Lord Jade Cross

34 minutes ago, Jade Cross said:

What say you?

I say as always: I'm so freaking priviledged........................................ I wish I could help you somehow. Where I live, one fulltime job is sufficient for most people. (Not that everyone can get a fulltime job). 🍰

5 minutes ago, appleseedy said:

this is the myth of the trickle down effect. 

Here's the truth (over a decade since the release of this video, but still so true and quite fun to watch actually)

Spoiler

Chocolatastic AroAce

I guess it depends on the job... even the so called 'good' jobs sometimes come with unexpected catches. Like having to take work home because you boss will give you more to do then can be done in a typical workday. So your options are do it and say bye to free time or don't do it and appear lazy.

So yeah I see what you mean...it seems like no matter what there isn't much time for fun, either because your broke or your job consumes all your time. I don't know how people are able to have kids. I struggle just finding time for myself.

I'm a truck driver, im stuck out tonight, I started working at 1am today, an average working day is 15 hours, including travel time to and from work, im away from home for 18 hours a day, I have one and a half days off a week, pay isn't that good either, but at my age, I have to take whatever I can, over 50, over the hill, no one wants to employ you

2 minutes ago, Jade Cross said:

While I've no doubt this is true, I think it extends more that the 50's age range. Nowadays, not only do jobs request insane and even questionable traits to possses or things to do, they basically want you doing 2 or 3 types of job simultaneously, all while claiming its a "need" for the company, under the threat of job termination.

We are drivers, off-loaders, loaders, secretaries, (you would not believe how much paperwork we're expected to fill out), mechanics, cleaners, we're expected to be polite, look respectable, do whatever gets thrown at us in unreasonable times achieving a good fuel consumption figure, keep our vehicles spotless, or, like you said, it's goodbye job, as a truck driver we are seen as easily disposable, but the old ones are going to run out and young people don't want to and can't afford to come into this line of work, I wouldn't recommend this job or lifestyle to my worst enemy 

As companies compete for delivering a service at the cheapest price, we see a lot of foreign truck drivers work in Sweden. They get paid less, they have to work more, they are not provided proper lodging for the night and many have to wash at McDonald's public bathrooms or do their stuff in a roadtrench. They often drive more hours than legal in one shift and their vehicles are not always up to standards. That's what I've heard about foreign truck drivers from the media and also from a guy who was in charge on a logistics site. I haven't heard about the exact conditions for Swedish truckdrivers. Busdrivers do have complaints now and again, having to fight for piss-breaks and -facilities at end stops and being scheduled in two half shifts on one day with a couple of hours unpaid break in the middle.

So, my recommendation for everyone is: move to Sweden and become a traindriver. It's roughly one year education/practice, roughly 2800 Euro after taxes, even over 50's are very welcome, the alarmclock hours piss you off from time to time, but the sunrise views and the going-to-work-all-by-my-self-no-one-else-on-the-road is chill, and the working conditions are as follows:

(once I typed my way through the surface of all the good stuff, I realized that this might be rather disturbing to quite a large number of people, especially OP, hence, I'll put it in a spoiler, be warned, it tells the story of a priviledged princess that happened to land on the right spot on this planet. I severely hope that you don't get offended, but inspired to hope for and take action towards a better future.)

Spoiler

* If you are scheduled a longer break than one hour, you'll still be paid one quarter per hour and you'll get a room to lock you up and stretch out on a proper bed.

* maximum 12 hour shift, maximum 5 hour without break, minimum 30 minutes break

* minimum 11 hours between shifts ending/starting at your home station, overnight shift 8 hours between shifts is sufficient, and you get a hotel room and breakfast, taxi to the hotel if it's far or if it's on friday or saturday nights.

* 38 hrs week for shift work, 36 for night shift, leveled out on a six week period.

* 25 days paid holidays, the employee has the right to take out 4 weeks in a row in the so called main holiday period which is june-august.

* men are allowed to wear the uniform skirt or turbane and women are allowed to wear a headscarf (I always mix up the words, I mean the muslim type headscarf, not covering the face).

