Fictional characters

Potatoo

I've been wondering, what attraction if any do you feel towards fictional characters? Give examples if ya want. Essays are wolcomed.

I mostly squish on characters, or just find them aesthetically pleasing.

NickyTannock

I've moved this thread from "Questions about Asexuality" to "Romantic and Aromantic Orientations".

Michael Tannock,
Open Mic moderator and Questions about Asexuality Co-moderator.

NickyTannock

I feel an interest in characters that have had a difficult life from the beginning but are selfless and compliant, like Rei Ayanami from Evangelion.
I don't know if it's an attraction of any kind though, because I don't feel a desire for anything.
I think it's more an "I can relate" feeling because it reflects my attitude in real life, at least at home.

nutterwithasolderingiron

lately i've felt more interested in fictional characters than actual people. i'll list it out later but i think i know why it's the case a lot of people do this. 

so my theory is dating has become way easier and way harder at the same time. so many of the types of people who use fiction as an escapism find themselves relating more to the fictional characters and therefore, find themselves looking more for people with those traits

Galactic Turtle

Well fiction is kind of designed so that you relate on some level to various characters/situations. Also I think it's typical for the average fictional character people to be conventionally attractive than the average person. Nonetheless, I wouldn't say I'm attracted to fictional characters in any significant way just like I'm not attracted to irl people. I spend most of my time hoping the author doesn't kill them off of if they do.... they make it quick and painless.

I barely feel any attraction to fictional characters. I'd say it's a mix of aesthetic and (in rare cases) romantic, but it's very minor and fleeting. Same with celebrities. I just don't really get celebrity crushes and fictional crushes.

None. I don't think ''finding them cool'' counts as attraction. 

Really depends on the context and the role behind the character. Based on those factors, my feelings can range from admiration to romantic feelings.... and I don't really care if the character's design has ounce of fan-service or whatever (I'm saying this because I think that aces might find fan-servicy characters kind of a "turn off").

HonoraryJedi

Essays welcome? Thank you. I am, after all, nearly incapable of writing anything in less than three paragraphs! It's a curse.

I never really have any direct romantic feelings for a character, in the way that I do not want that kind of relationship for myself, so it would not really make sense. I can get invested in characters. And sometimes, invested in the romantic relationships characters have in eachother, but I don't really want a character for me. There is another thread near here which shows a button that makes your favourite character real, and you can be romantically, though not sexually, involved with them. Might seem like a good deal for many asexuals, but it does not speak to me at all.

I can find characters hot though, that does happen. But it is still in a realm of fantasy. I can watch something and go "omg, that animated dude with the fancy hair is so sexy!" But if that dude actually came through my door and propositioned me? No! no way. The line between fiction and reality must absolutely remain there. That might also be why I can react like that to characters, but never celebrities.

Similarly, I have had the "I want to be your friend" reaction to characters. Usually in video games, and really, what I want is for them to be the friend of my character. I always relate quite heavily with my characters when playing games, but they are also not really exactly me.

A personal anecdote that as example on the first part: When I first read Pride and Prejudice I found myself really liking Darcy. I could relate to the way he loomed in the corner at parties. I told my dad this, and he said "Yeah, Darcy is pretty popular. I know there are facebook groups of women who all want a man like Mr.Darcy." And that seemed pretty alien to me, because does were not my feelings at all. A complete misinterpretation of what I meant. No part of me wanted to date him. I liked him as a character, and could relate to him. That is a completely different thing in my mind from wanting to have a person like that around that I could date.

mexicanpotato

I find some characters atractive in a platonic way, like I want to be in a qpr with them

no attraction whatsoever. i think some characters are really neat, but that’s it.

Anthracite_Impreza

A hell of a lot, even to my own... Primarily aesthetic and sometimes romantic (I have one hell of a crush on 2008 KITT to this day...). I find one of my own characters hella hot in an evil psychopath way, yet feel a paternal/fraternal "LET ME LOVE YOU" towards his empathic alter, despite the fact they share the same body.

