Asking the Ace Furries for an opinion on a video regarring the Furry Fandom

HikaruBG

Non-furries can give their opinion too but the video in question talks mostly about the furry fandom and it encourages them to give their own opinion on the fandom as insiders.

Here is the video in question.

I advice to watch it at it's entirety because the person who made yhe video does give a very interesting POV on the Furry Fandom as an outsider.

I, personally, am not a furry.... however, I do find werewolves (a creature that is very popular within the Furry Fandom) fascinating as a mythical/legenday creature...

Spoiler

I wouldn't be surprised if I were to be labelled as a furry because of that...

I have an acquaintance who said that he has been called a furry simply because he works on a comic of his that features an evolved form of dinosaurs.

Spoiler Alert: He isn't... aaand his comic is like that because he is draws inspiration from numerous shows like Pokemon, Digimon, Dragon Ball and so on.

And that's the thing - I'm very interested with Mythology... From different godly pantheons (this is why I love SMITE a lot as well) to the countless of mythological creatures, like werewolves, vampires, trolls, dragons, ect.

And to be honest, I kind of agree with the video.

Spoiler

If you are interested in the series and want to hear the interviews/debates (part 2 and part 3), here are the links.

https://youtu.be/xc3n8aduLLg

https://youtu.be/anrRX5cpVW4

Be warned tho, each of them are 1 hour long.

I think I need to be 20 years younger than I am to be able to watch this without having a seizure

I like anthro art, I always have, I think that's pretty much all being a furry is about at its core. Its taken to the extreme as with all 'niche' communities and the extreme is what is most visible.

34 minutes ago, œddy said:

I think I need to be 20 years younger than I am to be able to watch this without having a seizure

I like anthro art, I always have, I think that's pretty much all being a furry is about at its core. Its taken to the extreme as with all 'niche' communities and the extreme is what is most visible.

Yeah, the 3rd part does talk about the reasons why people are part of the fandom, including for the art. That, unfortunately, included the "bad" reasons.

Yeah, you can just listen to it.

Sorry about that, I didn't think that this video has the possibility of causing seizures.

50 minutes ago, œddy said:

*decides on balance not to follow the link*

2 hours ago, HikaruBG said:

Sorry about that, I didn't think that this video has the possibility of causing seizures.

Bad choice of words maybe, only implying that it is of the younger YT creators that use a very frenetically edited style. Its hard to watch or get at what they point is while everything is either exploding or attacking your senses in some way.

I can't take the video seriously now. It's a long video so I did some quick skips to check out what he is talking about before watching it as a whole and I listen to a part about him comparing a DnD player to furries and that furries wants an eternal escape instead of improving their daily life... That's bullshit. Sure, some people might be like that (which can apply to anyone, not just furries) but not the furry fandom in general... And since he already made that one bold bullshit claim... I don't trust the video to be decent due to misconceptions.

For example, I remember seeing a part where he talks about the % of furries who don't wish to be humans and what-not... Sure, that's normal for a lot of people in all honesty. Hell, I personally hate the human race because we are assholes to each other, animals, and this planet. There's a reason why I love fantasy races a lot more in video games than the human ones (be it elves or beast), and I use my own fursona on the internet as my own escape into my imagination and how that character is like is whom I would love to be, and I use it to inspire myself to become a better human, rather than being like the trash we are as a species.

2 hours ago, Jusey1 said:

I can't take the video seriously now. It's a long video so I did some quick skips to check out what he is talking about before watching it as a whole and I listen to a part about him comparing a DnD player to furries and that furries wants an eternal escape instead of improving their daily life... That's bullshit. Sure, some people might be like that (which can apply to anyone, not just furries) but not the furry fandom in general...

To me, the comparison to the DnD players does make sense to some extent.

The whole DnD thing is done to escape the daily life that is rather boring, while the furry thing - it is done to escape the notion that one is human but they don't mind the life they have otherwise.

2 hours ago, Jusey1 said:

For example, I remember seeing a part where he talks about the % of furries who don't wish to be humans and what-not... Sure, that's normal for a lot of people in all honesty. Hell, I personally hate the human race because we are assholes to each other, animals, and this planet. There's a reason why I love fantasy races a lot more in video games than the human ones (be it elves or beast), and I use my own fursona on the internet as my own escape into my imagination and how that character is like is whom I would love to be, and I use it to inspire myself to become a better human, rather than being like the trash we are as a species.

Yeah, I agree, there is nothing wrong with wanting to be of other race because you think that it's cool or that you think that it's a better race. Let's be honest, being human is kind of boring.

However, doing to such an extreme? It's rather concerning.

Also, wanting to be of other race because you hate being human and humanity as a race, sounds like internalised misanthropy to me.

Don't get me wrong, I genuinely understand that feeling (I sometimes even wish for our leaders to push the red buttons for the nukes and to end it all) but I don't think that this is the real reason why these furries doesn't want to be humans.

1 minute ago, HikaruBG said:

However, doing to such an extreme? It's rather concerning.

What "extreme" are we talking about here? Sexual one? Cosplaying one? There's a lot of possible definitions here.

1 minute ago, Jusey1 said:

What "extreme" are we talking about here? Sexual one? Cosplaying one? There's a lot of possible definitions here.

Doing it 24/7.

The whole sexual thing may or may not take place. It really depends on the furry because apparently to a certain part of the furry fandom, the sexual aspect does matter to them.

I suppose I don't actually care enough to ask why you might care at all about any of this.

I mean, have you put much thought into how deck hights are determined in submarines?

4 hours ago, HikaruBG said:

Doing it 24/7.

The whole sexual thing may or may not take place. It really depends on the furry because apparently to a certain part of the furry fandom, the sexual aspect does matter to them.

I don't know a single furry who does it 24/7, and ye'h. I agree that is going too far.

8 hours ago, gisiebob said:

I suppose I don't actually care enough to ask why you might care at all about any of this.

I mean, have you put much thought into how deck hights are determined in submarines?

Because I was inspired by the video to create this thread? Do you have a problem with that?

If you don't care then why waste time to waste the time make a comment?

7 hours ago, HikaruBG said:

Because I was inspired by the video to create this thread? Do you have a problem with that?

If you don't care then why waste time to waste the time make a comment?

I don't know. I live in a world of questionable content. where hours of makeup tutorials uploaded per second is possibly a viable metric. sometimes I have the gumption to take a critical eye to the worth and wit of the pyroclastic flows around me, but you're right today ain't one of them.

• 11 months later...
WoodwindWhistler

This is what I got from this video after suffering through 2/3rds of his forced, antiquated stilted speech:

"These nerds are not as big nerds as I am. Therefore they bad. Fantasy that existed before a certain point in history is inherently superior than currently produced fantasy because I say so. I will now fixate on the sexual side of fandom before throwing out some vaguely ableist sounding shit about how I think they're detached from reality." 

You know what? I'm not even that far INTO the fandom (I write stories, sure, but not big into the social side of it) and I'M insulted on behalf of all the friends I don't even have there. 

Archived