Is Asexuality Healthy?

CluelessEjit

CluelessEjit

Hi. My sister recently came out to me as asexual. i hope this doesnt come across as rude, and i 100% support and respect her. When i was younger, though, i was told it was healthy to masturbate/ have sex every fortnight or so. idk if this is different from guys to girls to enbies, and i also dont know how true it is anyway. i looked up and didnt really find a helpful answer so i thought id come here. thanks in advance, and again i hope this isnt a rude q

Edited by CluelessEjit

also the big thing that is healthy about maintaining active sexual system is it keeps that system in good order, which is of no matter for someone who is has no intention of using it.

• Like 1

I guess sex is healthy, but then so is parsley. Some people like parsley and benefit from its consumption, some don't but they won't die from it. There are plenty of other ways of being healthy. 

• Like 3

Not all asexual masturbate or have sex.  I really don't think that either is necessary for health.

I'm way healthier than most people I know.  I'm 55 and my doctor says I "have the body of a 20 year old."  This is probably just because I take care of myself, exercise, don't smoke, don't drink much, don't do drugs, take vitamins, and etc.  Other people I know, which includes mostly sexual people (who are 99% of the population) treat their bodies like crap.  My blood pressure is 110 over 70 (which is pretty good for a middle aged person) and I take no drugs except vitamins and flax seed oil.

Sorry, but I'm sick & tired of people saying that sex is necessary for health.  It really is not.

Being sexually active does come with some health benefits. it also comes with a couple of risks.

I like to think of it like this: Imagine you don't like spinach. Spinach is said to be healthy. Now you don't like it, so you won't eat it. That means you won't get to benefit from the upsides of spinach, but that doesn't mean that your diet is unhealthy. Many roads lead to Rome :) 

• Like 4
AceMissBehaving

Like everyone has said above, being asexual is unlikely to negatively impact someone’s health.

If anything I imagine the stress of being asexual and trying to force yourself to be sexual would be detrimental to a persons health in a way that would vastly negate any possible benefits of having sex. 

• Like 1

People have likely overstated the "health benefits" of sexual release to you.

In short, you really shouldn't be concerned about it.  You almost certainly do things more unhealthy in your own daily life than someone not getting their rocks off on a regular basis (assuming that's even what's going on, because as pointed out aces can still very well masturbate or have sex)

• Like 1

oh, one last thing: the internet is not a doctor. this isn't a heavy duty medical question, so our advice isn't 'bad', especially since some comes with first-hand experience. but if you want authoritative answers to medical questions the best idea is to ask a doctor.

CluelessEjit

13 hours ago, Homer said:

Being sexually active does come with some health benefits. it also comes with a couple of risks.

I like to think of it like this: Imagine you don't like spinach. Spinach is said to be healthy. Now you don't like it, so you won't eat it. That means you won't get to benefit from the upsides of spinach, but that doesn't mean that your diet is unhealthy. Many roads lead to Rome :) 

woah i never thought about it like that. Thanks to everyone who replied i feel a lot more educated now, cheers

• Like 1
everywhere and nowhere
13 hours ago, AceMissBehaving said:

If anything I imagine the stress of being asexual and trying to force yourself to be sexual would be detrimental to a persons health in a way that would vastly negate any possible benefits of having sex. 

Just what I thought. Particularly if someone is sex-averse to an extent, the downsides of all the distress experienced due to forcing oneself to have sex would be much more than any possible benefits.

"Sex is healthy" is just propaganda, another sign that we live in a culture which privileges sexual activity over many other kinds of activities. I Just Don't Believe that these benefits could not be gained in other ways, such as sport, meditation, nonsexual intimacy... By the way, even if I have always been much less physically fit than the large majority of people of the same age, I don't need encouragement to practice at least some kinds of sport, those I like (for example cross-country skiing... if only there was some snow... :(). Conversely, no matter how healthy could sex possibly be, I would never try it. :mad:

• Like 1