What do you find weird about Canadians?

Snao Cone

Since there's a thread like this about Americans (as in USoA), I figured we should give people a chance to express wonderment and confusion about their eccentric northerly neighbours. :D

scarletlatitude

Can I ask a question instead? 

How prevalent are moose really? The internet makes it seem like everyone has moose in their yards. 

10 minutes ago, scarletlatitude said:

How prevalent are moose really? The internet makes it seem like everyone has moose in their yards. 

I've lived all of my life in a city, so I haven't encountered one, but I know people who have seen them near their lakeside cottages. 

Why do you call ice hockey "hockey"? :P

scarletlatitude
8 minutes ago, Homer said:

That is the only hockey that exists (not Canadian but I feel like that is the answer). 

From what I gather Mounties are more common out west in the north as those regions don't have their own regional Police force-could be wrong on that. Fun if not disappointing fact many Mounties don't wear red they are usually dressed like regular Police Officers. As for the ice hockey thing I assume its because field hockey was not common in Canada at the time so its just hockey?

43 minutes ago, scarletlatitude said:

I can't recall the last time I saw one, but I have seen deer as close as in our parking lot. They're displaced by rapid development you see.

19 minutes ago, KYON. said:

How common are Mounties?

Normally I never see RCMP cruisers but when I do it's mainly on highways. There is a local RCMP headquarters though. However, I actually saw a Mountie in his dress uniform in a nearby Starbucks. A very uncommon sight, in spite of what is usually seen in movies and on TV.

From what I've heard of Canada I think I'd probably prefer to live there than here. Nothing about any country as a whole sounds that bizarre to me. Well, except maybe North Korea.

Galactic Turtle

I just spent the last month in Canada for work!

- Ontario has this "GO" train thing. I rode it from Oshawa to Toronto and back (that's like a two hours total) and both ways I never saw any train staff attempt to check tickets. I guess they go by the honor system?

- Their stores don't have potato bread... from what I've seen.

- Apparently there might only exist one major highway. I once tried to make our charter bus go a different route but they were like "no, that highway is only two lanes so odds are you'll get stuck behind a tractor and it will add an hour to the trip."

- I was there for a concert tour and did mostly arenas. The staff at each arena were.... oddly competent. Like on point 100% of the time. I kind of miss it.

- It seems like their military bases are just put in the middle of towns. You can walk right past the front door. No need for secrecy I suppose. 

- To get transported by an ambulance is only like... $200? Compared to in the US where it would be more like $2000. 

- A&W is apparently an entire burger chain and not just root beer. 

- They don't have Target.

Galactic Turtle
3 minutes ago, CBC said:

Hahaha whaaaaat. You've been to The Shwa?! I was born in Oshawa. And ridden the GO many times (it's only in the Greater Toronto Area though, not all of Ontario).

But aww, my shitty hometown. 🥰😂

Yup! I went to Oshawa, Ottawa, Kingston, Kitchener, Mississauga, London, and St. Catharines. 

Galactic Turtle
Just now, CBC said:

Also we did have Target from 2013 to 2015. It flopped here. 🤷🏼‍♀️

Blasphemy. 

31 minutes ago, KYON. said:

How common are Mounties?

As Ceebs said, they're not common in Ontario (nor Quebec, I think) because they have their own provincial police to cover smaller jurisdictions. They're common law enforcement in other provinces, though. Cities usually have their own police force, so the RCMP are mostly present outside of major cities. They do have offices in major cities because of coordinated investigations and shit, but the everyday policing in cities is usually a municipal force, and in rural areas it's the RCMP. 

24 minutes ago, Homer said:

Because that's what it is, you Deutschbag. :P

scarletlatitude
11 minutes ago, Galactic Turtle said:

- They don't have Target.

giphy.gif

33 minutes ago, CBC said:

I don't really know what Mounties do. 😂

They mount? :D But yeah, from the non-Canadian perspective, they are one of the essentially Canadian things. 

