What do you find weird about Canadians?

Snao Cone

Another thing I find weird about Canadians: How much cold they can handle. I mean, a lot of them choose to live and stay in Canada, which ranges from pretty far north to way too freaking north. It's weird how they can tolerate the sub-zero temperatures.

Back to Avalon

I know, right? I like Canada, but I don't think I'd want to be there in the winter. I've often thought that I wouldn't want to be in Minnesota, North Dakota, or Montana during the winter, so why would I want to be north of those places?

1 hour ago, Duke Memphis said:

Another thing I find weird about Canadians: How much cold they can handle. I mean, a lot of them choose to live and stay in Canada, which ranges from pretty far north to way too freaking north. It's weird how they can tolerate the sub-zero temperatures.

1 hour ago, Back to Avalon said:

I know, right? I like Canada, but I don't think I'd want to be there in the winter. I've often thought that I wouldn't want to be in Minnesota, North Dakota, or Montana during the winter, so why would I want to be north of those places?

I was under the impression that most of the Midwest had actual winters. Do you folks get snow every year, and does it stick around for longer than a couple weeks?

(oh, and not many people live in the way-too-freaking-north part of Canada...but if I did, what would drive me insane would not be the winter temperatures, but the winter daylight)

7 hours ago, Duke Memphis said:

How much cold they can handle.

I only truly realized my tolerance during a "major" snowfall experienced in Edinburgh Scotland. 

I believe it was a 5cm snowfall, which literally shut down the motorway we were on. 

I was in downtown Edinburgh with a sweater, getting people looking at me like I was nuts not understanding why.

Everyone had wool hats, scarves, gloves etc. 

It was -1 or so, which to me is extremely mild winter weather. 

Mind you I think it's all in the type of cold, too. 

I have experienced cold in the Philippines that at 10 degrees, went to your bones. 

I think the older I get however, the more my tolerance for it drops. 

High winds and cold? No thanks. I no longer can handle and am cursing any second am outside in it. 

Probably why am planning moving away from it all. Yes. I have reached that age range. 

I had that when I was visiting Malta in December. One day temp "dropped" from 18 C to 11 or so. Still shirt weather for elephants :D but people around me were all covered in beanies and scarves and coats. 

Canadian winter has moved up on my to-do list quite a bit.

23 minutes ago, CBC said:

I'd love to see those people visit Canada when it's -35°C.

click

Back to Avalon
16 hours ago, Snao Cone said:

I was under the impression that most of the Midwest had actual winters. Do you folks get snow every year, and does it stick around for longer than a couple weeks?

It depends on where you are. Cities on the Great Lakes, like Cleveland, Chicago, and Buffalo, get feet of snow. My mother has a friend who lives in one of the Dakotas, and she's had a few feet of snow already this season. Here in southern Ohio, we've had snow already, a couple of inches that stayed for a few days. I'm sure we'll get more by spring. It might stay for weeks if the temperature stays below freezing that long, but that's somewhat unlikely. Besides, it will melt a bit if it's in direct sun, even if the temperature is 30ish. I'll keep you posted if you're really interested in our snow, Snao. :) Right now it's about 60F, unseasonably warm. 

On 12/29/2019 at 12:53 PM, CBC said:

I'd love to see those people visit Canada when it's -35°C. (Obvs that's not the norm for winter, but it happens sometimes.)

This reminds of a creepypasta set in Sasketchwan that I heard some years ago. It started with some pretty discouraging descriptions of what life is like at -40C

My flight to Toronto didn't even have to take off from Europe before I heard the stereotypical So-rry a dozen of times.

On 12/29/2019 at 12:49 PM, Homer said:

I had that when I was visiting Malta in December. One day temp "dropped" from 18 C to 11 or so. Still shirt weather for elephants :D but people around me were all covered in beanies and scarves and coats. 

Canadian winter has moved up on my to-do list quite a bit.

It's almost exactly 10 years ago that the temperature dropped below -30 degrees Celsius for some weeks in the Swedish provinces of Jämtland and Härjedalen. Some days it even was below -40 degrees.

