Strange Sleep/Dream Phenomena

abandoned-account

abandoned-account

No idea if a topic like this has already been posted... but...

Last night (or this morning) I had an experience while sleeping where within my dream I kept fighting trying to wake up over and over but it felt like some force was pulling me back to make me sleep more and pulling me down preventing me to get up and get fully awake and conscious. It was like a battle for my own consciousness. In the dream I would also keep "waking up" in different (yet similar) realities where the same thing would happen repeatedly. I felt like I wanted so hard to wake up irl and when I finally did I just felt very strange, yet relieved.

Has anyone here experienced something similar, and is there even a name for it? I have had this experience quite a few times before, too, especially this year. In some ways it felt a bit like sleep paralysis, but I don't think it's quite the same thing.

RoseGoesToYale

I think it's possible to experience sleep paralysis while still dreaming. I've experienced something similar to what you describe, like I'll be tottering somewhere between the REM stage and the conscious stage, but I have this feeling of not being able to move or do anything about it and for some reason the act of actually waking up becomes labor-intensive.

I've had sorts of paralysis happen in the middle of dreams, too. Feeling like I can't move or wanting to run but my movements are painstakingly slow. Since the body freezes itself to prevent it acting out dreams, if your subconscious has picked up on things going on in the waking world, it may be an acknowledgement of that in the dream.

It was probably a lucid dream then? If you were aware you were struggling to wake up. I'm able to wake myself up from a lucid dream, but I don't do it, it's no fun :P It happened in the past though, so it's possible.

I also can be somewhat aware of my body while dreaming, which is a bit weird, I sometimes can 'feel' it but not move it, as that would wake me up. I think it's not sleep paralysis per se, since I'm really dreaming and it's normal for one's body to be unable to move while sleeping (when that's not the case, it leads to somnambulism, I believe) but it's the same kind of weirdness. 

Also:

1 hour ago, Veezle said:

In the dream I would also keep "waking up" in different (yet similar) realities where the same thing would happen repeatedly.

Sounds like false awakenings, no? 

Lord Jade Cross

Repeated wakings without fully waking up would not be sleep paralysis.

rainbowocollie

Sometimes dreams like to drive you crazy. Like, in my dreams I often have some goal I'm striving toward, and I ultimately fail over and over.

Archived