Foods from your Home/Culture

Arodash

Has anyone ever had Loganberry soda? I ran across it only once in a diner at a lonely crossroads in upstate New York, so part of me is convinced it never really existed.

Wait, nvm, the internet agrees that this is a thing that is. Whew!

well, where I live currently, green chili is very popular, craft beer is like everyone’s favorite thing, and people like bison. also, Georgia might be the peach state, but we’ve got some awesome peaches to the west over in Palisade.

as for the place i actually consider to be home (Pennsylvania), we’ve got cheesesteaks, scrapple, pierogi, shoofly pie, and plenty of Italian hoagies. all that good stuff y’know.

2 hours ago, kenny. said:

green chili is very popular

It's settled. I'm moving there.

Where I'm from we're known for having the overall ugliest city in the U.S., people who have immigrated here from other countries ultimately decide they're better off wherever they came from and go back, and apparently chili dogs are on the list of top 10 foods in my state.

We don't have any local dishes here, but London has jellied eels, Pie mash and liquor. 

Rare Aztec Whstling Chickn

For a somewhat used to be agricultural area we don't have anything really specific to this area, other than maybe seafood, but then again, fish and chips wasn't exactly our idea to begin with. Then again, I haven't really been exposed to anythign that might suggest otherwise.

8 hours ago, wyrdwyrm said:

Has anyone ever had Loganberry soda?

I never had that, but when I lived in Pennsylvania birch beer was a popular soda (it's non-alcoholic, more along the lines of root beer or ginger ale, but is it's own flavor).

1 minute ago, daveb said:

I never had that, but when I lived in Pennsylvania birch beer was a popular soda (it's non-alcoholic, more along the lines of root beer or ginger ale, but is it's own flavor).

Birch beer is great

Pennsylvania is very well known for their steak and cheese subs from Philly. When I was growing up my father was stationed in Philly

Fry sauce, finger steaks, huckleberries, honey sticks, potato ice cream, and homemade root beer

The Birmingham area has Pork Scratchings, Rossendale has pressed beef, and there are many other regional foods. 

A lot of New England dishes had been carried over from England and have remained staples in our diets, we still eat fish and chips, bangers and smash. Also this time of year its sort of tradition for Husbands to make a pork pie, if they are a hunter and have taken down a buck they will make a pork/venison pie

So theres a few things my family always does for holiday meals. Slovenian Sausage in a bed of sauerkraut (I'm personally not a fan of kraut, but its ok), Perogies, which are dumplings filled with either potatoes, cheese, or beef and my dads specialty hickory smoked salmon with a maple glaze. Its funny thats his specialty because he doesnt really like seafood, but for me its a god send.

@daveb @Arodash  my birch beer of choice is Boylan a New York brewing company. At this time they are also doing their seasonal Creamy Red Birch beer so hopefully you guys can find it.

I love this topic! It's very dear to my heart. I live in an area which take it’s cultural heritage very seriously…, well we don’t want our culture to die out.

Around where I live we have a dish called Motti. It’s made of a specific flour only made here. This flour consist exclusively of roasted oats, finely ground. There’s a very specific process involved; only autumn oats are used, they are dried in stone ovens then peeled and the kernels roasted over wood fire. The final step of the process is to grind the flour, something which has to be done by hand with stones (according to my grandparents). 

Motti is then made by boiling water and salt, take it off the flame and add the flour bit by bit, a little at the time and stomp it with a large wooden spoon or wooden stick *Don’t stir!* The result should be a quite hefty and dense porridge.

Traditionally this porridge was so dense that you could pick up a clump with your hand and stuff in your coat pocket before going out in the woods.

As a kid we used to eat it like that, with our hands. Dip Motti in melted butter and eat with cured rainbow trout or smoked mackerel. My grandma's sister would first boil fish then make the Motti from the leftover stock from the fish then we'd eat the fish and dip Motti in melted butter and cowberry jam 

These days I sometimes make a less dense (more water, less flour), stirred version for breakfast and eat with golden syrup, cowberry jam or applemash. My version has a super smooth, silken texure almost like creme brulée, soooo good. And I use a spoon:lol:

Fun fact if you mix Motti with cowberries you get a new dish called Hillon which is extremely nutritious but unfortunately quite tart. My grandma would make us eat Hillon when we were sick... said it’d cure scurvy…, well I’ve never had scurvy so guess it works :lol:

I'm used to having Motti with cowberry jam for breakfast or for dinner served with cured, smoked or boiled fish but I know other families also eat it with other meats. Common are game like moose and boar, poultry like ptarmigan and black grouse but also pork is used. If you eat it with pork it's common to dip Motti in the fat left behind from the pork instead of melted butter but no one forgets the cowberry jam.

