Which is ruder?

Zebrafinch

Which is ruder?  

92 members have voted

1. 1. Which is ruder?

• Being expected to talk when you have a sore throat and it actually hurts to talk and you can't give an understandable answer anyway
    • Not answering when you have a sore throat and can't talk

This poll is closed to new votes

I've had a sore throat for the past few days. My mother has been trying to talk to me. 

Not sure what's so hard to grasp about the concept of a sore throat :huh:

Unless you've made it extremely clear that you do not want to utter any sounds I think it's pretty normal to expect some sort of answer when spoken to, so if you're just standing there and not giving any answer at all (no hand gestures, no nod, no attempt to communicate) you're going to seem rude. If you do all that (communicating with body language) and the person knows you're in pain and still expect you to talk then that person is rude.

Anthracite_Impreza

It should never be considered rude not to talk back; not only might someone not want to, but it can be ableist. Mutism is a thing.

On 12/27/2019 at 12:36 PM, Zebrafinch said:

I've had a sore throat for the past few days. My mother has been trying to talk to me. 

My mum does the same thing. 

I remember once telling her that as I had  a very sore throat, I didn't want to talk. 

For the following 20 minutes she repeatedly asked questions. 

6 minutes ago, festiff said:

My mum does the same thing. 

I remember once telling her that as I had  a very sore throat, I didn't want to talk. 

For the following 20 minutes she repeatedly asked questions. 

Yup. And sounds offended when l attempt to squeak out that i can't talk and then i refuse to even attempt to say anything for the rest of the day.

Expecting someone to talk

I seem to lose my voice whenever I get a cold.  Talking is the best way to prolong the experience.  Fortunately I live with a dog and a cat, so communicate with sign language until recovered.

HonoraryJedi

I lose my voice from colds a lot also. I generally have the opposite problem though: When I can't/shouldn't speak is when I somehow have the most things to say! So I go around hissing and wheezing at people a lot.

It is better to not talk though, so I think a parent should accept that after the first wheezed out explanation and not get offended.

Must get tired of pointing to your throat and making an annoyed expression. Sick is sick.

Not answering is pretty rude. You can text, gesture, give smoke signals, etc. I think i's ruder to just go silent because there are other ways to answer.

Yes, wanting the other person to speck when it hurts to is rude, but refusing to answer is worse. Find a different way to answer instead of being a jerk maybe.

(Yes, this can all be solved if the wording in the question was "talk" rather than "answer" since I think it's not rude to not talk when you have a sore throat, only to not answer.)

• 5 weeks later...
On 12/29/2019 at 12:44 PM, Mz Terry said:

I seem to lose my voice whenever I get a cold.  Talking is the best way to prolong the experience.  Fortunately I live with a dog and a cat, so communicate with sign language until recovered.

On 1/3/2020 at 1:22 PM, HonoraryJedi said:

I lose my voice from colds a lot also

Are these a thing where you live? Because 10/10 would recommend.

71XDJoZTnvL._SX466_.jpg

It’s rude if they know you have a sore throat and it’s rude if you don’t answer someone that doesn’t know.

Janus the Fox

I feel as though this rudeness situation should be avoided by using another form of communication.

• 3 weeks later...
abandoned-account

Reminds me of an experience I once had in middle school. I lost my ability to speak for a week, due to something jammed in my throat. People didn’t understand though and thought I was faking it or some shit, including the teachers. I eventually got myself to hurl up the blockage (it was a blob of mucus with food bits in it) by sticking the smaller end of a spoon down my throat because my mom’s spouse said he would find a way to make me talk again otherwise.

• 10 months later...

@Zebrafinch

This poll is being locked and moved to the read only Census archive for it's respective year. As part of ongoing Census organisation, and in an attempt to keep the demographics of the polls current with the active user base at the time, the polls will last for one year from now on. However, members are allowed and even encouraged to restart new polls similar to the archived ones if they like them.

iff, Census Forum Moderator

Archived