a good footing for a foundation of evidence. Psychology is technically a science and the socio-culture part (or sociology) as one stand point merely isn't enough. Psychology also tends to refer to observations made by either introspection or the observer rather than neuroscience. We do not need to imply gender identity/dysphoria are just "observed feelings"(Obviously there are functions in the brain that back what Psychology puts forth. However, that is a separate piece of the puzzle). As this can imply that those feelings can be manipulated.

As if gender identity is some sort of identity crisis that can be worked through. An example would be trauma (complicated topic but this is simplifying it), psychotherapy can be used to help ease the the experiences of the victim and help them recover. Psychotherapy however, will do very little for gender dysphoria. I imagine you've understood my point since the beginning. I do hope any local science fanatics will add to the studies of gender fluidity. I know the bit of evidence I described could could as observations as they come from the patients themselves rather than an MRI but it's a starting point. Hopefully this comment will increase the curiosity of those who read it. I fully believe (mostly, still just a binary trans man who doubts a bit) that gender fluidity is possible and happens. I just wish I knew how such an anomaly does.  

8 hours ago, anisotrophic said:

it is impossible to visualize without a rotating hypercube animated gif with an eye-searing ever-shifting rainbow to represent even more dimensions of information

haha I would have mad respect for you if you somehow made this become a reality

Add in an obscene rainbow unicorn for flair

anisotrophic

@KrysLost I don't really know. I experience gender as a combination of my physiological state (ie the hormones, female experiences I've had eg pregnancy), my social treatment, and my "performance" within social constructs. I don't experience imagined physiology, just whatever I have when I have it.

Hormonal state did affect behavior, most concretely my ability to cry and libido/arousal. But beyond that, to me it feels like a performance I'm engaging in. In the end I might describe myself as agender with a strong interest (to the point of anger/despair when denied) in experiencing physiological change and disrupting my perceived gender by others.

But my therapist said some people genuinely wake up feeling one gender or another (when I expressed the same dubiousness), and that can change over time, just as some people experience physiology they don't have I suppose.

Just Somebody

You guys forgot to add that some genderfluid people change their gender identities due to known factors or certain circumstances such as time, weather, companionship, cycles, etc, and a lot of these have specifical labels to differentiate genderfluid identities in more subtypes.

I think most of these genderfluid identities fall under the condigender umbrella as they depend on certain circumstances:

Affectugender : when they're affected by mood swings.

Amaregender : depending on who you love.

Amicagender: depending on who are your friends in the moment.

Amorgender: in the presence of someone you developed any kind of connection for.

Anxiegender: affected by anxiety.

Argogender: when changes in gender happen slowly.

Cadensgender: influenced by music.

Cavusgender: when your gender identity changes based in and out depression.

Cennedgender : when influenced by your parents.

Cogitofluid: when it changes only when you think about. 

Corugender : affected by flashbacks.

Cyclogender: based on menstrual cycle.

Enbyfluid or eafluid: when it only changes between non-binary gender identities.

Evaisgender or aerogender or locugender: affected by the surroundings.

Expecgender or pivotgender: depending on who you are around.

Faegender: with seasons, equinoxes or moon phases.

Faunagender: influenced by animals.

Femfluid or venufluid: when changes only between gender identities considered feminine. 

Mascfluid or marfluid: when changes only between gender identities considered masculine.

Mirrorgender: when changes to fit people you are around.

Mutaregender: when it changes but you never identify with one gender identity more than once.

Mutogender: depending upon situation.

Neurogender: when it's linked to a neurodivergency you have.

Nobifluid: when changes only between gender identities considered nor masculine neither feminine.

Omnigay: changes always to the same gender identity of people you are in love with.

Scorigender: when you change between three gender identities that are somewhat similar.

Sychnogender: when it changes multiple times per day.

Systemfluid: depend upon who's fronting (as when somone has multiple personalities disorder).

Tachigender: when it changes fast.

Temporagender: when changed with seasons.

Traumatgender: influenced by trauma.

anisotrophic

but what happens when we map the Fourier transform of gender feels over time?

let's do some spectrum analysis for reals

watch out for the imaginary part, it affects the phase shifts

5 hours ago, Just Somebody said:

You guys forgot to add that some genderfluid people change their gender identities due to known factors or certain circumstances such as time, weather, companionship, cycles, etc, and a lot of these have specifical labels to differentiate genderfluid identities in more subtypes.

I think most of these genderfluid identities fall under the condigender umbrella as they depend on certain circumstances:

Affectugender : when they're affected by mood swings.

Amaregender : depending on who you love.

Amicagender: depending on who are your friends in the moment.

Amorgender: in the presence of someone you developed any kind of connection for.

Anxiegender: affected by anxiety.

Argogender: when changes in gender happen slowly.

Cadensgender: influenced by music.

Cavusgender: when your gender identity changes based in and out depression.

Cennedgender : when influenced by your parents.

Cogitofluid: when it changes only when you think about. 

Corugender : affected by flashbacks.

Cyclogender: based on menstrual cycle.

Enbyfluid or eafluid: when it only changes between non-binary gender identities.

Evaisgender or aerogender or locugender: affected by the surroundings.

Expecgender or pivotgender: depending on who you are around.

Faegender: with seasons, equinoxes or moon phases.

Femfluid or venufluid: when changes only between gender identities considered feminine. 

Mascfluid or marfluid: when changes only between gender identities considered masculine.

Mirrorgender: when changes to fit people you are around.

Mutaregender: when it changes but you never identify with one gender identity more than once.

Mutogender: depending upon situation.

Neurogender: when it's linked to a neurodivergency you have.

Nobifluid: when changes only between gender identities considered nor masculine neither feminine.

Omnigay: changes always to the same gender identity of people you are in love with.

Scorigender: when you change between three gender identities that are somewhat similar.

Sychnogender: when it changes multiple times per day.

Systemfluid: depend upon who's fronting (as when somone has multiple personalities disorder).

Tachigender: when it changes fast.

Temporagender: when changed with seasons.

Traumatgender: influenced by trauma.

I don't really need to you tell how the average person would react to that entire list. I'm also hoping that list isn't from Tumblr. 

Janus the Fox

Sure why not? Some can feel a flow of gender fluidity between 2 or more points. The brain neurology can differ from the brain physiology, including the hormonal and genetic makeup can be at odds with a persons psychology and sociological place in the world.  There’s so little information out there formally for gender fluidity. 

18 hours ago, Just Somebody said:

Im a fox, that means genders of Foxes are Dog and Vixen, and I’m more Vixen than Dog or human male. :P

That list is not use to me but this one sticks out amongst some in the Furry/Therian spirituality or experienced within a second entity connected to a person via Tulpamancy.

animatedpassions

I'm new to sooooooo much of asexuality and non-binary gender types and discussions, that practically everything in this thread confuses me. But honestly, this is my first attempt to learn more about myself and search for like minded individuals, so be easy on me. 

I don't care for gender labels at all and sex is just a medical classification to me so can I just say that I am sentient being and I'm here? 

I'm female for the fact that my body wants to remind me on a monthly basis and when the medical professionals at the doctor offices ask if I could be pregnant. Other than that, do I need to label myself as any sexuality or gender? I don't really think about it until someone ask me. Are there instances where others have this realization? 

@animatedpassions the “fun” thing about gender is people will classify you anyway... we can’t escape from a social construct just by not personally feeling it.

I think it’s pretty common for cis people to not  “feel” a gender, but also not be frustrated with the gender they have.

Archived