Alternative demi flag finds bc the current designs are problematic

DoubleATripleA

DoubleATripleA

I don't know if you read a response that was made, in an edit for one of the links you posted, against the reasoning for changing it:
https://cockyroaches.tumblr.com/post/189397066698/fuckyeahasexual-apersnicketylemon

I'm not really in the know for this stuff, I just thought to bring it up.
I haven't really thought too much about flags, I'm not even entirely sure where people use them.

I don’t think it’s an issue, it’s not like whoever made the flag put a black triangle on it to be homophobic towards lesbians. The triangle used by the Nazis was an upside down triangle anyways.

This in no way shape or form true and many people have rightfully refuted it. A triangle turns 90 degrees (left OR right) has in no way shape or form any symbolism/reference to Nazi germany symbols. They used triangles turned 180 degrees (upside down). Just because they changed the orientation of the triangle DOES NOT MEAN they magically, suddenly, have a copyright/negative influence on all triangles changed even to the slightest degree. 

dude if your understanding of the world comes from tumblr, then what do you understand? if there is a problem that only exists on tumblr then there isn't a problem. please get your fingers of what should or shouldn't out of other peoples' pies. mer xmas.

Okay so wait....

Like I am no expert, but before we all hop on the train of "No one is offended by that," ... like I've seen conversations like that before, and it ended up being a case of the poster just not knowing people who would be offended, and had said something that was actually pretty hurtful to a particular group.

I get that Nazi's don't get to perma-trademark all symbols they ever used, but can we just double check that we are actually sure of this "Black triangle totally fine" assertion?

EDIT:

Nevermind. Read through SS's link. All good.

Moving this from TGA to PPS, Skycaptain moderator PPS 

DoubleATripleA
13 hours ago, Carson:) said:

I don’t think it’s an issue, it’s not like whoever made the flag put a black triangle on it to be homophobic towards lesbians. The triangle used by the Nazis was an upside down triangle anyways.

it's still a black triangle

Here is the real problem here, OP. If you were to try to create a flag, a symbolism, a piece of art, whatever, to represent an idea (not necessarily sexuality... it could be literally anything, including a fictional character), there will be always someone who is going to find that thing offensive or problematic over the most stupid reason.

People these days are very sensitive. There will be always someone who is going to be offended by it because of some reason.

It is very obvious that nobody here looks or thinks about the demi flag in that way. If anyone is doing that, it's the people in those Tumblr spaces. That is called projection.

This is by far the only time this happening.

Remember the "allosexual" nontroversy several years ago? When AVEN was trying to come up with a term that encompasses everyone who do expierence sexual attraction... because apparently some people claimed the term "sexuals" was offensive towards black people (especially women) because how oversexualized they are by the society or some shit.

No matter what term did AVEN offer, they still found it to be offensive/problematic.

AVEN came up with the "Allosexuals" term but people from Tumblr found that offensive too because in french, allosexual was a slur/insult towards the LGBT+ Community (similar to how "queer" was).

Spoiler

And yes, the whole "allosexual is an insult" was apparently true because I have have a friend who is from France who confirmed that for me.

To me, all of this looks like a shitty attempt by them to silence AVEN and it's people, to tell us that we don't fucking matter.

DoubleATripleA
8 hours ago, nineGardens said:

Okay so wait....

Like I am no expert, but before we all hop on the train of "No one is offended by that," ... like I've seen conversations like that before, and it ended up being a case of the poster just not knowing people who would be offended, and had said something that was actually pretty hurtful to a particular group.

I get that Nazi's don't get to perma-trademark all symbols they ever used, but can we just double check that we are actually sure of this "Black triangle totally fine" assertion?

EDIT:

Nevermind. Read through SS's link. All good.

Well it didn't just affect lesbians but trans men as well as those who were deemed 'anti-social' so maybe autistic people, etc.

DoubleATripleA
1 minute ago, HikaruBG said:

Here is the real problem here, OP. If you were to try to create a flag, a symbolism, a piece of art, whatever, to represent an idea (not necessarily sexuality... it could be literally anything, including a fictional character), there will be always someone who is going to find that thing offensive or problematic over the most stupid reason.

Peoplethese days are very sensitive. There will be always someone who is going to be offended by it because of some reason.

It is very obvious that nobody here looks or thinks about the demi flag in that way. If anyone is doing that, it's the people in those Tumblr spaces. That is called projection.

Thisis by far the only time this happening.

Remember the "allosexual" nontroversy several years ago? When AVEN was trying to come up with a term that encompasses everyone who do expierence sexual attraction... because apparently some people claimed the term "sexuals" was offensive towards black people (especially women) because how oversexualized they are by the society or some shit.

No matter what term did AVEN offer, they still found it to be offensive/problematic.

AVEN came up with the "Allosexuals" but people from Tumblr that found offensive too because in french, allosexual was a slur/insult towards the LGBT+ Community (similar to how "queer" was).

Hide contents

And yes, the whole "allosexual is an insult" was apparently true because I have have a friend who is from France who confirmed that for me.

To me, all of this looks like a shitty attempt by them to silence AVEN and it's people, to tell us that we don't fucking matter.

I agree with you on this.

DoubleATripleA
9 hours ago, Chuck_Shurley said:

This is the definition of being over dramatic is. Looking for things that are not there. Nobody thinks that. Only people who want to start shit are. 

It's not being over dramatic. You only think that because you don't think it's a big deal, when it is. I think it's best we make jewish and LGBT demi people comfortable by not featuring symbolism that was anti semetic and homophobic. The black triangle is in plain sight. Also many LGBT people think this is problematic. Why do you think these people would be making alternative versions of these flags? No one is making alternatives to the grey flags bc it's not problematic. The lesbian flag was problematic and the demi flags are just as if not more problematic. 

