Little mentions 2020

Homer

This thread is split from the 2020 thread. It is for any story related to asexuality which might not deserve its own thread.

Homer

Moderator World Watch

• 2 weeks later...

Rolling Stone — ‘Sex Education’ Season 2 Review: More Forbidden Fruit, A Little Less Sweet

avclub.com — Every character comes to life in Sex Education’s horny and heartfelt 2nd season

Apparently "Sex Education" is a teen comedy show featuring characters from all over the sexuality spectrum, asexuality included.

refinery29.com — The Art Of Not Having Sex: 5 Women On Why They Are Celibate

The article itself focuses on celibacy rather than asexuality, but they spoke to five people who have lived without sex for different periods of time and one of them is asexual.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/326518#mental-health-

Goes on and on how not having sex for a long time is depressing for some people... And then the magic words come

"For others, abstaining from sex is important for good mental health. People may abstain from sex for many reasons, for example, because they have a low sex drive, are asexual, or simply choose not to engage in it."

Reading this, I almost burst into tears. This is exactly what I have been experiencing my whole life. Living in a sexual relationship with constant demands for sex was detrimental to my mental health, felt depressed and sometimes felt traumatized. On the contrary, living without sex has made me happy. I think there should be more studies on the effect of sexual relation to asexual pshychology. 

• Like 1

worldatlas.com  What is LGBTQ?

Basic explanation of the letters.

Brief mention in the film straight Up

Todd asks his therapist "or, what if i am a hetero romantic asexual so I'm romantically attracted to women but sexually attracted to nobody" 

The movie is about Todd, who has only dated other men before, he is repulsed sexually due to his ocd and doesn't like bodily fluids to that decides to try to date women and meets Rory (female) in a library. They then enterred into a non-sexual relationship as it fulfils 2 of their dating needs - intellectual and interest. 

I must say i really enjoyed the film and love the idea their relationship

• Like 1

Where did you watch the movie Straight Up? Is it in Cinemas?

• 3 weeks later...

The Battalion  ‘Water Runs Red’ is not an average contemporary poetry collection

Poetry book with drawings and photos, centering around all aspects of relationships (and asexuality is featured as well)

Asexual and Demisexual mentioned in this episode of Jubilee!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I attended a webinar today about identities in the + of LGBTQ+, and both asexuality and aromanticism were big parts of it. AVEN was listed as the best place for information, and some resources (ones that I wrote :ph34r:) were quoted in the presentation. It was well done. Unfortunately I can't link to the presentation itself, but it was put on by the Centre for Sexuality based out of Calgary - centreforsexuality.ca 

It also explained pansexuality and intersex. Very good overall. 

• Like 8
  • 5 weeks later...

After a mention in series 3 of brockmire, asexuality was again mentioned in series 4 episode 5 "Double Header" of it

After his daughter asks for Jim brockmire to get a woman to give her advice on sexual stuff. Jim gets Lucy, a sex positive woman he knows to help his daughter on this. 

Lucy: so if you have any questions about anal sex, or oral sex, or any sex, you just ask. 

Beth: so you had all the sex? 

Lucy: all that can be had but that's who I am. There are asexual people out there who are just as satisfied with their lives as I am with mine. 

Trigger warning: episode starts with scene some may find uncomfortable because of sex talk and discussion

-----

@KathyHoh

Sorry I just saw the question on straight up now. Apologies

Here in UK & Ireland, it had been on the tv station sky cinema. 

I think it was in the cinema in the US on a limited release. I am not sure about other countries

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

My roommates were watching an episode of Drag Race season 12. I don't watch the show, so I couldn't tell you any more detail than that. Anyway, I overheard one of the gay contestants speak about his journey learning about the "LGBTQIA+" community from his gay uncle growing up. I was so touched that he said the acronym with the the "A" and "+" included 😭🥰 Honestly, I welled up a bit. It's a tiny mention, but it made me so happy to feel a little queer community love. ❤️ 

• 3 weeks later...

Not an explicit mention of asexuality, but this bit of a video called "lessons from a queer" (all the fun things cishet folks could learn from the LGBTQIAeverescalatinglettersalad+ community) made me exceedingly happy.

The whole thing is worth watching.