* employer has no right to even ask you on your job interview whether you are or intend to get pregnant.

* we have several unions to choose from and can sloppily sit down at the kitchen table with our boss and joke about this stuff over a cup of coffee

* the employer even has a company internal structure of ombudsmen, filled by coworkers that are supposed to watch over our working environment and they are granted the right by law to put a workers' protectional stop to a certain task if they see fit; we've had this for example for shunting on sites where there was railway repair going on and it was considered a risk that we may stumble over non level cable tunnels.

* We have access to fruitbaskets and coffe/tea at all resting sites

* we are provided healthcare, both preventative and rehab by our employer

* if the employer suspects, that you have an alcohole issue, they are suspending you from duty, but you get help and they try everything to get you back to the job; public health care will fill in with 80% of you salary, and your employer will still pay you 10% of the salary, while you are off duty for taking care of your drinking issue.

* per child you get 450 days off work that you can freely distribute between the two parents, 80% salary by public care, 10% by employer.

* til your kid(s) are 12 you are entitled to work up to 25% less (without salary) without the employer threatening your job or position in any way, you have the right to keep your exact job.

* if you need to stay home with sick kids, 80% public, 10% employer, no questions asked.

~~~~~~~   D I D   I   M E N T I O N   H O W   D A R N E D   P R I V I L E D G E D   I   F E E L ?   ~~~~~~

Capitalism really sucks. I realize, the above list sounds like a freaking utopia or phantasy, but it's the truth, and the utopia is actually the capitalist doctrine that some people believe in, cos it's not sustainable. Sure, we have problems in Scandinavia as well, but the good stuff prevails.

5 hours ago, Jade Cross said:

Not a truck driver myself but I do have an idea of what you mean as I did do deliveries and had to keep a list what I delivered, time to and from location/destination, money that I had from the deliveries, and the last minute "neccesary deliveries" that would pop up sometimes with as little as 15 min left on the clock that would actually make me have to wait 30-45 mins after I was supposed to be out once the delivery was made.

I actually kept 2 records on hand, one I handed in, the other I kept just in case I was accused of something ,which did happen and I had my proof to say otherwise. That shut up and pissed off others a few times when they coulf wrongly accuse me of something.

I actually keep a diary too, whatever I write on my run sheet goes in my diary, bullying and false accusations are standard in our line of work 

I'm waiting for something to be said as I ended up sleeping in my cab last night due to running out of driving time and duty time, here we can do a maximum of 10 hours driving or 15 hours duty time. I am 35 minutes away from the depot, I stopped dead on 15 hours duty time and 9 hours 59 minutes of driving, I'm now getting ready to start another day's duty, had my cold shower after a night in a cold cab and ready to start in 5 minutes time, another 15 hour day awaits 

2 hours ago, elisabeth_II said:

As companies compete for delivering a service at the cheapest price, we see a lot of foreign truck drivers work in Sweden. They get paid less, they have to work more, they are not provided proper lodging for the night and many have to wash at McDonald's public bathrooms or do their stuff in a roadtrench. They often drive more hours than legal in one shift and their vehicles are not always up to standards. That's what I've heard about foreign truck drivers from the media and also from a guy who was in charge on a logistics site. I haven't heard about the exact conditions for Swedish truckdrivers. Busdrivers do have complaints now and again, having to fight for piss-breaks and -facilities at end stops and being scheduled in two half shifts on one day with a couple of hours unpaid break in the middle.

So, my recommendation for everyone is: move to Sweden and become a traindriver. It's roughly one year education/practice, roughly 2800 Euro after taxes, even over 50's are very welcome, the alarmclock hours piss you off from time to time, but the sunrise views and the going-to-work-all-by-my-self-no-one-else-on-the-road is chill, and the working conditions are as follows:

(once I typed my way through the surface of all the good stuff, I realized that this might be rather disturbing to quite a large number of people, especially OP, hence, I'll put it in a spoiler, be warned, it tells the story of a priviledged princess that happened to land on the right spot on this planet. I severely hope that you don't get offended, but inspired to hope for and take action towards a better future.)

Reveal hidden contents

* If you are scheduled a longer break than one hour, you'll still be paid one quarter per hour and you'll get a room to lock you up and stretch out on a proper bed.

* maximum 12 hour shift, maximum 5 hour without break, minimum 30 minutes break

* minimum 11 hours between shifts ending/starting at your home station, overnight shift 8 hours between shifts is sufficient, and you get a hotel room and breakfast, taxi to the hotel if it's far or if it's on friday or saturday nights.

* 38 hrs week for shift work, 36 for night shift, leveled out on a six week period.

* 25 days paid holidays, the employee has the right to take out 4 weeks in a row in the so called main holiday period which is june-august.

* men are allowed to wear the uniform skirt or turbane and women are allowed to wear a headscarf (I always mix up the words, I mean the muslim type headscarf, not covering the face).

* employer has no right to even ask you on your job interview whether you are or intend to get pregnant.

* we have several unions to choose from and can sloppily sit down at the kitchen table with our boss and joke about this stuff over a cup of coffee

* the employer even has a company internal structure of ombudsmen, filled by coworkers that are supposed to watch over our working environment and they are granted the right by law to put a workers' protectional stop to a certain task if they see fit; we've had this for example for shunting on sites where there was railway repair going on and it was considered a risk that we may stumble over non level cable tunnels.

* We have access to fruitbaskets and coffe/tea at all resting sites

* we are provided healthcare, both preventative and rehab by our employer

* if the employer suspects, that you have an alcohole issue, they are suspending you from duty, but you get help and they try everything to get you back to the job; public health care will fill in with 80% of you salary, and your employer will still pay you 10% of the salary, while you are off duty for taking care of your drinking issue.

* per child you get 450 days off work that you can freely distribute between the two parents, 80% salary by public care, 10% by employer.

* til your kid(s) are 12 you are entitled to work up to 25% less (without salary) without the employer threatening your job or position in any way, you have the right to keep your exact job.

* if you need to stay home with sick kids, 80% public, 10% employer, no questions asked.