Then one day it was only -14 and it suddently felt very warm and comfy.🙃

32 minutes ago, Andrea KF said:

My flight to Toronto didn't even have to take off from Europe before I heard the stereotypical So-rry a dozen of times.

Hahaha. 

Its night and day when you go from one airport to another.

Leaving Toronto to New Jersey (man passes a clearly remarked line after staff tell crowd to wait):

(Staff approaching traveler): "Excuse me sir. If you don't mind. Please stand behind line." I expected a sorry, but was left hanging. 

Similar situation in Newark at their airport. Overzealous passenger trying to cut past a clearly marked no entry zone.

(Employee aggressively and rapidly approaches person)

"Stand back! BEHIND that line! BEHIND!!"

I remember in Thailand a security guard grabbed for his handcuffs after an Indian woman playfully stepped forward twice after being told to step back (she was trying to talk to relatives  still awaiting screening right behind a passport screening agent and got too close for their liking).

Only in Canada. 

Even terrorists can't hate us enough to want to harm us.

It is it we are so big they would run out of gas trying to find a populated city and give up and call it a day.

24 minutes ago, Perspektiv said:

It is it we are so big they would run out of gas trying to find a populated city and give up and call it a day.

I'm sorta wondering if you guys will have an epic version of milk crate guy or trolley guy.

3 hours ago, Andrea KF said:

No joke, my first instinct to this was to apologize. 

Is a Canadian's favorite movie Toy Sorry?

1 minute ago, CBC said:

Fixed that spelling for ya. ;)

qycpdiljdni31.jpg

Canada- Where they spell words with more letters than necessary and then some.

@Homer Of course the spelling thing was pointed out further by a German. The main language there is different, so it makes sense that you'd have your take on the whole English spelling thing. Relatively neutral ground.

2 hours ago, ManicPixieDreamFreeAgent said:

The buzz surrounding the WJC

I feel like apologizing for this too. My sister was very much into the World Juniors when she was, you know, around the age of the players, but she was pretty boy crazy on top of the sport itself. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/25/2019 at 8:26 AM, scarletlatitude said:

Can I ask a question instead? 

How prevalent are moose really? The internet makes it seem like everyone has moose in their yards. 

I have seen a fair number of moose in my life here, though yeah if you just live in a city all the time you won't see any. I used to go to our family cabin a lot as a kid which was in a big wetland area, so we would frequently see moose there. I also had a job up in the Yukon where for part of it we did wildlife surveys, and I would literally be flown around in a helicopter for the sole purpose of pointing out moose. They are also a problem in Newfoundland in that it is a fairly small island with a large moose population, and a lot of poorly lit and narrow highways so there are relatively frequent car accidents involving moose. And then there is this great headline that came out of B.C:

https://nationalpost.com/news/canada/b-c-woman-hits-moose-on-way-to-visit-sister-who-hit-moose

I would say there can still be a fair amount of wildlife in the cities here though depending where you are. I live in Calgary, Alberta, and we have some very large natural parks within the city, so you can see deer and coyotes and more right in the city. My dad once hit a deer on a main highway in the middle of the city. Also had a black bear somehow run into a hospital at one point. We've had cougar warnings at the largest natural park in the city. Bobcats and coyotes will sometimes kill people's pets here if you live near some of these parks. People also seem surprised by the amount of rabbits we have here and their size. They are everywhere and it is fun to watch their fur change colour in fall and spring. 

Crazy Cat Lady

Have only (currently) read through page 1 of this thread. But, though I'd comment on a couple of things...

RCMP are the police force in rural areas, at least in Saskatchewan and Alberta, where I've lived. As a couple of people have mentioned, though, you don't often see them in their red dress uniforms.

I live in a large city in Alberta, but grew up in a rural area in Sask, but I've never seen a moose outside of a zoo. In the last 10-15 years, I've heard of a few years where there have been moose nearby to the small town I grew up in, but sadly, I've never seen one in the wild.

Someone asked about snow. That really depends on where in the country you are, and (of course), the time of year. I believe Vancouver/Victoria in BC rarely see snow. There was a lot more snow when I was growing up in the 70s and 80s, overall. Though, again, I live in a city in Alberta now and grew up in rural Sask. Sask tends to get and stay colder than Alberta in the winter, so the snow is more likely to stick around. Southern Alberta gets "chinooks" (warm winds from the mountains) that will often raise the temps above freezing, so what snow we might have had melts.

