Kink vs Fetish

Ita25

Apparently there is a significant difference between these terms that I was unaware of, and it seems to have a fairly crucial difference for asexuals. 

According to what I read, a kink is something that causes arousal that's not considered a norm. A fetish is something that must be present in order to enjoy sexual exchanges. 

If that's right, wouldn't that mean someone who is asexual could not have a fetish because they'd never be interested in sexual stuff anyway. 

Honestly my main 'way' of having and enjoying (and even thinking about) sex involves solely kink/fetish stuff.. and I have never understood the difference :P if it turns me on and gets me off then it's good enough for me regardless of what label is applied to it. 

Sorry this wasn't much help,  just thought I'd throw my two cents in there!! :cake:

The closest I can think of is that if its something you do yourself that's a kink, if it's done by someone else then it's a fetish. Obviously a) this may not be an accurate interpretation, and b) there's cross-over areas, such as wanting to be bound to a bed and getting whipped could be a a kink, having someone in dominatrix gear do that to you could be seen as fetishising them 

I usually don't answer to threads like this because I think only the more experienced (and who have them) people can answer it properly, however I think that I can give my opinion on this because I have seen some stuff... unfortunately...

No, I think that there is definitely a difference between kinks and fetishes.
And if the fetish art on DeviantArt is anything to take to considerration, fetishes do tend to be more extreme and unusual (most cases it's physically impossible to recreate them IRL) than kinks themselves.

In the medical sphere, fetishes are also often referred as "paraphilias".

Kinks seems to be more about any activity or object that are used by people during sexual activity to make it more enjoyable and fun and it is not your typical vanilla sex. They don't necessarily need their kink to be able to get sexually aroused or to want sex... but if they do need it, then it would be considered to be a fetish of theirs.

And that's what fetishes are - a much broader term that encompasses unusual activities, objects, ideas, ect., that are used by the people to induce a sexual excitement of sorts.

Sometimes fetishes have nothing to do with sex at all. Take for example diaper fetish - there is nothing inherently sexual to diapers and wearing them.... and yet, it is one of the most popular fetish out there, which is used by people to get off on it.

Archived