~~~~~~~   D I D   I   M E N T I O N   H O W   D A R N E D   P R I V I L E D G E D   I   F E E L ?   ~~~~~~

Capitalism really sucks. I realize, the above list sounds like a freaking utopia or phantasy, but it's the truth, and the utopia is actually the capitalist doctrine that some people believe in, cos it's not sustainable. Sure, we have problems in Scandinavia as well, but the good stuff prevails.

Train drivers over here get paid well, it's a job known as dead mans shoes, there's a waiting list to do any jobs on the rails, I have applied on a regular basis, the only reply I received stated that there was a lot of applicants for jobs and I would be notified of anything but to re apply again after 3 months 

Lonemathsytoothbrushthief
On 12/27/2019 at 1:48 PM, Jade Cross said:

I think as a whole, we are told that we have made alot of progress as a civilization and that life is now able to be enjoyed while keeping a balance between work and leasures, but time and again, I just dont see this as possible.

When I compare my jobs (and I have had jobs that paid more than what I earn now), the amount of time that you have to invest in working does not leave you time for leasure. And even when your busting your hide working, it doesnt even earn you enough to say that youre exceling at life. In fact, when I did 3 jobs, all 3 had 1 debt each to cover and even with that, I could never even have a stock of food supply in the house. And I didnt even live (never have really) and expensive lifestyle. It was just the basic needs and bills (food, light and water bill, rent, etc)

I dont understand how anyone can honestly say that they can make a decent living. 

What say you?

Currently watching a video on the gig economy and how it resembles much earlier types of work in capitalism before many workplace protections were in place, at the start of trade union movements. So I would say that's a very good argument that things are getting worse.

A gig job delivering food or shuttling people for what is less than minimum wage when adjusted for gas, maintenance, and depreciation. Throw in no benefits, no sick days etc.

We call these people gainfully employed now. 

Lonemathsytoothbrushthief
9 minutes ago, natsume said:

A gig job delivering food or shuttling people for what is less than minimum wage when adjusted for gas, maintenance, and depreciation. Throw in no benefits, no sick days etc.

