Is AVEN trans positive?

Eva Blue

I've been here awhile, but I myself am not trans. That being said, one of my best friends is and I've seen some kinda questionable language and views on the matter.

I don't necessarily care about personal politics, but as an example(CW: sexual assault discussion), there was a discussion going on about a trans person who was strongly implied to have been a child predator. I HATE ppl who'd do that, seeing as it happened to me, but the convo was...off. the convo was constantly being shifted towards this womans trans identity...for what reason? Women can be predators, MINE was a predator. Why this focus?

That's just a big example. There was also other smaller remarks I've read, or views that coloured other convos I read. So...is AVEN trans positive? Or at least neutral? Bc I dunno if I'm comfortable with some of the discussions happening and I'd just like some advice.

If you are worried about this stuff, please report it (if you are on mobile, it is the flag at the top of the post) and we can investigate and taken appropriate  action 

Our TOS states

2.3 Offensive and bigoted content
AVEN does not tolerate elitist, racist, queerphobic, or sexist bigotry, as these create an environment that is hostile to the reasonable exchange of views. You may not post hateful, abusive, or disparaging content about people's race, national or ethnic origin, colour, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, romantic orientation, age, or mental or physical disability. 

In this regard, Bod made this announcement

Sarah-Sylvia

Has been pretty trans positive up to now for me. and there's quite a few trans people here. More non-binary people, but I find that interesting.

I don't think it's fair to say things about the entire site when it's just a few bad eggs. There are far more users than admods, so it has to be quite the task to monitor everything. I do believe it is important to flag or report every instance to make sure that we can weed out those bad eggs. So I would say don't confuse the entirety of the site with the actions of a few. 

AceMissBehaving

The forums are, but there’s a mix of people here, a fair amount with little to no contact with the LGBT+ community, so sometimes there might be people who might have some negative biases or gaps in understanding. Typically though that kind of thing isn’t actively supported by the community as a whole 

The gender discussion subforum certainly is.

If you don't want to see less trans positive viewpoints, I'd advise you stay out of hot box.

AVEN's Terms of Service is pretty trans positive, but AVEN members are just people, and some people aren't trans positive. There is no way to control that (other than nudges and warns for those who cross the line).

As the moderator of the gender discussion subforum I'm doing my best to protect trans folks on here. If you see something you think breaches ToS, be sure to report it, and the admod team will look into it.

Also, I think the fact that there are so many binary and non binary trans people present on AVEN says something positive about the atmosphere here.

This places caters more to trans people than pretty much any RL environment you could find.

You're going to find sketchy individuals with sketchy opinions no matter where you go.  It isn't necessarily a reflection of the community they're a part of.

I'd agree, AVEN is at worst trans-neutral, not least because many people are both trans/dysphoric/questioning and asexual/demi/unsure. 

As others have said, some fora, such as Gender, T&S are far more strictly moderated 

I spend a lot of time in Gender discussion (trans and nb here), which is very trans positive. Hot box isn't necessarily trans positive, and it doesn't really has to be (as long as it stays respectful) as its purpose is to post more controversial stuff anyway. 

Personally, I have yet to find a genuine transphobe on AVEN. The worst I've ever seen is misinformed people unknowingly posting questionable stuff, and they were quickly corrected. Most people here seem to disagree with transphobic views. So, maybe not Hot box, but AVEN as a whole is rather trans positive, yes. 

Janus the Fox

Being here 8 years... there has never been any overall sense of trans-negativity, well if it where, I wouldn't be here sharing my own Transsexuality experiences.

Archived