Ask a German

Homer

1 hour ago, Ortac said:

Hey, I live really close to a picturesque genuine medieval town! 8)

But it's not in Germany though, so I guess it's kind of irrelevant. :(

You could always start a new culture thread, dedicated to La France?

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Rhaenys said:

Is the Deutsche Bahn really that horrid?

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣  🥳  (I'll leave the real answer to  s o m e o n e   e l s e  though...)

• Like 1
Guest xAveryx
3 hours ago, Rhaenys said:

I would say 60% of my train rides with the DB were delayed🙄 I'm travel by train really often and also noticed that summer is worse than winter..

19 hours ago, Rhaenys said:

It depends on your standards really. It's cheap compared to British trains but its rails and trains are in a bad way due to a continuous lack of funding.
I think it's okay. Sometimes the delays aren't their fault because there people or animals on the tracks or somebody took their life. Sadly there are far too many suicides. You need to plan well, know where to find the cheap tickets and have a bit of patience.
If your car breaks down that's just bad luck and you will arrive much much later, if at all. If your train stops working, you can use another one and if you don't reach your destination by the end of the day, Deutsche Bahn pays for your hotel.

• Like 1

It mostly sepends on where you're going and when. The Hamburg - Cologne service is particularly terrible and no fun to work on. Add a Friday or Sunday to the mix and kaboom. Other than that, it mostly depends on external circumstances, just like @Ennis said. Also, an astonishing amount of delays is caused by people and their idiocy.

1 minute ago, Homer said:

people and their idiocy.

"But I want to smoke for 10 minutes at every single station" 🙄

• Like 1

I may or may not enjoy leaving people behind who went for a smoke :ph34r:

• Like 5
31 minutes ago, Homer said:

I may or may not enjoy leaving people behind who went for a smoke :ph34r:

We did that to a regular smoker on our service... she regularly delayed the departure by half a minute or so. Haven't seen her lately though, since July last year it's officially forbidden to smoke on platforms.

• Like 1
On 1/30/2020 at 4:56 AM, Rhaenys said:

I have literally not once gotten my reserved seat 😂 I don't know why I keep trying. AC broken in only my carriage, another train got cancelled and they just remove all reservations, I lose all hope of my actual train ever coming and take one that was supposed to be two hours later, ....

NOT ONCE

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/25/2020 at 12:28 PM, Luftschlosseule said:

Homer, how do you call Berliner? Krapfen?

I missed that question! I'm from Mecklenburg, so it's "Berliner".

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Homer said:

I missed that question! I'm from Mecklenburg, so it's "Berliner".

So.... can I call a Mecklenburger "Donut" ? 🤔

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/16/2020 at 12:26 AM, thyristor said:

So.... can I call a Mecklenburger "Donut" ? 🤔

Unlike a "Berliner", nobody will know what you're talking about but... sure...

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
On 12/26/2019 at 10:42 AM, Piotrek said:

Continuing with the theme of sports, what is it with Germans and team sports? I swear whichever one you look at,  a German team (national and/or club) is either at the top or close to it. Football, volleyball, handball, hockey (mostly field and indoor, but ice is strong too), basketball... 

Surprisingly, not that good at the rugby, though. They seem like a nation with a lot of big people. What sport do they do besides football GKs and volleyball? Bobsled? Rowing? (Two Olympic sports I'm sure they're good at.)

Yeah rugby is not really a thing over here. There are two "hotspots" (which are better described as "lukewarmspots" but they're the where it's at when it comes to rugby: Hanover and Heidelberg.)

German teams have been great at rowing for ages. Same goes for winter sports. The latter isn't a thing whene I live because there are no mountains, but I read that 90% of Europe's luge courses are located in Germany. Our women once had a streak going where one of them would win every single world cup race for 13 years straight; 105 races in total. Ski jumping seems to be on the rise again as well. Biathlon has been a strong suit for ages.

When it comes to team sports, our handball league is the best you'll find on the planet. Spain has three or four really really good clubs and that's it, but even a German mid-table team will give any team from other countries a good run for their money. (Ice) hockey has made a huge recovery from being shit to actually more than decent (but again, that's more of a local thing than spread all over the country). Field hockey is the same, clubs and the national team are killing it but nobody gives a shit :D We used to have great figure skaters but that's not something I follow at all. When it comes to individual sports like tennis, we'll have like one or two good ones, which gets people interested for a while... and then they retire and the sport kind of falls asleep. In general we're better at team stuff than, say, athletics.

