Aromantics need a voice, sign this petition to ban Love Island

You can only sign it you're from the UK but I while heartedly despise the thing. And it's been transplanted over here to the US. I'm with anyone who wants it banned. 

I don't see how this shall adress aromantics specifically? There a lot of reasons and a lot of groups of all sexualities who probably see what kind of bullshit this show is and how much it affects people's self-value negatively. Well, unless they enjoy the show and don't reflect too much on the problems it (might) cause(s)...

Maybe instead of banning the show we should focus more on recognizing the issues in the show. People can still have the freedom to watch the show, despite it perpetuating unhealthy messages. Also, as far as I know, no one's human rights are getting violated because others are watching the show.

Looked it up, crappy show but banning is not the answer. Unless people want to make aromantics look like snowflakes...

There is also the option to not watch it, I mean there is a reason to why shows like this are being made people like them, for some reason and that is okay.

Trying to ban it will okay kick back 10 times worse.

Whore*of*Mensa

TW - self harm

Spoiler

Two people have committed suicide after being on the show, one woman and one man - the boyfriend of the woman then killed himself about a year later. She had an eating disorder and mental health problems before taking part. The show encourages people to value themselves only on outside appearances; it's bad for everyone. 

Many people have called for it to be banned

RoseGoesToYale

I could see a number of reasons for wanting to get it off the air, especially inspiring unhealthy/unrealistic body images, but what does that have to do with romantic orientation specifically?

🤣 No. Please explain to me how this petition is not ridiculous. How does this show harm aromantics? Why can't you just change the channel? 

Luftschlosseule

Docusoaps and reality soaps are not about finding true love but becoming famous and earning money.

It's not that I don't see them as harmful, but a ban would not accomplish anything. We should talk about the issues, not ban.

Whore*of*Mensa
2 hours ago, Luftschlosseule said:

Docusoaps and reality soaps are not about finding true love

I agree, but...The audience for Love Island is young. I have a teenage daughter and I know that it does influence her thinking, even though she can recognise it's about money. Let's be honest, romance and marriage are not always entirely unrelated to money! People can stay in marriages for financial reasons. I've sometimes found it hard to champion independence to my daughter. 

I think that the harm caused to the participants (see my post above) is reason to ban it, but that's not related to the OP. Here, the TV channel have had to defend the care that they give to their participants; these are very serious events that have occurred as a direct result of the show

7 minutes ago, Whore*of*Mensa said:

I agree, but...The audience for Love Island is young. I have a teenage daughter and I know that it does influence her thinking, even though she can recognise it's about money. Let's be honest, romance and marriage are not always entirely unrelated to money! People can stay in marriages for financial reasons. I've sometimes found it hard to champion independence to my daughter. 

I think that the harm caused to the participants (see my post above) is reason to ban it, but that's not related to the OP. Here, the TV channel have had to defend the care that they give to their participants; these are very serious events that have occurred as a direct result of the show

hmmm.. I'm just not really sure because so much of what teens are exposed to is extremely damaging for their self-image and self-worth. Like, all movies where the hot girl gets the hot guy, all shows, even many books. So much of it is about being the hottest and the most popular and rarely focuses on real, genuine love based on two people having built a friendship together (and I guess relationships often aren't like that for teens anyway?). But yeah, I just don't think Love Island is worse (or better) than so much of the other crap out there that kids these days are sadly exposed to. Better to just not let them watch TV really!! And yes it's sad what happened to those people BUT I think they may have already been people who could have gone down that path regardless, if it wasn't the show that pushed them over the edge maybe it would have been something else? :c They needed help, not some damned stupid TV show :c

In the perfect world, I'd rather they just don't make ANY of the shallow, appearance-based stuff on TV these days (I mean, holy shit, look at that show Dance Moms) 😧 but there seems to be a huge audience for that content or they couldn't keep making it. All we can really do is try to ensure our kids aren't exposed to it!!! (even though I know how difficult that is in this day and age).

Whore*of*Mensa
41 minutes ago, Pan Ficto. (on hiatus?) said:

hmmm.. I'm just not really sure because so much of what teens are exposed to is extremely damaging for their self-image and self-worth. Like, all movies where the hot girl gets the hot guy, all shows, even many books. So much of it is about being the hottest and the most popular and rarely focuses on real, genuine love based on two people having built a friendship together (and I guess relationships often aren't like that for teens anyway?). But yeah, I just don't think Love Island is worse (or better) than so much of the other crap out there that kids these days are sadly exposed to. Better to just not let them watch TV really!! And yes it's sad what happened to those people BUT I think they may have already been people who could have gone down that path regardless, if it wasn't the show that pushed them over the edge maybe it would have been something else? :c They needed help, not some damned stupid TV show :c

In the perfect world, I'd rather they just don't make ANY of the shallow, appearance-based stuff on TV these days (I mean, holy shit, look at that show Dance Moms) 😧 but there seems to be a huge audience for that content or they couldn't keep making it. All we can really do is try to ensure our kids aren't exposed to it!!! (even though I know how difficult that is in this day and age).

Yep, very true - all of TV and social media is basically designed to make them feel like crap! Love Island is interesting because it does stimulate some discussion about relationships - there was one man in there who was basically gaslighting this woman, who called him out on it - and that led to everyone discussing what gaslighting is and what is healthy in a relationship and so on. So, some people think it might be helpful because people basically spend the whole of the series talking about how the participants are behaving in their relationships. I've had some conversations with my daughter about what is right and what is wrong, because of it. 

