What do you find weird about Canadians?

Snao Cone

20 minutes ago, Crazy Cat Lady said:

And "kay-beck"

That's what I meant by keh-beck, which my phone autocorrected and I had to change it back :P

2 hours ago, CBC said:

As a lifelong Ontarian, I've never been anywhere in the province that didn't have it. Definitely a thing everywhere here as well.

Oh whoa, I didn't know that! I mean, I assumed English was fairly prevalent, but not that much. Interesting.

I know some people from the GTA who didn't know about bagged milk lol. I always thought it was a thing all over there, glad to know I was wrong to think otherwise. 

There is a lot of French here and you'd assume it's the dominant language by just looking at it since all the signs and everything are in French. But most people use English day-to-day and probably a solid 80% of people here can speak English fluently and won't have a problem using it if they see you struggling with French. Very different off the island though.

1 hour ago, Duke Memphis said:

I was talking about how there are multiple valid pronunciations of "Quebec".

Ahhh. Well because of my French upbringing, I tend to use the French pronunciations. Have to force myself to pronounce it in English. I'd say any pronunciation is right, honestly. It kinda boils down to a bastardization of French because of the accent é lol. I have yet to hear anyone correct anyone else on the pronunciation of Quebec.

Just now, CBC said:

That's... really bizarre. I've lived in several parts of the GTA, or just outside it, my entire nearly-35 years. Bagged milk is in literally every grocery store and most convenience stores.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Yeah I don't know either. Whenever we went to Toronto/Mississauga, we'd see some there. 

5 minutes ago, CBC said:

Yeah I lived in Mississauga for nearly a year. Spent 24 years rurally in the Oshawa area and another one right in Oshawa, and about nine in Barrie, which is where I am now... and I'm smug that Barrie isn't technically part of the GTA. -_- 

Barrie! I've got a bunch of family out there. 

8 minutes ago, CBC said:

My home of choice. :) Not born here, but made it home. I'm not even sure why I love it so much haha, it's just a random city. I love living near the lake though, and it feels more... northerly... than Toronto does.

I barely remember Barrie but yeah, anything not metropolitan city is great. Montreal's big but doesn't feel very big. We've got some building restrictions that prevents huge skyscrapers. I went from suburbs to small college town to city borough all on the island. 

I actually found out recently why bagged milk is a Thing back east because CBC Radio did some research into it for their Cost of Living programme. It's an interesting read/listen, but the short answer? Blame the metric system.

https://www.cbc.ca/radio/costofliving/we-answer-your-burning-questions-about-things-like-milk-bags-tariffs-condo-insurance-and-printer-cartridges-1.5409407/here-s-why-milk-comes-in-bags-in-parts-of-canada-1.5409420

I find it interesting because I do remember seeing bagged milk when I was a child in Victoria, but that had to have been 25+ years ago... ever since the mid-90s we've only had 4L jugs out here.

1 hour ago, MetricalSky said:

I find it interesting because I do remember seeing bagged milk when I was a child in Victoria, but that had to have been 25+ years ago... ever since the mid-90s we've only had 4L jugs out here.

I remember seeing milk bags in Victoria back to about 1999. (Not that I lived there; I was just a frequent visitor for a while.)

(Also, to be clear, I mean dairy milk made for human consumption contained within plastic bags, and not, you know..."milk bags".)

2 hours ago, Snao Cone said:

I remember seeing milk bags in Victoria back to about 1999. (Not that I lived there; I was just a frequent visitor for a while.)

(Also, to be clear, I mean dairy milk made for human consumption contained within plastic bags, and not, you know..."milk bags".)

As if we'd have thought anything else 😋😋

What am I supposed to do with 4 litres of milk?! Okay now that's officially weird.

19 minutes ago, Homer said:

What am I supposed to do with 4 litres of milk?! Okay now that's officially weird.

Pour it into bowls of breakfast cereal every morning like a normal human. It's good for two weeks. Plenty of time to consume that much milk, even as one person (if you eat breakfast cereal regularly). 

When I was growing up, my family of five consumed an average of four of those jugs (again, dairy milk containers) every week. When I helped bring the groceries in from the car, I could carry all four at once by positioning the handles to face each other so I could hold onto two per hand.

26 minutes ago, Homer said:

Oh, I don't have an issue there. I drink a lot of milk and can easily go through a 4L jug in four days.

I usually buy my milk in one gallon jugs, which is roughly the same amount. Like Snao says, for me it's usually not hard to use it up before it would go bad.

The fact that people have been killed over maple syrup and that the whole Great Canadian maple syrup heist.

Here I thought people killing people for their phones was bad.

If it's high quality syrup, I could probably understand the violence, but murder?

I remember seeing rumours about turning that maple syrup heist into a movie. I wonder what ever happened to them 🤣

I am reminded of the maple syrup flavored tea I got in Montreal a couple of years ago. :) 

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Arodash said:

Im from Maine

Depending on precisely where you are in Maine, you may have Canadians neighbors to the west as well as the north, and that would also be true for the state of New York (sorry, I am not suggesting that you didn't know that, because I am sure you do, but...)... it does lead me on to an interesting fact: Residents of Detroit have Canadian neighbors to the SOUTH.

I have Canadian neighbors to the south (their house is down the street from me). :P 

There are parts of Canada that are farther south than parts of California (just barely).

the great acescape

I have a few Canadian friends and I can remember with starkness the time one of them told me that while they were visiting friends in the U.S., they saw a commercial for a private hospital and thought it was some type of joke

I suppose that's more of an indictment of America's weirdness than it is for Canada.

10 hours ago, Arodash said:

3. Poutine..... why?

How can you even ask this question 😧

2 minutes ago, Arodash said:

Because I love my Canadian neighbors and love poking fun at them. Hehehehe

You clearly know how to get a reaction :P

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/25/2020 at 3:04 AM, CBC said:

I'm a terrible Canadian. Maple syrup is wonderful and all, but goddamn if I don't love that artificially-flavoured pancake syrup crap. 😍

Aunt Jemima Butter Flavoured is class-a drugs in liquid, ingestable form!!!   

I do love the real stuff as well, but the taste can vary.

On 1/16/2020 at 12:08 PM, Scribbles said:

I find this charming, more than anything.

Tomorrow

Tom-ah-row vs Tom-ore-row

Sorry

sah-ree vs sore-e 

Heard it on Anne with an E, then was so happy to hear it when I visited Canada last summer!

(Also here in Montana we joke we're Diet Canada.)

"Tuh-more-uh" for me, I think. "Tuh-more-ow" if I think about it. I definitely say "sore-ee" though. Another distinguishing one is how people say "Toronto".  I also say "Traw-na" a lot, or "Tur-on-oh". I think most outsiders say Tor-on-to. :)

My dad says things like "ruff" (roof) and "tor" (tour).  I come from central Ontario where it took until adulthood to realize "pertineer" wasn't a word (I never used it, but LOTS of family do), to describe that you are "pretty near" completing / doing / etc. something.

Archived