We call these people gainfully employed now. 

Yep.

work life balance can exist, and good jobs exist, but I don't think there is a clear path to finding them. 

I have a job that I enjoy and which pays well, and leisure time, but I was fortunate in the career path I picked.  There have also been times with no balance - most of grad school, and an occasional few months to a year of insane workload. 

• 2 weeks later...

In my job it exists. I work for a very small company (1 owner, me and 1 admin person) and we manage several residential properties but now have just started some commercial conference rooms, meeting rooms and temporary offices. My boss insists that I don't over-work but there is an expectation to deal with out of hours emergencies. Where this happens, he is always offering me time off in return. I'm very much autonomous in my job so I control my hours 90% and 10% is dictated by emergencies or critical things.

For me, it works really well. 

For it to work you need to be in the right company and also have a good manager.

Be rich. That's literally it. I did enough paint jobs down in BC in the past summer to see how low upperclass wealthy people live. And I know a couple bigshot names in Canada to see how they live. When you've got excessive amounts of money, you don't have to worry about much.

There's only two ways to achieve a sort of balance in this society. Be in the upper eschalons of society through the acclimation of money, or exist on the borders outside of society and acquire what you need through self employment in something you enjoy doing.

Anything else inside the sphere of society's functions is a trap of the highest grade. And even having an excess of wealth or finding a self employment niche plays into the trap anyway.

On 1/11/2020 at 1:29 PM, Chloe88 said:

In my job it exists. I work for a very small company (1 owner, me and 1 admin person) and we manage several residential properties but now have just started some commercial conference rooms, meeting rooms and temporary offices. My boss insists that I don't over-work but there is an expectation to deal with out of hours emergencies. Where this happens, he is always offering me time off in return. I'm very much autonomous in my job so I control my hours 90% and 10% is dictated by emergencies or critical things.

For me, it works really well. 

For it to work you need to be in the right company and also have a good manager.

somewhere Karl Marx is laughing. "all you have to do is own the things that people use"

Work was supposed to be part of life. That's an illusion. Many jobs are utterly useless, and the useless don't need money. 

On 12/27/2019 at 9:36 AM, appleseedy said:

this is the myth of the trickle down effect. 

Trickle down effect only works for smaller businesses that wants to succeed but aren't greedy. While big giant corporations only wants maximum profits and nothing more, so trickle down effect does literally nothing if you're working for a big corporation.

Not a myth, but also doesn't always works.

46 minutes ago, Jusey1 said:

Trickle down effect only works for smaller businesses that wants to succeed but aren't greedy. While big giant corporations only wants maximum profits and nothing more, so trickle down effect does literally nothing if you're working for a big corporation.

Not a myth, but also doesn't always works.

when you say big, giant corporations, would you be talking about like ones that operate at an economic scale? like the ones that people who talk about economic theories only consider? theories like the idea of a trickle down economy?

good news for post scarcity, I guess because at an extremely limited scope it works great too!

J. van Deijck

I actually think I live a decent life, but that's probably due to shared household. Both me and my partner work in the same factory, however he is a team leader, so he earns 10% more than me. We decided to share our expenses in a way that he pays most of the bills and I buy food and things we need for the house. If you live alone in my country, then there might be a problem covering all the needs and bills and everything from just one salary, not only because everything is pretty expensive, but also due to really high taxes. (Last time the government took half of my salary. Half!!). 

I have a good job, but let's be honest, I earn around 15€ per hour. It's not a huge money and really, living alone would be quite problematic.

fooledbysecrecy

i work in retail and am paid over minimum wage (still nowhere near the london living wage tho), with part time contract but doing a lot of overtime so i can get by, but definitely no balance. although i think that might be achievable without the impending doom of brexit and another 5 years of tories🙄 it's unbelievable how much stress and worry and anxiety that adds to everything, to have no certainty of a future. or i suppose if you're a person who just does not worry it is possible to have the balance.

thinking back to 10+ years ago i think i actually might have had that?? sure work was always stressful at times, but perhaps being young and naive helped a bit. 😅 and i don't think circumstances were this dire back then?

Archived