Crazy Cat Lady
On 12/25/2019 at 10:30 AM, LeChat said:

"I think I also thought that all Canadians were bilingual and automatically taught French at schools (but I found out this is only common in Québec).

The small town in Sask where I grew up actually does have a large French population, so we learned French (no choice) from grade 1-11. In grade 12, we were able to choose whether or not we wanted to take it. It was pretty cool, though. Not something you see often in a small town, but you could walk along Main St, go into stores, and hear French being spoken. I suppose at the time, I didn't think it was all that exciting, but thinking back, it's pretty cool, I think. Since most small towns do not have that diversity. (The town is now even much more diverse than it was when I was there.)

Crazy Cat Lady
1 minute ago, CBC said:

I've never been there, but about half my mum's extended family lives in Saskatoon and the surrounding area, and I've sure heard about winters in SK. They sound dreadful, haha. Imma stick to central Ontario... or keep fantasising about moving to coastal BC.

LOL! Coastal BC would be beautiful, weather-wise (and Victoria is very beautiful, in general!). At the same time, I like having a winter, at least at Christmas. 🙂

Sadly, I have injured both knees over the years falling on ice and slush, with the frequent melt/freeze cycles here in Calgary, so it's not as appealing as it used to be. But, it sure looks nice when I can stay inside and look at it (especially with Christmas lights!) through the window.

Crazy Cat Lady
On 12/25/2019 at 12:31 PM, Perspektiv said:

I had this pointed out while traveling. Then had to admit I have weather apps that I check routinely. Yes. Apps.

Is this unusual? LOL! Doesn't everyone want to know the weather!?

Crazy Cat Lady
On 12/25/2019 at 2:33 PM, daveb said:

My sister gave me some Murchie's hot chocolate mix for Christmas. Is that a well-known/popular brand of hot chocolate there?

I think it's well-known in BC. I'm not sure how much further. I hadn't heard of it (next province over in Alberta) until my brother and his girlfriend (who were living in Victoria at the time), sent me some Murchie's tea.

Crazy Cat Lady
On 12/25/2019 at 7:35 PM, scarletlatitude said:

How popular is curling, really? 

I think (at least in my experience) it's more popular in rural areas. Pretty much everyone had curled in the town I grew up in. We learned to curl as one of the sports in our phys ed classes.

In the city, the majority of people I know who curl or have curled moved to the city from a rural area.

Crazy Cat Lady
On 12/26/2019 at 4:07 AM, questdrivencollie said:

How do you cope with your milk coming in bags?? Like, how do you close the bags once they've been opened....

I have never had bagged milk. My aunt and uncle used to get some here in Calgary, but I don't even know if it's available anymore. They had a jug they would put the bag in, and cut a small corner of the bag for pouring.

I've heard the bagged milk is more of a "thing" somewhere east (can't recall where - Ontario? Quebec? Both? Elsewhere?).

I just remembered a time I went to a rural town to watch curling one Friday night. It was a small venue, but it was packed.

Crazy Cat Lady
On 12/26/2019 at 6:04 AM, Ortac said:

What is the situation with TV? Do you have access to French language TV channels in English speaking areas, and vice-versa? 

I remember, growing up, we had "peasant tv" (no cable), and if I'm remembering correctly, French CBC was one of the channels. My memory on this is fuzzy, though. I could be mistaken.

Crazy Cat Lady
On 12/27/2019 at 9:42 PM, JenniBee said:

Wow. That sounds amazing and horrifying at the same time. I might need to add Newfoundland to my travel bucket list...

Really, Newfoundladnd is beautiful! Well, I was only in St. John's and the Avalon Peninsula a bit. Beautiful, though! Do visit if you get a chance.

Crazy Cat Lady
On 12/28/2019 at 8:39 AM, Duke Memphis said:

What's with the whole poutine thing? Who invented it? Why would anyone put curdled milk on perfectly good fries?

I'm not a fan, personally.

Archived