1 hour ago, FeichtKatze said:

I love this topic! It's very dear to my heart. I live in an area which take it’s cultural heritage very seriously…, well we don’t want our culture to die out.

Around where I live we have a dish called Motti. It’s made of a specific flour only made here. This flour consist exclusively of roasted oats, finely ground. There’s a very specific process involved; only autumn oats are used, they are dried in stone ovens then peeled and the kernels roasted over wood fire. The final step of the process is to grind the flour, something which has to be done by hand with stones (according to my grandparents). 

Motti is then made by boiling water and salt, take it off the flame and add the flour bit by bit, a little at the time and stomp it with a large wooden spoon or wooden stick *Don’t stir!* The result should be a quite hefty and dense porridge.

Traditionally this porridge was so dense that you could pick up a clump with your hand and stuff in your coat pocket before going out in the woods.

As a kid we used to eat it like that, with our hands. Dip Motti in melted butter and eat with cured rainbow trout or smoked mackerel. My grandma's sister would first boil fish then make the Motti from the leftover stock from the fish then we'd eat the fish and dip Motti in melted butter and cowberry jam 

These days I sometimes make a less dense (more water, less flour), stirred version for breakfast and eat with golden syrup, cowberry jam or applemash. My version has a super smooth, silken texure almost like creme brulée, soooo good. And I use a spoon:lol:

Fun fact if you mix Motti with cowberries you get a new dish called Hillon which is extremely nutritious but unfortunately quite tart. My grandma would make us eat Hillon when we were sick... said it’d cure scurvy…, well I’ve never had scurvy so guess it works :lol:

I'm used to having Motti with cowberry jam for breakfast or for dinner served with cured, smoked or boiled fish but I know other families also eat it with other meats. Common are game like moose and boar, poultry like ptarmigan and black grouse but also pork is used. If you eat it with pork it's common to dip Motti in the fat left behind from the pork instead of melted butter but no one forgets the cowberry jam.

:o  I've never heard of Motti before, sounds interesting! (Maybe I'm intrigued by pocket food...) I've also never heard of cowberry - what does that taste like?

11 hours ago, daveb said:

If you know where to look, you can find birch beer and sarsaparilla around here. (I prefer the sarsaparilla, myself.) Now that specialty sodas are more common, it's easier to find things like this, but it used to be the only place nearby was a local gas station, of all places! :D 

18 minutes ago, wyrdwyrm said:

:o  I've never heard of Motti before, sounds interesting! (Maybe I'm intrigued by pocket food...) I've also never heard of cowberry - what does that taste like?

Honestly I don't want to know what people's pockets used to look like back in the days😂 Sounds nasty, if you stuff food in them like that...

Cowberries have like 25 different names😮 you probably know them by another. They taste kinda tart and similar to cranberries. Can use cranberries instead if that's easier to get hold of.

Fractionally Off-topic, but Rawtenstall in Lancashire had Britain's last surviving temperance bar, where you could get speciality pops. As @wyrdwyrmmentioned, sarsasaprilla (almost unheard of here), unfortunately the owner got done for drink-driving

On the subject of pop (soda in the USA), Vimto (grape, blackcurrant and apple), Dandelion and Burdock, Irn Bru (does genuinely have Iron in it - in the form of Ammonium Ferric Citrate -) seem to be predominantly British. Irn Bru especially was the staple pop in Scotland, Vimto was a Northern England thing, but both a countrywide now. 

Theres this weird myth that americans call all soda "coke" no.... we call cocacola as just coke, but not all soda, some of us, especially here in the north say pop, or sodapop. Very popular here in Maine is blueberry soda and Moxie Cola. In fact! We will cook chicken with cola sometimes which is strange to me. 