But that's the problem as well - the people in it are real people ,and that gets forgotten in the discussions. Some have become hate figures as a result of what they did in the series, and they are all trolled on social media and followed by the press, for years afterwards. It takes a strong person to deal with all of this negative attention - so you have to ask why they would allow someone with clear mental health problems to take part (they are vetted by psychologists beforehand and are supposed to get support afterwards). Maybe if everyone was psychologically strong and healthy, the show would be less interesting?

Anyway, I'll try not to go on - Love Island has been an unwelcome part of my life for a few years now - once my daughter got to a certain age there was no point in banning anything! I've always tried to encourage rational discussion, rather than ban anything, so I'd probably agree with everyone who has said this. I just feel so bad for those kids who were damaged by being on it, it makes my chest hurt to think about them :( - and I can't watch, myself. 

(Dance Moms sounds 🤢, glad I've not come across that one!)

I've not seen this show and nor do I care to, so what I know about it comes only from what I read about it. I know that there was another TV show in the UK, the Jeremy Kyle show, which went from being very popular to being pulled from screens and practically erased from existence overnight because one of the guests who appeared on it committed suicide. 

I think I read somewhere that there has been at least one contestant from Love Island who has committed suicide (although I may be mistaken about that so I stand to be corrected). But if I am not mistaken, why should this show be allowed to survive if another one was not?

Whore*of*Mensa
14 minutes ago, Ortac said:

I've not seen this show and nor do I care to, so what I know about it comes only from what I read about it. I know that there was another TV show in the UK, the Jeremy Kyle show, which went from being very popular to being pulled from screens and practically erased from existence overnight because one of the guests who appeared on it committed suicide. 

I think I read somewhere that there has been at least one contestant from Love Island who has committed suicide (although I may be mistaken about that so I stand to be corrected). But if I am not mistaken, why should this show be allowed to survive if another one was not?

Yes, this did happen - but the Jeremy Kyle show is open bear baiting - people go on there to share their relationship problems and Jeremy Kyle shouts at them and berates them in front of a live audience who boo and hiss. It's a horrible show, again featuring people with obvious mental health issues, but for years anyone who said it shouldn't be on air has been told 'those people chose to go on and they knew what would happen'. This man failed a lie detector test (as to whether he was having an affair), his partner left him because of it, and he went home and ended his life after the show. Jeremy Kyle, a true slimeball of a man, had been goading and berating him live on air. It was sickening. The show was immediately suspended because there was such a direct link between the two events. 

There have been 3 deaths resulting from Love Island (I did mention it above but spoilered it). I think it's been allowed to continue because the deaths took place some time after the show, despite the fact they were clearly linked to events stemming from being on the show. The producers have got away with it by saying they'll provide more aftercare. They also have this argument that people get therapy who wouldn't otherwise have it, and so they're in fact 'helping' them rather than exploiting them. 

Is it really any worse than the rest of the toxic garbage that you can watch on reality TV?

(I'm from a region where this show isn't well-known, so this is an honest question.)

Luftschlosseule
On 1/5/2020 at 1:08 PM, Whore*of*Mensa said:

I meant that I don't see why it should be banned on the grounds that it excludes aro folk. The reasons you name are an entirely different can of worms - and I agree that we have to talk about the effects of media on everyone of us, including children and teens.

Whore*of*Mensa
2 hours ago, Luftschlosseule said:

I meant that I don't see why it should be banned on the grounds that it excludes aro folk. The reasons you name are an entirely different can of worms - and I agree that we have to talk about the effects of media on everyone of us, including children and teens.

True...

I was off topic..

Anthracite_Impreza

It shouldn't be banned because aros exist; aros (or indeed, anyone) need not watch it if they don't want to. I myself do not understand the appeal of soaps, so I simply don't watch them. My auntie looks forward to the soaps every evening, and although I will call them bollocks, I would never interfere with her viewing.

Love Island exists because for some reason, a lot of people like watching unrealistic, drama-filled, gender-stereotyped dating shows, and some people are willing to fuck themselves up for five minutes of fame. Banning will not stop this, it will only create a backlash, and frankly, I don't believe banning is right. Grown adults have to take responsibility for putting themselves *voluntarily* on a show they know is full of drama and toxicity. The makers of the show shouldn't allow anyone on who has mental issues that could cause them to harm themselves, or not be fully aware of what they're getting into, no, but everyone else? That's on them.

Janus the Fox

How is this still a thing for 15 years in UK I may never know completely.

AllTimeBubble
On 1/4/2020 at 7:29 PM, cAROlyn said:

Maybe instead of banning the show we should focus more on recognizing the issues in the show. People can still have the freedom to watch the show, despite it perpetuating unhealthy messages. Also, as far as I know, no one's human rights are getting violated because others are watching the show.

Yeah, I mean, I dont like love island but it doesnt mean no one else can, its a dumb show but I wouldn't want to ban it

The 1000 signatures goal has been reached, next goal is 2000 signatures. Let's stop Love Island, please don't copy these Love Island people, you are already good enough as an aromantic asexual. Don't change to fit in. Be happy to stand out. Aromantics asexuals need a voice in society. 

Archived