What do you find weird about Canadians?

Snao Cone

RoseGoesToYale

When a whole bunch of them come down to Florida for vacation. Or retire here.

Like, y'all got PEI, Nova Scotia, mountains, forests, sparkling water, public transit, and practically free healthcare, and y'all still want to come down to the land of swamps, hurricanes, truck nuts, traffic congestion, ill-equipped expensive nursing homes, and the possibility of getting shot up by someone who politically disagrees with you??

13 minutes ago, LeChat said:

I think I also thought that all Canadians were bilingual and automatically taught French at schools.

Same misconception here. Then I found out that the bilingualism is mostly limited to the French speaking areas, where people also learn English (and the other way around). I remember reading a blog post from a Vancouver YouTuber who complained about how limited it really is and recalled his school assignment that he was actually supposed to write in English, just the topic had to be related to the Frech-speaking culture.

An old joke as told to the people in my office by our Canadian Army Liaison Officer:

Q: How can you tell if a bloke is from the the USA or Canada?

A: Bump into him and knock him over.  The Yank will get up cursing and the Canadian will profusely apologize for getting in your way.

I know that when I am trying to squeeze past someone in a small space, I say : "Excuse me."   When I hear someone squeezing through a crowd saying: "Sorry! Sorry! Sorry!" I think: "Must be Canadian."    😄

37 minutes ago, CBC said:

Politically conservative and religious people exist literally everywhere. You're not going to find a country that's 100% liberal atheists and agnostics.

Yeah. I don't think I expected certain countries to be 100% liberal and atheist, just that, since I grew up being told that Canada and European countries were more secular than the U.S., that the number of conservative, religious people would be a very small percentage, something a bit similar to how there aren't many atheists where I live, nor any significant political representation, so I'm a part of a very small percentage.

Also, I think it might've had to do with the fact that Canadian history wasn't really taught that much at school. So, my classmates and I were taught more about the U.S.'s racist history (and the only thing mentioned about Canada was that, centuries ago, the U.S. and Canada fought against each other and that African-Americans were given more freedom up north, in the northern U.S. and Canada--which, apparently, wasn't completely true, as they were still treated as second-class citizens; so, the fact that Canada also had a racist history against indigenous people wasn't discussed). So, partly because of that, I really didn't expect or know that there would also be some racist and conservative people in Canada, too, just like in the U.S.

23 minutes ago, CBC said:

We're required to take French up to a certain grade level in school. Which doesn't mean we all end up fully bilingual, though.

Oh. That's interesting.

Why are ketchup chips a thing and are they popular?

1 hour ago, CBC said:

We're required to take French up to a certain grade level in school. Which doesn't mean we all end up fully bilingual, though.

Yeah, because it's mandatory the curriculum is very simple. I took it up to grade 10 (16 years old) and couldn't make much of a conversation. There are French immersion programmes where kids are taught most subjects in French, so they end up more bilingual. But even in that case, it's kind of a use it or lose it thing for some people. 

12 minutes ago, CBC said:

Because they're delicious. 😎 And yeah, relatively popular.

Well with the experience i have with them is that they really live up to the name and I will leave it at that.

4 hours ago, scarletlatitude said:

Can I ask a question instead? 

How prevalent are moose really? The internet makes it seem like everyone has moose in their yards. 

Not crazy prevalent unless you live near the country. 

I never have seen a moose as a result, but had an adult male deer a couple feet away from my backyards sliding door on my patio. 

Deer are far likelier, of course depending on your area. Same as black bears. 

Just now, CBC said:

@Snaonderneath a Mistlecone Did I ever tell you that my local hospital had a warning on the ER entrance door about watching out for cranky Canada geese hanging around the area the summer before last? 😂 They didn't use the word 'cranky' haha, but that was the clear intention. Don't piss 'em off.

You probably did tell me that, yeah. :D

2 hours ago, Homer said:

Is there a Canadian stereotype which is (a) true and (b) something you're annoyed by yourselves?

-I can only speak for myself, but as a Canadian, I find myself apologizing a lot. This is a stereotype that to me rings true. 

I think we are the only country where someone can bump into you, and both apologize o_O

I saw footage of a motorist hitting a cyclist, and both kept apologizing. One for not seeing the cyclist. The cyclist for being on the road with no lights on at night. 

I thought they were going to declare a friendship and have a beer at the end, thinking to myself: "Wow. Only in Canada..."

I think this one rings true for most Canadians. 

-Also. We are insanely (overly) polite. 

The running joke is that you piss off a Canadian and they will likely write a disgruntled letter about it. 

Really piss them off, and they will ask for the address to your head office with a name. Now you *really* did it.

The benefit, is most have a self deprecating sense of humor about themselves. 

Mine is quite a bit over the top as I don't take myself seriously which may be misconstrued as me having serious confidence issues. 

