Coming out vs not, and why?

Someone Else

Someone Else

I hear a lot of topics here about how to come out.
I'm 48, and if I hadn't read these, it never would have even occurred to me that this was a "come out" subject (I'm not the only one, apparently) -- but for some, it certainly is very important.  

So I wonder, is it an age thing?  Is it mostly younger aces who are concerned about how to tell their parents? 

Maybe it's gender related?  Where women are more likely to have horny men badgering them for sex?  

Are parents these days more likely to have sex-related conversations with their kids? (My family simply does not speak of their sexual exploits (if any) with each other, and I'd thank god for that if I was religious.  I sure as hell wouldn't want to hear my mom talk about sexual adventures or whatever, ugh!)  I don't even know if anyone in my family is asexual or not! (if we run on the assumption that asexual can still sometimes manage to get married and have kids.)  

Are parents these days more likely to have sex-related conversations with their kids?

It's usually more like parents expecting grandchildren and seeing an admission of asexuality as more like "you are never getting grandkids from me"

I was quite excited about finding the word back when I first did, so I came out randomly to a few because I could without thinking too much about if I should. Now I definitely don't feel like I have to, or even want to. I somewhat regret that I did come out to the ones I did, because really, it's not something anyone but me has to know. I rather just present myself as a loner and let some parts of me be mysterious ;)But yeah I totally ruined that by my awkward "I aM ASeXuaL" that got the "...okay...can we finish this game/movie/whatever please?" answers 5 years ago.

No one bloody cares, at least in my case.

A reason to come out, it's a way to set the expectations of relationships with people on families and\or relationships (e.g. stop the "When will you get a man\woman to make an honest person out of you?" "Where are my grand kids?" etc etc

A reason I came out was because I started going to lots of Ace meets and didn't like lying about where I knew the people I was meeting (especially hard when I did an further away and International meets whilst not out to close family who were asking who I was going with). Coming out at least makes things simpler and actually made coming out to my mother easier as she accepted it better partly due to having a group of ace friends I can fall back on if needed (the other part is the fact I'm fine with it so she was fine with it).

Archived