Nazi's don't have a trademark on black triangles. If the demi flag was turned upside down (so 180 degrees from a "right side up" triangle), then yes, I can see there being a problem. But it's not. It's a black triangle turned to the right 90 degrees.  I'm saying this as someone who has Sephardic Jewish ancestors. 

Wikipedia by itself has almost 10 different meanings behind a black triangle in general (all ranging from disease to aliens to pollution to lesbians and feminists standing together in solidatary). 

36 minutes ago, DoubleATripleA said:

It's not being over dramatic. You only think that because you don't think it's a big deal, when it is. I think it's best we make jewish and LGBT demi people comfortable by not featuring symbolism that was anti semetic and homophobic. The black triangle is in plain sight. Also many LGBT people think this is problematic. Why do you think these people would be making alternative versions of these flags? No one is making alternatives to the grey flags bc it's not problematic. The lesbian flag was problematic and the demi flags are just as if not more problematic. 

get a problem that exists in any way outside of tumblr and you will have a problem that you can argue this with.

1 hour ago, DoubleATripleA said:

it's still a black triangle

So then should we ban black triangles period? In books? In movies? In art? 

It is being ridiculous, everything has different meanings and here it does.

There is a difference between learning from the past and being stuck in it.

I dont like the word cis as it has been used for negative conotations around me but I dont go and comment to everyone "Hey we cant use cis, it should be something else." its their business and they see it as something neutral while I dont but I am not gonna go after a whole community because of it. Dont like it then move on. 

Your like an English teacher whose like the drapes are blue to represent his sadness when the writer just thought blue goes with everything.

No, the demi flag doesn't need to be changed. Like I said, noone here and especially demisexuals who do use it, look at the flag as some sort of secret anti-sematic and homophobic message.

To quote @Chuck_Shurley :

Looking for things that are not there. Nobody thinks that. Only people who want to start shit are. 

I mean, a lot of extremist christians find the Rainbow flag offensive (I'm looking at you, NIFL) because "but my non-existent god owns the rainbow because he created it". Do you see the LGBT+ community giving up on using the rainbow flag because of that? No, even the opposite - they will keep using the Rainbow flag out of spite just to piss off extremist christians.

And yet, this is the same goddamn logic Tumblrs and SJW people use to justify their dislike over the demi flag because "Nazi".

This is so petty.

Most of these people don't even use the flag.

SJWs has always being overly sensitive - attacking any media and being hypocritical in general. They criticizes TV Shows, movies, video games, art, ect., when in reality they never cared and for going in their way to watch/buy/play/enjoy/ect. it for themselves.

Let's just outright ban triangles. While we're at it, may as well ban speaking German, since the Nazi's spoke that as well. As a matter of fact let's just ban every little thing, every little polygon, colour etc since some group in history may have had something similar looking that they used as some sort of symbol

On ‎12‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 10:19 AM, DoubleATripleA said:

So I can't read the links because of computer security bs, but from what I've read in the comments, a lot of it is mostly people disliking how a symbol is taken from a group, turned bad, and now refusing to see it as anything other than bad. Like the frog meme that was an alt right joke and some people still find offensive. The swastika, for example, is a symbol they stole and polluted and now Americans find it offensive whenever it's used, even when religions who have used it long before Hitler was born are still using it. Yeah, it's a bit weird for me to see tilted swastikas on Japanese maps (they're not the diamond shape but squared with the flat edges pointing up, down, left, and right), but they don't mean it like Americans interpret it as. 

Are we going to check every culture for anything that can be seen as offensive? Because there's probably a very small pool of that. 

Also, at a certain point, you need to decide if something is polluted beyond repair or worth reclaiming. Like slurs or stereotypes or symbols. Are triangles off limits because of the Illuminati? Are peace signs an upside down cross with the arms hammered down? (legit an argument I've seen). Do you have to avoid the number 4, 6, 7, 13, etc. etc.? Do extremists keep you from using labels like feminism, atheism, Christian, etc.? What's worth looking past the bad press and fighting to prove yourself through? 

Lonemathsytoothbrushthief

Sideways black triangles don't mean anything to do with the nazis. Even if they did, I'm trans masc and so when I hear "lesbians only" my eyebrows shoot right up.

• 1 year later...
ShyAegoEntity

I'm seeing fresh posts about this on tumblr and I would like to say that this topic has brought out all the aphobes, albeists and exclusionists (especially demi-exclusionists). The problem that I have with this argument is that it is offensive to people who identify on the asexual spectrum who ALSO identify with, or are a part of communities who the na*zis labelled as 'anti-social' and it wasn't just lesbians, but disabled and mentally ill people as well. So are you saying that I am not allowed to use the demi flag, even though I identify as demi, AS WELL AS disabled and mentally ill? There is this whole argument on tumblr right now about that 'only those who were affected by the label should be allowed to use it' which ironically, are being made by exclusionists to hide behind and shield their bigoted views against asexuals and demisexuals but the thing is, lesbians were not the only minority labelled with the black triangle as I have mentioned above. I find this whole topic insensitive and uncalled for. This is the equivalent of me (for hypothetical sake) pointing at one of the other pride flags that has pink in it and saying, "oh look! That pink is the same shade of pink as the Jewish pink triangle, therefore, that pride flag is antisemitic and pro na*zi!" Because this is exactly what is happening with the demisexual flag and it is really exposing the exclusionism againt demisexuals within our own community. 

This thread has been inactive for a long time and is now being locked. If anyone would like to discuss the topic further, feel free to start a new tread.

Iam9man

PPS Moderator

Archived