How did you tell your family?

wolf_of_the_pack_

wolf_of_the_pack_

I haven't told my family (or anybody, for that matter) and I always see memes about people complaining that the people they tell just say they haven't met the right person or their too young. I am still a teenager, so I don't think they would believe me yet, and I don't think it will come up until I'm older. I was just wondering how other people came out to their friends and family?

Edited by wolf_of_the_pack_

I'm 37. Never "went in", so no need to "come out". Sex and romance are such a miniscule part of who I am that it's just not worth to make a fuss about it. My folks know that I'd rather travel :D

(Besides that, there's absolutely nothing unusual about not having felt that kind if stuff at 14!)

• Like 2

I’m out to most of my friends and fully out at work. I’m not out to my family yet. But I will be. Some day. Maybe...

Every time bar one I waited for a conversation where it would logically fit, rather than shoehorn it in somewhere. Like relationships/sex/whether someone is sexy/etc. The one exception I just text my friend something along the lines of “And in other news: I’ve finally worked out my orientation” 🤣

• Like 1

Although I also knew I was ace at 14, I stayed closeted for a few years, partially because I didn't want to argue about being too young to know.  If anyone asked, I just said I wasn't sure.  

My coming-out strategy now is just to say I'm ace if anyone asks.  I'm out to a few of my friends but not my family.  It'll probably come up eventually, but I'm in no rush.  

• Like 1

i won't tell my family unless the conversation happens to come up. I don't tell my family anything though

• Like 1

I just told my mom and sister and reminded them about different things that happened as I was growing up and was like “I now understand why all that”.

They agreed that it made sense.

I just told my cousin yesterday and I just said I realized I was asexual. She was like “yeah that makes sense.”

So I think it just depends on you and your situation and what can be easily understood.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, 3Xi3X said:

I just told my mom and sister and reminded them about different things that happened as I was growing up and was like “I now understand why all that”.

They agreed that it made sense.

I just told my cousin yesterday and I just said I realized I was asexual. She was like “yeah that makes sense.”

So I think it just depends on you and your situation and what can be easily understood.

👍

• Like 1
wolf_of_the_pack_
21 hours ago, CBC said:

I would strongly suggest not coming out to your family at this point. No one in your family is expecting to know details of your sexuality at 14; things may change as you get older and there just isn't much reason to do so now.

Yeah I know I seem too young and thats why I'm not coming out until Im like 20 or something. It just feels like Im pulling around a guilty secret all the time by not telling them, even if It might be false (which I honestly don't think it will change). But yeah, I was just wondering how other people told their families☺

AceMissBehaving

I never had any intention of telling my family, so just went about life till trying to hide it because an active choice. Then I just made the active decision to stop redacting myself on social media when o had something to say, and they’d either piece it together or they won’t. This happened at the ripe old age of 39.

• Like 2

I made a mass announcement to my family at a family gathering this past Thursday (December 26). We played this game where everyone wrote an obscure fact about themselves on a piece of paper, and then tried to guess which person went with each fact. I drew an ace flag on my paper instead of writing the fact in words. It took the group some time to figure out who was the ace, but then my cousin (who recognized the flag because her roommate is ace) guessed it was me.