Um..hello (kinda shy and have some questions

Becca :)

Hi, I’m Becca. I am still questioning who I am but I heard about AVEN so I was hoping to get some answers from anyone I can talk to about this. I identify as asexual but I’m too scared to tell my family or friends. If anyone would like to talk and give some advice I would appreciate it. I’ll be doing some more research as I read the resources on this site, but wanted to introduce myself :)

Welcome! Don't worry , a lot of people are scared to tell family and friends. It absolutely isn't something that is important unless it is something you absolutely want to do. I haven't told anyone. Hopefully your research will be fruitful 🙂

1 hour ago, Becca :) said:

Hi, I’m Becca. I am still questioning who I am but I heard about AVEN so I was hoping to get some answers from anyone I can talk to about this. I identify as asexual but I’m too scared to tell my family or friends. If anyone would like to talk and give some advice I would appreciate it. I’ll be doing some more research as I read the resources on this site, but wanted to introduce myself :)

Hello! I was new not too long ago, at least it doesn't feel so long. There's a lot of great information within this community! People are generally very supportive and helpful. I also haven't told anyone in my life, but I'm starting to get the impression my behaviors are giving it away lol. Best of luck!

Hello, my name is Kelsey. I saw Becca's post and it sounded so similar to me. I'm still figuring out who I am as well but at this point I identify as heteroromantic asexual. I haven't told my family or friends either. I'm really happy to have found this website. :)

23 minutes ago, kp9435283 said:

Hello, my name is Kelsey. I saw Becca's post and it sounded so similar to me. I'm still figuring out who I am as well but at this point I identify as heteroromantic asexual. I haven't told my family or friends either. I'm really happy to have found this website. :)

In the same exact boat. Heteroromantic Asexual definitely seems to be a pretty solid label, at least for me. 

Hey Becca.

Welcome to Aven.

As is tradition for new arrivals, here is a delicious cake:

1200px-Christmas_cake_(6954064737).jpg

(Hmmm this cake looks a bit dry, and probably needs more pineapple or pear juice soaked into it....)

If you have questions, about the forum, about asexuality, or about talking to family, feel free to post them here in the thread, or elsewhere in the forum.

The Community is really helpful and will answer you as best you can.

As for telling your family/friends....

Unlike many other orientations, Asexuality is one where you can (for the most part) get away with just never mentioning it to people, if you choose to. There is no requirement/pressure to tell people about it, and shout it from the rooftops if you don't want to.

Welcome! You don’t have to tell anyone if you don’t feel up for it. If you feel comfortable telling someone then we can help you figure out how to explain it and find resources. I’d recommend taking the time to get more comfortable with your own identity, and connect with the community more before then. It can really help your confidence to have people and resources backing you up :) 

chocolate-chocolate+cake.jpg

Welcome! As others have said here, this is no one's business but yours, and it isn't something you should feel has to be communicated if you don't want to. Take time to do some reading, feel more comfortable, find things that resonate with you and become more comfortable in your own understanding of yourself. From that, everything else will come :D

Archived