Sad to say, I don't know enough about Canada to be able to notice any peculiarities. :blush:

Galactic Turtle
6 minutes ago, CBC said:

Ohhhh I HATE Mississauga. 😈 I lived there for less than a year (September '15 to July '16) and it made me want to die. Although that was in part due to my building being infested with ants, and also being terribly depressed and lonely at the time.

Kingston is beautiful though, IMO. One of my favourite places to visit.

Kingston was great! And I agree, I hate Mississauga with a fiery passion. Burn it all. 

Why Americans don’t all flock there to escape the Cheetodome.

The weird media ownership rule (ie. that only native Canadian companies can broadcast TV/Radio, but all that means is foreign companies go through one rather than broadcast directly).

How snowy is it in “general”?

If you have UK-eske (esque?) healthcare, what are your immigration rules? Asking for a - uh - friend.

Is Tim Hortons any good?

Hey man, Target eradicated our beloved Zellers. I do not care for them. 

Is there a Canadian stereotype which is (a) true and (b) something you're annoyed by yourselves?

1 hour ago, Snaonderneath a Mistlecone said:

Since there's a thread like this about Americans (as in USoA), I figured we should give people a chance to express wonderment and confusion about their eccentric northerly neighbours. :D

I'm actually finding it really fucking weird right now that I woke up in the middle of the night and I can't tell if I actually had a real or dream conversation with you last night and then this is like the first thing I see.

EDIT: yes shhh i'm still half asleep or something i know this sounds a bit awkard. shh what is life.

Galactic Turtle
Just now, CBC said:

I feel like "I love you" is an appropriate response to this. 😂 So much YES. 😁

I have a feeling it's run by gangsters. They say the city is completely debt free and because of that it's illegal for them to wire us the profits from the show. The lady deadass asked me if I wanted the $200,000 in cash, a check, or a mixture of both.

Like.... yo..... what?

Just now, Galactic Turtle said:

Oh yeah, why does the Canadian postal system suck so bad?

It doesn't. In my experience it's been efficient and convenient, far preferable to garbage shipping companies like FedEx. 

Galactic Turtle
Just now, Snaonderneath a Mistlecone said:

It doesn't. In my experience it's been efficient and convenient, far preferable to garbage shipping companies like FedEx. 

Oh wow! Out of three packages sent, two of them got lost in the mail for an extra two weeks. We then only used UPS.

1 minute ago, Una Salus Victus said:

I'm actually finding it really fucking weird right now that I woke up in the middle of the night and I can't tell if I actually had a real or dream conversation with you last night and then this is like the first thing I see.

Did I appear in a non-corporeal form to show you the true meaning of Christmas? 

Anthracite_Impreza

I find the fact there are two different 'official' languages weird, coming from a monolingual country.

Just now, Galactic Turtle said:

Oh wow! Out of three packages sent, two of them got lost in the mail for an extra two weeks. We then only used UPS.

I've had one negative experience with Canada Post. UPS is better than FedEx but still not as good as Canada Post. They had a huge task at hand when designing the postal system and were regarded as quite successful, to the point they've been consulted by other countries. (not really to success, though, because most countries aren't like Canada in size and distribution) 

2 minutes ago, Snaonderneath a Mistlecone said:

Did I appear in a non-corporeal form to show you the true meaning of Christmas? 

The more I sit here the less idea I have. It was a rather weird feelign to wake up to though

8 minutes ago, Jimmeh said:

How snowy is it in “general”?

It's a huge country, so it's going to vary. But a typical winter here (in the most "typical winter" kind of city) usually gets a couple feet of snow that sticks around for four or five months. Sometimes we can get a lot more snow, but since it usually snows more in mild weather some of that melts. Or it gets compacted, so the snow level goes down a bit. Coastal cities have it very different, though. 

"What do you find weird about Canadians?"

Well, this is more surprising to me, than weird; I grew up being told that Canadians were more friendly and secular than Americans, so I was a bit surprised to find out from Canadians who lived in major cities like Toronto and Vancouver that, in their experience, locals preferred to keep to themselves and that there were some conservative, political parties and religious residents.

I think I also thought that all Canadians were bilingual and automatically taught French at schools (but I found out this is only common in Québec).

Archived