Speech pathologist teaches dog to communicate

SorryNotSorry

SorryNotSorry

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/speech-pathologist-dog-stella-speak_n_5dc8c929e4b0fcfb7f68d271

I wonder if it's possible to teach a cat to communicate like this? What would a cat tell us? Inter-species communication is one of those chimeras of science, but Alex the gray parrot got me thinking otherwise. He had a sense of humor and made up words for things he couldn't identify.

Back to Avalon
45 minutes ago, Woodworker1968 said:

What would a cat tell us?

Sometimes I wonder, and other times I think I'm better off not knowing,

Most "pet" species communicate with humans by either sound or action. Things like if a cat gives you a wash it's showing that you're part of the tribe. 

If cat picks dinner bowl up with its paws and throws it at you, then cat is hungry :P:P

I wonder if there is some Clever Hans effect partially at work there? And how much is it the human being trained as well as the dog? :) (for example, maybe the dog learns "if I push this button/these buttons I get this reaction from the person")

Like "Meow" or "Woof" means slave drops whatever they are doing and comes running? Yep :P:P

13 hours ago, Woodworker1968 said:

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/speech-pathologist-dog-stella-speak_n_5dc8c929e4b0fcfb7f68d271

I wonder if it's possible to teach a cat to communicate like this? What would a cat tell us? Inter-species communication is one of those chimeras of science, but Alex the gray parrot got me thinking otherwise. He had a sense of humor and made up words for things he couldn't identify.

Cat would say, "feed me and leave me alone".

SorryNotSorry

Probably stuff like hungry, head rub now, tired

"stop moving, your my pillow."

Koko was a gorilla who knew sign language. Chaser was a dog who knew the name of all of her toys, as well as the category each toy belonged in (doll, ball...). 

Some dolphins may use names, made up of the dolphin's individual name, its mother's name and the name of the pod (makes sense for pack hunters, who often have to know exactly who is where). I also read about researchers inventing a dolphin word for sargassum, which the dolphins started to use. (Source: some scientific magazine from a few years ago, so take it with a pinch of salt). 

IMO inter-species communication is already a thing, albeit limited. 

Archived