Zebrafinch

Did you keep them?  

54 members have voted

1. 1. Did you keep them?

• Yes
    • No
    • A few of them
    • Didn't make any
  2. 2. Are you going to keep this year's?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe
    • Didn't make any

This poll is closed to new votes

After conversing with my father and discovering that we BOTH have god-awful memories (so I guess it's genetic and I didn't hit my head as a kid), I've made a resolution to journal every day, even if it's really mundane. My dad says he barely remembers his parents (they died when he was in his early twenties), and I could easily see something like that happening to me. If I can't remember it on my own, then I'll have to write it down!

Whore*of*Mensa
2 hours ago, Grimalkin said:

I've made a resolution to journal every day, even if it's really mundane.

Same!

I don't make any. They'd only get broken so why bother going through with the charade 

I didn't make any resolutions, but I'm looking to change job and career as soon as possible, I've set a target for the end of January...... last year I was turned down for a number of jobs due to my age so it's going to be a tough one 

Grumpy Alien

I don’t make them.

dragonfire42

If I made any resolutions for 2019, I don't remember them (entirely possible that I did and forgot, I have significant memory issues due to ECT I had for my depression). My resolution for this year is to become more independent by a) getting a job and/or b) getting an apartment of my own or moving into an assisted living program (I'm autistic, so I have additional challenges that may require the latter, if I can find one that will accept me). I'm letting myself only do one because I have a hard time adjusting to change and both of those are big changes. Also, the last time I had a job, it was only part-time and still had enough stress and stuff that it wreaked havoc with my mental health and I ended up in the hospital four times in one year. So really, both of those have the possibility of hugely failing. Can't say for sure whether one, the other, or both will happen, but I'm hopeful that at least one will.

J. van Deijck

I didn't really make any, I would forget them the next day anyway.

i make them so i can forget/break them. otherwise, what’s the fun?

On 1/3/2020 at 4:16 PM, dragonfire42 said:

If I made any resolutions for 2019, I don't remember them (entirely possible that I did and forgot, I have significant memory issues due to ECT I had for my depression). My resolution for this year is to become more independent by a) getting a job and/or b) getting an apartment of my own or moving into an assisted living program (I'm autistic, so I have additional challenges that may require the latter, if I can find one that will accept me). I'm letting myself only do one because I have a hard time adjusting to change and both of those are big changes. Also, the last time I had a job, it was only part-time and still had enough stress and stuff that it wreaked havoc with my mental health and I ended up in the hospital four times in one year. So really, both of those have the possibility of hugely failing. Can't say for sure whether one, the other, or both will happen, but I'm hopeful that at least one will.

Good luck!

I already inflict enough on myself every year by observing Lent, so I don't bother with New Year's resolutions on top of that.

CelesteAdAstra

I already failed

On 12/31/2019 at 9:19 PM, Grimalkin said:

After conversing with my father and discovering that we BOTH have god-awful memories (so I guess it's genetic and I didn't hit my head as a kid), I've made a resolution to journal every day, even if it's really mundane. My dad says he barely remembers his parents (they died when he was in his early twenties), and I could easily see something like that happening to me. If I can't remember it on my own, then I'll have to write it down!

A good idea to get some video as well. It's the mannerisms you forget until you see them again. The way they talk and say certain things, the way they walk, sit etc... The things they always say. Even the sound of their voice is easy to forget, surprisingly.

As for new year's resolutions. I didn't/don't make any. 2020 is possibly going to be hard enough as it is without extra hassle. It's only the 6th and financially I had to fork out a lot of money already on car repairs on a car that's quite old but essential for work. By the time I drove it home, one of the indicator bulbs went, so that's the next thing. My TV is on the blink, they're making things hard at work already, my bl*nking computer is giving me trouble and so does my work laptop and there's a good chance we'll all be made redundant later on in the year and I don't have the energy/physical and mental strength to look for a new job and possibly move house. </moan>

But, all small problems compared to some.

I told myself I'd cut back on caffeine. I've already been really freaking bad about this. Maybe once I'm in the states and can vary my drinks more. The sugar water I'm used to just isn't here and the stuff that is can't replace that intense rush soda gives me. 

Working out was something from last year I couldn't keep. Maybe when I'm back in the States and have someone to go with who will motivate me and I know won't judge me or distract me from my goals. 

I don't make 'em. If there's something I want to do or change, I do so throughout the year. New Year's resolutions have always seemed rather arbitrary to me.

• 11 months later...

@Zebrafinch

This poll is being locked and moved to the read only Census archive for it's respective year. As part of ongoing Census organisation, and in an attempt to keep the demographics of the polls current with the active user base at the time, the polls will last for one year from now on. However, members are allowed and even encouraged to restart new polls similar to the archived ones if they like them.

iff, Census Forum Moderator

Archived