Question for my friends across the pond to the great motherland that we rebelious americans saw fit to leave XD 

Does or does not the word bacon refer to more than 1 kind of meat??? Because here bacon refers really only to 1 cut of meat, or fat I should say

Bacon actually refers to the way the meat is prepared. It can refer to different cuts, which is why streaky bacon and back bacon look completely different 

1 minute ago, Sleighcaptain said:

Bacon actually refers to the way the meat is prepared. It can refer to different cuts, which is why streaky bacon and back bacon look completely different 

Thankkkk you. Over here it only refers to one specific kind. Streaky bacon

7 hours ago, Arodash said:

Theres this weird myth that americans call all soda "coke" no

Actually, it is true in some parts of the US. Some people did that where I grew up. Others called it pop; some called it soda; some would say soft drinks. Basically it's one of those regional things, like the different terms people use for drinking fountains.

25 minutes ago, daveb said:

Actually, it is true in some parts of the US. Some people did that where I grew up. Others called it pop; some called it soda; some would say soft drinks. Basically it's one of those regional things, like the different terms people use for drinking fountains.

Ohhhhh why thank you I didnt know this was something that people in other regions say! Every state and region does have their own culture

I'm from Michigan, so three things stand out to me as homey foods: pasties, fudge, and cherry anything. Cherry pie, cherry wine, and cherry tarts are some of the favourites. The fudge is mostly a Mackinac Island thing, but at this point it's sort of spread all over Michigan, so I'll count it. You get pasties more in the UP, but again, all over the state now (and they're also kind of distributed in a wide band along the north of the US), and I'm very relieved that I've found a gluten-free version now that I can't eat the normal ones, because that was making me sad. (If you don't know what a pasty is, it's basically kind of a savory pastry crust that contains a filling of diced potatoes, beef, rutabaga, and sometimes other vegetables.)

Culturally, I think more of Austrian dishes - my Oma was from Austria, and she was an amazing cook, so between that and the nostalgia factor I tend to remember those with fondness. Wiener Schnitzel has been a favourite of mine for a long time, and a variety of goulashes. And for sweeter things, Apfelstrudel (and other strudels), and Palatschinken, which are basically crepes. My Oma also made a really good version of Sachertorte (a chocolate cake with apricot jam filling), which I associate with special occasions.

From the other side of the family, chili con carne - the kind with peppers, beans, meat, tomatoes, and sometimes onions - is the thing that stands out to me. I'm pretty sure that's just a typically American dish at this point, though it originated in the southwest.

7 hours ago, Sleighcaptain said:

Oddly enough, most people around here refer to streaky bacon as bacon and back bacon as Canadian bacon. Anything else that one might normally refer to as bacon usually just gets called pork (assuming it comes from the pig, of course).

4 hours ago, Arodash said:
4 hours ago, daveb said:

Ohhhhh why thank you I didnt know this was something that people in other regions say! Every state and region does have their own culture

Here in NM, a coke can be anything from Coca-Cola, to Pepsi, to Sprite, to RC, to Dr. Pepper, to any generic brand... Depends on the people you're with at the time.

We're the home to the famous Hatch Green Chile, which gets out on everything from eggs to hamburgers and cream of chicken soup to Frito pies.

New Mexico has an official State Question and that's Red or Green? The question refers to the type of chile you want on your food: red chile (made with chiles which have allowed to go red then hung to dry and turned into powder. Then it's turned into a sauce.) or green (the pods of which are roasted and peeled, then either chopped or left in strips, depending on the use). Chile can range from very mild to scorching and tongue numbing. Best way to eat it? Christmas, which gets you a mix of both!

Also nummy: tamales, enchiladas, empanadas, Indian fry bread or sopapillas with honey, biscuchitos (type of cookie)....

This may entertain people:

http://popvssoda.com/

Speaking of food...despite my adversarial relationship with cooking, I'm going to attempt making the mojo pork using the recipe in the movie Chef - wish me luck tomorrow when I actually cook it!

1 minute ago, wyrdwyrm said:

This may entertain people:

http://popvssoda.com/

Speaking of food...despite my adversarial relationship with cooking, I'm going to attempt making the mojo pork using the recipe in the movie Chef - wish me luck tomorrow when I actually cook it!

Binging with Babish rules

On my father's side we are slavs, who come from Russia so. There are some russian foods the family eats, borschts. Vermicielli pasta in a bowl of milk, kielbassa with potatoes. Basically anything with liver.... blegh and sour cream. It apparently must go on everything. 

Imagine the clash of cultures, Oma was a german woman, daughter of a brown shirt (she HATED him) and a gypsy and my Nan was the daughter of a Jewish Russian. 

Archived