-We talk about weather. A lot. 

I had this pointed out while traveling. Then had to admit I have weather apps that I check routinely. Yes. Apps.

I want to know everything down to pollen ratios and atmospheric pressures.

Only of my Canadian quirks that annoy me. 

5 minutes ago, CBC said:

Sometimes I apologise to inanimate objects.

I stop at animals and insects. Yes. I will apologize for smooshing a mosquito that bites me with a: "sorry bud, but I am not food". Like my apology actually would help that mosquito. 

Or for accidentally bumping into a dog, as they look at me confused. 

Back to Avalon
4 hours ago, LeChat said:

I think I also thought that all Canadians were bilingual and automatically taught French at schools (but I found out this is only common in Québec).

This reminded me of bit Ray Romano does (seen here on Dr. Katz, Professional Therapist):

Anthracite_Impreza
25 minutes ago, Snaonderneath a Mistlecone said:

This is an extremely Canadian video. 

THEY'RE SO PODGY.

Anthracite_Impreza
1 minute ago, CBC said:

My childhood best friend's mum apparently had a pet raccoon growing up. I remember feeling jealous.

I know loads of Americanadians hate them but I think they're awesome. From waaaaay over here.

I don't hate raccoons either. I think they are cool and cute. Probably my attitude about them was influenced by Sterling North's book, Rascal, about a boy and his pet raccoon, and the Disney film.

My sister gave me some Murchie's hot chocolate mix for Christmas. Is that a well-known/popular brand of hot chocolate there?

I can't think of anything I find weird about Canadians. I have known quite a few Canadians over the years and they have all seemed like good people, but it's possible there is some selection bias there (friends from my childhood, fellow students, co-workers and other colleagues, online people on AVEN and hobby sites/blogs).

KuraTheChibiSleepingBeauty
5 hours ago, CBC said:

Kingston is beautiful though, IMO. One of my favourite places to visit.

That's one of my favourite places, too, even though I've only been a few times. 

Apparently there's no minced pork in Canada :huh:

3 hours ago, Homer said:

minced pork

Is that a thing where you live? I never heard of it. Google search brings up various east Asian dishes.

2 minutes ago, daveb said:

Is that a thing where you live? I never heard of it. Google search brings up various east Asian dishes.

That is the thing :D

Spoiler

mettbroetchen-mit-zwiebeln-ob-das-koblen

3 minutes ago, Homer said:

That is the thing

That's a thing alright. :P 

scarletlatitude
5 hours ago, CBC said:

Oh I love them. They're fat and fuzzy and vicious, what's not to love?

Trash pandas are the best. 

Do you guys have opossums up there? Or do they stop in the states? 

Serious time, I always wonder at the differences between gun culture in Canada and America. Canada isn't as gun happy as America, but there is still a lot of it, and the numbers aren't anywhere in relation, in a WTF is wrong with America way. Canada is a weird freak show mirror of America in a lot of ways (including football).

Rare Aztec Whstling Chickn
1 hour ago, daveb said:

We've got pork mince here too.

scarletlatitude

I have another one!

How popular is curling, really? 

2 hours ago, scarletlatitude said:

I have another one!

How popular is curling, really? 

It's not something a lot of people live and breathe like other sports can be, but a good chunk of people (especially older and whiter demographics) can get in the spirit of it, both playing and watching. I played for a few years, and my parents have been curling for about 30 years now.

On what the RCMP (Mounties) do, they are the Canadian version of the FBI.

CSIS (the Canadian version of the CIA) apparently are one of the best intelligence agencies in the world.  Canadians are so well liked in general, they have an easier time getting in anywhere.

Fun fact:  There is a law in Canada that apologizing does not admit liability in an accident.

Also, every Canadian goes through an ancient First Nation ritual that transfers all their hatred/anger/negative emotions into a Canadian Goose, which is why they are such awful creatures, that poop all the negative emotions all over the US.

Here’s a little bit from the France versus Québec perspective:

There seems to be stricter laws in Québec and a greater propensity generally to protect the French language than in France.

The menu at a McDonald’s in France will include things like “McChicken” and “Cheeseburger”, whereas in Québec it will be “McPoulet” and “Hamburger avec fromage”.

Whenever there are new words arising from new technology or new fads, France will just adopt the English word whereas in Québec, they like to come up with a French equivalent. For instance, in France, the word selfie has entered the French language, but in Québec they use the word égoportrait.

To the rest of the French speaking world, these signs seem a bit weird because they are unique to Canada; in France and other French speaking countries, they just say “STOP”

49168924263_12a6743eda_m.jpg

I suppose that another notable difference is that in Québec, they curse and swear differently to us!

rainbowocollie

How do you cope with your milk coming in bags?? Like, how do you close the bags once they've been opened....

Archived