Dear Abby - 31 Dec 2019

michaeld

everywhere and nowhere

Is now even the expectation to have no sex at 67 unreasonable??? Asexuality aside, for me such a preference is not surprising in any woman of such age.

I'm not saying that elderly people should be desexualised and automatically expected to not have sex, but still: a great number of women at that age have zero interest in sex. Some people at that age may find sex physically challenging. Are now people expected to be sexually active until death?!

4 minutes ago, Nowhere Girl said:

Is now even the expectation to have no sex at 67 unreasonable??? Asexuality aside, for me such a preference is not surprising in any woman of such age.

I'm not saying that elderly people should be desexualised and automatically expected to not have sex, but still: a great number of women at that age have zero interest in sex. Some people at that age may find sex physically challenging. Are now people expected to be sexually active until death?!

I think that's a very good point. Still I understand where the writer may be coming from. The very fact she's been single all her life might in itself be a turn off for many people (not saying that's right, but it's plausible). I think this is much less likely in the ace community - we all understand not wanting sex, and the isolation this can cause.

12 hours ago, Nowhere Girl said:

Is now even the expectation to have no sex at 67 unreasonable???

I don't think that that's the point here. There are people who are sexually active at that age (and beyond). The mileage will vary of course, but it can still be a factor.

Janus the Fox

It’s ad-block pay walled for me hmm...

Interesting; good response from Dear Abby, too.

Archived