Actor Andrew Scott Mentions Asexuality

LeChat

Hi, everyone. I thought others might be interested in knowing that Irish actor, Andrew Scott (of T.V.'s Fleabag and Sherlock fame), just recently mentioned asexuality in a podcast interview (at around the 7: 35 mark).

https://podcasts.google.com/?feed=aHR0cHM6Ly9ob3d0b2ZhaWwucG9kYmVhbi5jb20vZmVlZC54bWw&episode=aG93dG9mYWlsLnBvZGJlYW4uY29tL2hvdy10by1mYWlsLWFuZHJldy1zY290dC1lOTczZmU4ZjY2NzNkOGVjNjIzMWQ2MGI5ZDgxMDU3ZA&hl=en&ved=2ahUKEwjJqKPjhOnmAhXts1kKHY3jAxcQieUEegQIBBAE&ep=6&at=1578109724098

(If you're having trouble with this link, here's another one: https://podcasts.apple.com/sk/podcast/s7-ep1-how-to-fail-andrew-scott/id1407451189?i=1000461281260 )

:) Don't we all love/appreciate an ally?

Sounds interesting but google gave up on me. It doesn't want to play the podcast :(.

1 minute ago, MiffKeks said:

HAHA! Thank you so much! ❤️

:) Thank you, for letting me know that you were having trouble accessing the interview. :cake:

It worked for me, so I wasn't aware that others might not be able to listen to it on that link.

8 minutes ago, LeChat said:

:) Thank you, for letting me know that you were having trouble accessing the interview. :cake:

It worked for me, so I wasn't aware that others might not be able to listen to it on that link.

It's okay. That kinda thing happens SO often! You're using a link and it works just fine then you share it to others and then they're like: :( Duhhhhhh.. That one ain't workin', aye. XD

First saw them as Moriarty. Such an amazing actor! Last thing I saw them in was either 'This Beautiful Fantastic' or 'Modern Love'. 

It's always nice and refreshing when asexuality is included so conscientiously. It would have been a mistake for him to to mention it and he didn't fall into that common erasure. His beautiful Irish accent is a bonus. It's like music to my American ears.

4 hours ago, Eutierria said:

First saw them as Moriarty. Such an amazing actor! Last thing I saw them in was either 'This Beautiful Fantastic' or 'Modern Love'. 

I liked seeing Andrew's performance in "Modern Love." It was nice to see him playing a gay character, as part of a couple, as it seemed to me he's usually is given a heterosexual character to play.

I also thought he was very good in the short film, "Silent Things," playing a character with Autism. I don't know if others, here, particularly with Autism have seen it, but it's on YouTube; others with Autism said his portrayal was exactly like themselves. (Of course, not all people with Autism are the same. I only mentioned it to show that some with Autism thought his portrayal of someone with that condition was good and not done in an incorrect way/bad representation. I read that, before filming, he and the other actress who also played a character with Autism, apparently, visited schools/community centers and observed others with Autism.)

1 hour ago, Firefly8 said:

It's always nice and refreshing when asexuality is included so conscientiously. It would have been a mistake for him to to mention it and he didn't fall into that common erasure. His beautiful Irish accent is a bonus. It's like music to my American ears.

I liked the beginning, when he mentioned asexuality. The only questionable thing for me is, near the end of the interview (around the 50:25 minute mark), it sounds to me he said "...Because everybody has a preference. It's not saying--you know--it doesn't mean you have to be an asexual extremist..."

With the phrase, "asexual extremist," it sounded to me as though, perhaps, he's still a bit confused about asexuality and might be mistakenly believing that those who are asexual are making a conscious choice to be "sexual prudes," when it's not that at all. I wouldn't like others to get the wrong idea about asexuality.

2 hours ago, LeChat said:

I liked the beginning, when he mentioned asexuality. The only questionable thing for me is, near the end of the interview (around the 50:25 minute mark), it sounds to me he said "...Because everybody has a preference. It's not saying--you know--it doesn't mean you have to be an asexual extremist..."

With the phrase, "asexual extremist," it sounded to me as though, perhaps, he's still a bit confused about asexuality and might be mistakenly believing that those who are asexual are making a conscious choice to be "sexual prudes," when it's not that at all. I wouldn't like others to get the wrong idea about asexuality.

Going back and listening to that bit the end a few times I think that although it sounds like "asexual extremist" that he is really saying "a (or an)   sexual extremist". It makes more sense with what he is trying to explain. He is saying that everyone should be open and communicate to their partners about what they want sexually or their kinks up front, early on in a relationship. "Everyone," meaning that one doesn't have to be a sexual extremist to have the need to communicate these things, that everyone should openly communicate "this is what I like" even if it isn't an extreme kink or thing. "Asexual extremist" doesn't really fit with what he is talking about there and it doesn't sound like something that he would say given the rest of the interview. There are other places, discussing religion influence, for example, where he could have said "asexual extremist" in a (still wrong, but) more understandable context and he didn't. Plus he mentioned asexuality in the beginning out of respect and accuracy to what he was conveying. He comes across (in this interview anyway) as too serious, articulate, and intelligent to use language flippantly here.

Archived