• Like 1

Does anyone else have the slightest chance of beating Germans in a drinking contest, or do those who dare challenge them just do it as an excuse to drink a lot of beer?

I'm not implying that all or even the majority of Germans are heavy drinkers, but as for those who can really knock it back, I dare anyone else to try going up against them. 😁

6 hours ago, Jon A. said:

Does anyone else have the slightest chance of beating Germans in a drinking contest, or do those who dare challenge them just do it as an excuse to drink a lot of beer?

I'm not implying that all or even the majority of Germans are heavy drinkers, but as for those who can really knock it back, I dare anyone else to try going up against them. 😁

I'm sure we Brits can raise a team 😋😋

Some Eastern European folks have a shot here, too. Pun intended :D

• Like 1
11 hours ago, Homer said:

Yeah rugby is not really a thing over here. There are two "hotspots" (which are better described as "lukewarmspots" but they're the where it's at when it comes to rugby: Hanover and Heidelberg.

Actually, Germany came pretty close to qualifying to last year's World Cup (I'm talking about rugby union), so it's not like they actually suck that bad, especially given how few spots there are left to fill through the qualification process.

Im not sure how much people know how the states work here in the US but I have alwags been curious! How do the states work in Germany? How many are there?  

9 hours ago, Piotrek said:

Actually, Germany came pretty close to qualifying to last year's World Cup (I'm talking about rugby union), so it's not like they actually suck that bad, especially given how few spots there are left to fill through the qualification process.

I didn't even know that! My former French teacher used to coach our local amateur rugby team and I went to a game once. Looked like a Cardiff City match :P Rugby is much easier to follow on TV than on an amateur level where spectators aren't elevated compared to the pitch. 

On 3/30/2020 at 6:11 AM, Piotrek said:

Do you know how many 'mercenaries' were in that team? I do not. Much respect if it was all home grown. I think we Canadians even still have a few 'poaches' who learned the game in other countries (most nations do these days, to be fair ... it's probably New Zealand and Fiji's greatest export).

Handball is my new favourite game, though. With rugby and basketball being my favs, it seems to make sense. :)

12 hours ago, robnrdbrd said:

Do you know how many 'mercenaries' were in that team?

Good question. I never checked. I watched highlights of the recent world cup on YT as it was unfolding and I was somewhat disappointed to find out some of the teams used "mercenaries" to such an extent.

8 hours ago, Piotrek said:

Good question. I never checked. I watched highlights of the recent world cup on YT as it was unfolding and I was somewhat disappointed to find out some of the teams used "mercenaries" to such an extent.

Italy and Japan are some of the heaviest users because of their domestic pro leagues. Rule is, if you've lived in a country for three years and not played for your home country, can can represent that one. Also allows people whose parents/grandparents came from that country (I don't agree with that one). Samoa and Tonga benefit from that one - they have some great athletes, but there are more skilled ones who grew up / were trained in New Zealand. I think Samoa's World Cup team was half Kiwi-born/raised.

As for Germany, most of these look domestic: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Germany_national_rugby_union_team#Squad 

• 8 months later...

@Homer

I'm currently recording an audio version of a book chapter about Hansa (the union of cities, not the football club :D ) and the town of Goslar came up. I immediately remembered that you mentioned it in this thread. Another one mentioned is Stralsund and it turns out that my local travel agency offers a one-day trip there.

Just now, Piotrek said:

@Homer

I'm currently recording an audio version of a book chapter about Hansa (the union of cities, not the football club :D ) and the town of Goslar came up. I immediately remembered that you mentioned it in this thread. Another one mentioned is Stralsund and it turns out that my local travel agency offers a one-day trip there.

You cannot go wrong either way. If you like the coast, go to Stralsund. If you like half-timbered houses, Goslar has you covered and then some. They're both great, but in different ways.

• Like 1
22 minutes ago, Homer said:

So that's what they're called in English. Indeed, I like those. There are some examples in my city too.

Also,Goslar is in a mountainous region, if I understand correctly, so the views must be great regardless of the buildings.

2 minutes ago, ben8884 said:

Do Germans really like asparagus?

I know people who hate it, but if you ask me... asparagus FTW

1 minute ago, Piotrek said:

Also,Goslar is in a mountainous region, so the views must be great regardless of the buildings.

It's more on the outskirts of the mountainous region (the mountain range is called Harz). Goslar isn't flat, but it also isn't super spectacular in that regard.