Where were you at the turn of the millennium?

Snao Cone

Spoiler

CxhwZMR.jpg

I was 27 and I was at a party in Stockholm, Sweden.  Crimped hair! 

I was 51 and ccan still remember calculating, when in my teens, how  old I would be when the new millenium began, and couldin't imagine being THAT old!!  I was at home, my younger son had a New Year's Party as my mother was away in Birkenhead visitng my brother.
There was all the panic about computers crashing - all the work involved in making sure they were 'Y2K compliant' so traffic lights wuld continue to operate, and air traffic control, and would planes drop out of the sky. I can also remember the great debates there were about 'When did the second millenium actually begin - 1 Jan 2000 or 1 Jan 2001' - probably still arguing about it 😁

I was standing on a hill in Seattle, watching fireworks with my partner and his brother and brother's wife, being extremely cold and wishing I'd worn my puffy coat.  

I was 18 at the turning of the thousands digit (year 2000) and 19 at the turn of the millennium, although at the time virtually everyone called the former the new millennium. (It would have made far more sense to count from 0 in retrospect, but for the sake of historical continuity, centuries and millennia start at 1.) I don't remember much happening. I remember fireworks in London, which were relatively new at new year (starting the previous year). The "millennium bug" never really arrived, perhaps precisely because of all the attention it had. At the turn of 2001, the whole world was still caught up in the drama of the US election (which I think had only just been resolved in the courts and electoral college maybe a week or two earlier). Ah well, more of that to come this year...

I was managing an IT department - server team, PC support, networking - so I spent the evening and night remotely accessing the data center from home once an hour to watch my guys eat snacks (shrimp tray!) via webcam and then send “all good so far” email updates to senior management.

(I did have a glass of wine even though I technically wasn’t supposed to once it was clear doom wasn’t going to strike and I wasn’t going to have to go to the building; I just kept it off-camera)

My cousins, siblings and I recorded a fake horror movie that we called "The Ten Deaths of the Millennium" (or atleast I think it was ten). I remember a few of them; there was death by shoes, death by toilet (that was the way I died, I stuck my head into the toilet and someone flushed), and one of the deaths was a copy of the scene from the first Scream movie where Drew Barrymore's character is killed. I was ten years old at the time.

I remember quite well that my little brother and I stayed up late cutting out a lot of fake paper money to use for some pseudo-film project (I believe it was during our spate of trying out claymation with webcams), and then we went for a walk around the neighborhood. I was ten years old. One of my parents had just retired from her job as a sys admin at one local university and the other was just starting working as one again at another local university, so there was a fair amount of talk about the unlikelyhood of Y2K really causing any major problems in their respective systems (which, of course, it didn't).

There was also a fun satyrical Muse article about the 'coming apocalypse'. That was good. And we had candy containers - I don't remember what sort of candy they contained - that were shaped like Y2K banks. Mostly, I remember it as something to laugh about; it never concerned me, and the import of reaching a new millenium didn't sink in on me until a few years later.

ISTG we sat and watched the computer clock turn. We were very disappointed when nothing happened.

I was 14. I remember saluting the twentieth century shortly before midnight at my grandmother's house. I wouldn't do it now.

• 4 weeks later...

i was 11, so i would have been at home and watching the ball drop on TV with my family like i did every year.

I have a horrible memory, so all I can remember was that I was living in Virginia at the time. Probably trying to stay up late despite my parents not wanting us to (they didn't let us until high school). 

I remember watching the celebrations across the country on TV all day on the 31st. It wasn't a very interesting day. For some reason, I remember the mail man coming.

• 3 weeks later...
Dingledoodie

NYE, 1999?  I was in a cute cottage near Tynemouth on the North East Coast of England, overlooking the dark wintry North Sea with my then partner, just the two of us, escaping all the madness of the city.

Low End Things

I was 8 then. I grew up in NYC and we watched the ball drop from home in Brooklyn. Either my mom or dad thought all power in the city would go out at exactly midnight. Not sure how I remember this, but pretty sure people were partying particularly hard that night after the ball dropped since the world didn't break itself.

fooledbysecrecy

i was 13, living in a small shitty town in finland, hyping sandstorm by darude looong before it was a meme :lol: 

that particular NYE i guess i was watching the anticlimactic fireworks the town had organised, with my fam, and then just went home lmao.

Archived