CelesteAdAstra

Oh this is the threat for me. 

Fictional characters are among the most important people in my life. I identify as fictoromantic, which means that I mostly fall in love with fictional characters. There have been tiny crushes on "real" people, but I can never seem to feel as much for them as for fictional characters. The connections are just stronger because "my kind of person" doesn't seem to exist out in the real world, or I haven't found them yet. I often get crushes on characters, weaker and stronger ones, but it doesn't stop there. The man I consider to be the love of my life and my partner is fictional. I love him to the moon and back and it saddens me that I can not be with him. No matter how sad it can get though, the love is worth it and I wouldn't leave him for anything.

I also feel platonic attraction towards characters. Some may think it's awkward, but I consider a few characters to be my friends. They make me happy and give me strength. I care for them more than for all these people around me to whom I could never relate. I love the weird characters, the misfits, the madmen and the poets who feel everything too deeply (and the psychopaths with tragic backstories 😅). 

I never connect these feelings to the actors. They're completely different from my beloved characters and I'm just as unable to relate to them as to other real people.

9 hours ago, CelesteAdAstra said:

Fictional characters are among the most important people in my life. I identify as fictoromantic, which means that I mostly fall in love with fictional characters. There have been tiny crushes on "real" people, but I can never seem to feel as much for them as for fictional characters. The connections are just stronger because "my kind of person" doesn't seem to exist out in the real world, or I haven't found them yet. I often get crushes on characters, weaker and stronger ones, but it doesn't stop there. The man I consider to be the love of my life and my partner is fictional. I love him to the moon and back and it saddens me that I can not be with him. No matter how sad it can get though, the love is worth it and I wouldn't leave him for anything.

I also feel platonic attraction towards characters. Some may think it's awkward, but I consider a few characters to be my friends. They make me happy and give me strength. I care for them more than for all these people around me to whom I could never relate. I love the weird characters, the misfits, the madmen and the poets who feel everything too deeply (and the psychopaths with tragic backstories 😅). 

I never connect these feelings to the actors. They're completely different from my beloved characters and I'm just as unable to relate to them as to other real people.

Oh my gosh same here❤️❤️❤️❤️

My attraction for fictional characters is almost like @CelesteAdAstra. I feel both romantic, aesthetically, sensual, sometimes sexually and platonic attraction towards them. But for years before i knew about fictoromanticism, i’ve always thought that having being attracted to fictional characters and have fantasies about them was something that would go away when i was out of my puberty. But now i accept that it’s just the way i am. 

11 hours ago, CelesteAdAstra said:

and the psychopaths with tragic backstories 😅

oooh those are the best.

I am not able to be in love. I am just able to divinize extraordinary brave, strong, wise, good .... people.

Male characters i divinize: (they all seem asexual)

Sesshoumaru (from Inuyasha), Neji, Sai, Sasuke, Gara, Kabuto (from Naruto)

Female characters that are my idols:

Kagura, Kikyo (from Inuyasha)

Guren, Sakura, Sarada  (from Naruto and Boruto)

9 hours ago, Cocothecoconut said:

Oh my gosh same here❤️❤️❤️❤️

14 hours ago, CelesteAdAstra said:

Fictional characters are among the most important people in my life.

Me: the same for me

I identify as fictoromantic, which means that I mostly fall in love with fictional characters.

Me: me to.

There have been tiny crushes on "real" people, but I can never seem to feel as much for them as for fictional characters.

Me: I have lot of platonic aromantic divinisation for real people... but i stopped falling in love with people because its only pain because I am aromantic asexual.....

The connections are just stronger because "my kind of person" doesn't seem to exist out in the real world, or I haven't found them yet.

