What do I do if I am around a community against lgbt+?

DaxTomFoxLeo

I'm a Muslim and I come from the Middle East. I live in UK, but every now and then (winter and summer holiday) I visit Oman to see my family (with my mother and siblings). My mother isn't against LGBT+, but I don't know if she'd accept her own son being an Ace and Aro. My father, I can tell won't like me as an Ace and Aro for reasons and about bloodline and blah blah blah. What is your advice in these communities? Have you ever been in such a community?

My advice is tune them out if they blab about marriage and bullshit like that. Don't bother telling them your orientations as well, not worth it. Just survive the time you have to spend around their beliefs and so on. 

My advice would be to tell them that there’s a therapy you can have to make you less asexual but it’ll cost you £10,000 and you don’t have that sort of money. Kaching! Money maker. 

Honestly though, I probably just wouldn’t tell them. My dad is very anti-LGBT and he has no idea myself or my husband are asexual.

Purple Wanderer

I don't think there's any easy answer. Its either face the problem head on or secrets and lies!

Your grandmother will most likely understand. Your dad, its understandable that he won't though.

It happens, just use the "medical" term of HSDD.

I didn't even know I was asexual my whole life until I turned 23; I just thought I was weird for not being attracted to anyone. You'll probably have to go in-depth and talk to them about it in detail. 

is there a religious mentor that you could talk to about this? I don't really know well the local structure for islam, so I don't know who to suggest, but anyone who spends time thinking about how your religion intersects with your daily lives and culture who you trust might be a helpful guide.

you may also look online for off-aven resources, in my cursory searches I found a few that might be useful for you. 

as I understand it, in your religion, you are made in a way that is correct, and a just people are one that acknowledge this correctness.

good luck.