Where were you at the turn of the millennium?

Snao Cone

New Year's approaching has me thinking of what I was up to in 1999. I was in high school, so it was Christmas break, and I had nothing to do but sleep and hang out with friends. A couple of friends of mine had birthdays in that period, including one on NYE, so she had a party in her basement that had carpeting on the walls. The girls could sleep over but the boys had to leave just after midnight. I let my hair go curly (very very rare in those days), put it in pigtails, and spray painted it different colours. I was using an astrology kit I bought at a book store to make charts for my friends. We were watching a music video dance party on MuchMusic (like the MTV of Canada back when music videos were still played) and I think we also watched Empire Records that night just because. This friend had a very odd family who often interrupted things throughout the night in their weird ways, which is part of why the event sticks out to me so much. It was basically a quintessential representation of what my high school social life/peer group was like and what we got up to.

Do you remember what you were doing when the millennium changed?

I was 11...and I don't remember much. :P I remember so little from my pre-teen years lol. I'm sure I did nothing special, as usual.

Lord Jade Cross

That was many moons ago. Sadly, I only recall the "end of the world" panic that was being aired everywhere but not a whole lot of other things .

I was 10, so I don't think I was really doing anything in particular for new years.

in the tiniest club in Nottingham wearing a super cool patchwork silk shirt

CelesteAdAstra

I was 5 and there's photographic evidence of me being wrapped in fluffy jackets, standing on our balcony and holding a sparkler.

I was 27, and spent the night working, as I was a cab driver way back then 

AceMissBehaving

I was 19 and in the backyard of a house a bunch of friends shared together watching my drunk friend set off fireworks badly. One bottle rocket did a zigzag between two trees before shooting off into a neighbors garden.

I remember a voice coming over the fence saying “Houston we have a problem”

I was 3 and probably asleep 😂 Besides, I never really liked staying up for New Year's. I'd rather just go to sleep like normal.

I was 17. Got a bit drunk, then stayed up and watched the sunrise 🌅

No idea.

Custard Cream

I was on a river boat on the Thames near the London Eye, watching the amazing fireworks and swigging champagne.  

I was 40. I was home. I had some Guinness and watched a movie. I passed out before midnight.

Phantasmal Fingers

I was 35 and living in Singapore teaching English. I went round to my bosses flat for the evening with some colleagues and drank a few beers. 

The number geeks say the millennium didn't start until 2001? Which is it? The discussion continues.

Also 2000 was not the standard leap year. It was is another rule that states, "The year is also evenly divisible by 400. Becomes a leap year." 

9 hours ago, Sleighcaptain said:

I was 27, and spent the night working, as I was a cab driver way back then 

Oh how things have changed. :P

34 minutes ago, njosnavelin said:

The number geeks say the millennium didn't start until 2001? Which is it?

I think people who point that out, or try to enforce it by lecturing people who call 2000 the start of a millennium, are about as useful as people who constantly say Jesus wasn't born on December 25th. 

Hard to keep track of all the years, but I'm pretty sure I was at home watching New Year's stuff on tv. I had spent portions of the previous year in a fairly new job testing software for Y2K issues. We actually did find some minor issues which were taken care of. I don't usually try to stay up until midnight on NYE, but the turn of the millennium seemed like a good time to try (and watch some of the coverage around the world).

I was 8 and in 3rd grade. My mom and her girlfriend at the time were having a New Year's Eve party and it was the first New Year's Eve that I was allowed to stay up and count down to the New Year, and I was also allowed to have a tiny bit of champagne. I remember earlier in the day we had BET on our TV at my dad's house and they were playing a bunch of old music videos. Me and the other kids thought that since it was the year 2000 everything was gonna start being futuristic and we'd have flying cars, people would be able to clone themselves, etc. I don't think I really believed in the Y2K thing, I do remember that my dad had to go into work for a little while just to make sure everything was okay.

Home, I'm sure, as my son was only 10 at the time. We probably just stayed up till midnight watching TV...no real recollection of it. Oh, we had a new cat, THAT I now remember! We had gone to the Humane Society between Christmas and New Year's to pick out a second cat.

I was on a break from college and spent the night with a couple of high school friends. It was incredibly lame.

I don't think I've ever had an exciting new years' eve, come to think of it.

I was 8. My mom made a cheese and cracker platter and then my sister and I tried to stay awake till midnight watching movies. Something we attempted each year. I fell asleep before midnight, like always.

Whore*of*Mensa

Went to a big fireworks display with my boyfriend of the time, he was the first ever boy I lived with. I think we were really bored actually, it was a boring night and we sort of bored each other. We always thought the same things - can't remember anything we disagreed on - and we were already sleeping in separate rooms by then. We just lived in perfect harmony. Looking back it was the perfect relationship for me, but back in my 20s I thought there should be more excitement somewhere out there, as did he...!

I was working nights then, and we had a TV on at my workplace watching each successive time zone mark the arrival of 2000. That still seems pretty vivid in my mind, so it’s hard to believe we’re already two decades into this century.

MercyIsVictory

I was eight. I remember being at church the week before, and the pastor began his sermon by walking onto the stage wearing a gas mask and carrying a giant bag of chips and a two-liter soda. Everyone laughed, and I remember finding it quite funny as well, even though my overcharged imagination had been visualizing crashing planes and other apocalyptic scenarios. I remember helping my Mom take down the Christmas tree while watching the celebrations being aired live from different countries around the world; I was fascinated by that. When midnight struck, I was standing in the living room, and all the adults were watching TV, but I was staring intently at the microwave in the kitchen; in my mind, it wasn't officially the new year until the microwave clock switched to twelve. It did, and my Dad lifted up his glass of wine in a toast. I heard a loud bang out in the backyard behind me, and I whirled around, thinking for a split second that the world actually was ending after all. But no, it was just fireworks. I was allowed to stay up until 1:30 AM, and I was intensely proud of that. 

I was on the back porch of a friend's house drunk as heck smoking a joint with one of the only girls I've ever found attractive and a couple of others waiting for the end of time. And yelling obscenities at their neighbor who happened to be he middle school principle who said I couldn't play on the basketball team because they didn't have enough uniforms. To be 19 again...nope, I'll pass.

I was about 11 in senior school, when sky TV was new and everyone wanted it to watch more of the Simpson and play beehive bedlam. I miss that game so bad 😭 I was at home watching telly and eating nibbles. 

Late to the party ... I was at my cousin's, near the Netherlands. 360° panorama fireworks, y'all. 🥳  And then we spent the better part of January 1st 2000 playing Starfleet Academy because cousin & co had an actual gaming PC. We felt like the coolest nerds ever. 😎

Archived