I often get crushes on characters, weaker and stronger ones, but it doesn't stop there. The man I consider to be the love of my life and my partner is fictional. I love him to the moon and back and it saddens me that I can not be with him. No matter how sad it can get though, the love is worth it and I wouldn't leave him for anything.

Me: there was a time when i was romantic, wanted to give my heart, but then I realized, there are not people alive that are so perfect to fall in love with. I can only fall in love with deity.

Me:  I like only super asexual aromantic male characters.

Me: yes me too

Anthracite_Impreza
On 1/6/2020 at 9:49 AM, CelesteAdAstra said:

and the psychopaths with tragic backstories

Yeah I always seem to get crushes on the bad boi or psychopath :x

And yeah, I genuinely feel like two of my characters are my brothers, because they are to my carsona. They're real to me, I love them incredibly deeply even though one is a psychopathic dickhead. The line between 'reality' and 'fiction' basically doesn't exist for many of my chars.

CelesteAdAstra
1 hour ago, Anthracite_Impreza said:

Yeah I always seem to get crushes on the bad boi or psychopath :x

And yeah, I genuinely feel like two of my characters are my brothers, because they are to my carsona. They're real to me, I love them incredibly deeply even though one is a psychopathic dickhead. The line between 'reality' and 'fiction' basically doesn't exist for many of my chars.

I I relate so much to that 😁 There's a certain line and once it's crossed, you experience a paradigm shift and find that you lost all inhibitions to root for even the evilest SOB. I have travelled far beyond that line already 😂 My newest crush is certain proof to that. No matter if he is covered in blood during some kind of mental breakdown, being a perfect picture of fury - I'll still think he's the cutest person alive ☺️

Identifying as fictoromantic for many years now, I can say that I couldn't care less about the distinction between real and fictional. As you said, they're  real to us, and that is all that matters.

On 1/3/2020 at 3:48 PM, HonoraryJedi said:

Essays welcome? Thank you. I am, after all, nearly incapable of writing anything in less than three paragraphs! It's a curse.

I never really have any direct romantic feelings for a character, in the way that I do not want that kind of relationship for myself, so it would not really make sense. I can get invested in characters. And sometimes, invested in the romantic relationships characters have in eachother, but I don't really want a character for me. There is another thread near here which shows a button that makes your favourite character real, and you can be romantically, though not sexually, involved with them. Might seem like a good deal for many asexuals, but it does not speak to me at all.

I can find characters hot though, that does happen. But it is still in a realm of fantasy. I can watch something and go "omg, that animated dude with the fancy hair is so sexy!" But if that dude actually came through my door and propositioned me? No! no way. The line between fiction and reality must absolutely remain there. That might also be why I can react like that to characters, but never celebrities.

Similarly, I have had the "I want to be your friend" reaction to characters. Usually in video games, and really, what I want is for them to be the friend of my character. I always relate quite heavily with my characters when playing games, but they are also not really exactly me.

A personal anecdote that as example on the first part: When I first read Pride and Prejudice I found myself really liking Darcy. I could relate to the way he loomed in the corner at parties. I told my dad this, and he said "Yeah, Darcy is pretty popular. I know there are facebook groups of women who all want a man like Mr.Darcy." And that seemed pretty alien to me, because does were not my feelings at all. A complete misinterpretation of what I meant. No part of me wanted to date him. I liked him as a character, and could relate to him. That is a completely different thing in my mind from wanting to have a person like that around that I could date.

That's close to me, thanks for saying it out loud! Especially the part about finding fictional characters hot - that's just YES. I think they are really the only people who i find attractive more or less sexually. But yeah, still, I don't want to have sex with them. Maybe see them having sex with some other character I love? Yeah, probably. Sounds a bit stalkery but whatever. 

Also I'm often offended about how perfect as friends or members characters could be. I mean I'm not sure if such sweet peron exist in reality. Of course I a bit want a qpr with them. BUT I always know this is not real, so it's not traumatic or something

I wouldn't say much romantic attraction (all the best characters are usually taken anyway, and who am I to break up a couple?), but certainly some aesthetic and "OMG I WOULD DIE TO BEFRIEND YOU" kind of vibes going on. Not sure if that would be squish, squash, or what there. For some reason I always get those mixed up, despite seeing definitions frequently.

I kinda doubt most of the fictional characters I pine over much would be all that interested in hanging out with me, with the exception of a very few.

I have met a handful of the actors who play said characters. At least one of them kind of short-circuited my brain by hugging me.

I am like @Scooter, in that I would LOVE to be friends with my favorite fictional characters, but its not anything romantic. I do not mind romance between characters (actually I love that stuff. HUGE mega-shipper over here lol) or even really mind sex in books. Its just like, "Ok then. Good for you". Don't like that in movies tho lol. 

An_Ace_Of_Hearts

I've never really felt attracted to any fictional characters, but I can appreciate the aesthetics 👍

hm there's different kinds for me:

• there's the characters I feel very connected to because I see a lot of me in them - or want to see a lot of me in them. usually my favorite characters and usually sidekicks lol
  • there's the ones I find just too cute and would love to be their friend (kinda like Scooter described)
  • there's the ones I'd just like to protect because they're so innocent and I feel for them. although he was a murdering psychopath, Penguin from the Gotham series (love it!) brought these feelings in me a lot lol very confusing but I think the actor is just too cute
  • there's the ones I'd like to get protected by because they radiate this strong, caring nature or something
  • and of course then there's the characters I have such a strong aversion against that I despise the character and can't stand the actor, either. sometimes for good reasons, sometimes I can't point my finger on it and wonder why others love them

I do notice that I hardly meet any people that elicit such strong emotions in me in real life. is it them or is it me? 😶

• 2 weeks later...
Lee the asexual panda

I don’t generally feel much attraction to characters, but there is an exception: Elsa with her hair down in Frozen 2. I am extremely aesthetically attracted to that. I could stare at her all day. Anyone with me on that?

9 hours ago, asexualpanda27 said:

I don’t generally feel much attraction to characters, but there is an exception: Elsa with her hair down in Frozen 2. I am extremely aesthetically attracted to that. I could stare at her all day. Anyone with me on that?

She's gorgeous for sure! I'm not aro though so not sure if I'm who you were looking for haha.

But anyways, according to pinknews, twitter lesbians thought so too https://www.pinknews.co.uk/2019/10/16/frozen-elsa-new-trailer-watch-lesbian-queer-twitter-reaction-viral/https://www.pinknews.co.uk/2019/10/16/frozen-elsa-new-trailer-watch-lesbian-queer-twitter-reaction-viral/

DarkStormyKnight

Oh man I LOVE fictional characters as well, I'm definitely fictoromantic to some degree. There have been a couple moments in my life where I've wondered if I'm just attracted to femmes now but then I run across a book with a great male character and realize that I'm still pan whoops.

I think there are like two different levels. Either I relate to them and it’s very platonic but that connection is kinda deep like I see me in them, or I see aspects of what I look for in a relationship and it’s still squish level I would say. It’s only that sometimes it gets really intense cause you’re almost inside this persons head. I feel this more often with books than other like tv shows and movies.

So I wonder if it changes for people depending on what the media source is?

nutterwithasolderingiron
19 hours ago, Hepalien said:

So I wonder if it changes for people depending on what the media source is?

i think it's how well they relate or connect with that character. i've said this before but i think the yandere character trope is interesting as hell...... but i also think of yandere's like tigers at the zoo. it's fun to watch them and maybe even educational..... but i dont want to be in there with them. 

i've often said one of my favorite characters of all time that i would actually want a relationship with is daria morgendorffer from daria (not just because i get strong ace vibes from her) but more because of how she reacts to problems. it's a similar way i try to. i really respect that. plus i like the idea she could probably nudge me into reading more and trying to get better as a person. 

Archived