Foods from your Home/Culture

Arodash

Reminds me of which, my grandfather on my mums side moved here to Australia from the Netherlands just after WW2, so there was a couple things mum introduced to me when I was young like salted licorice, speculaas and appel stroop. All of which are totally great things

• 4 months later...
J. van Deijck

From where I come from:

Spoiler

+kotlet schabowy - a type of meat that is like a Polish version of Viennese schnitzel. On this picture it is served with boiled potatoes and mizeria, which is a salad made of raw cucumbers with salt and cream (I don't like this one, tbh). I would usually eat it with mashed potatoes, though.

P4124119.jpg

+bigos - a dish made of sauerkraut with variety of meat.

mg_2805-600x900.png

+gołąbki - cabbage rolls. These are also known in Scandinavia, if I'm not wrong :D in Poland they are typically stuffed with minced pork meat and rice, but there are some other versions around (for example meat only or meat with buckwheat seeds).

golabki-z-mlodej-kapusty-z-miesem-i-kasz

+pierogi - dumplings stuffed with whatever you like. :P the most common are ruskie, filled with potatoes and white cheese, or the ones with cabbage, meat, or fruits.

polska_pierogi.jpg

+kotlet mielony - yay, the Polish meatball :D again, served with boiled potatoes (mashed or not) and with the beetroot salad, like on the picture. I like it also with a mix of cooked carrots and green peas.

kotlety-mielone-z-buraczkami.jpg?fileID=

And the variety of soups:

+flaki - a soup made of the cow's stomach. Surprisingly very tasty :3

tradycyjne-flaczki-wolowe-flaki-jak-u-ma

+tomato soup - can be served with rice or with pasta.

zupa-pomidorowa-z-ryzem.jpeg

+zupa ogórkowa - a soup made of fermented cucumbers. Of course a fermented cucumber alone is typical for Polish cuisine, and I love it for its specific sour taste. This soup can be served with potatoes or rice.

zupa-og%C3%B3rkowa_1.jpg

+rosół - chicken broth. Typically served with pasta at Sunday's dinner :P

rosol_0.jpg

+barszcz ukraiński - a soup made of red beetroot, white beans, cabbage and some other things. Again, one of my favourites :3

barszcz-ukrainski-na-wedzonych-zeberkach

+krupnik - a soup where you use both potatoes and barley grain. One of my favourite soups ever ♡

krupnik.jpg?fileID=228108&width=800&heig

+żurek - a soup made of rye flour, correct me if I'm wrong :P also sour in taste, but this one I don't like.

zurek-przepis-2.jpg

+zupa grzybowa - a mushroom soup. In Poland we pick the mushrooms ourselves from the forest, and people there mostly know which ones are edible and which are not. :D

zupa-grzybowa-z-mrozonych-grzybow.jpg

+kapuśniak - a soup made of sauerkraut or fresh cabbage, sometimes a mix of both. Another personal favourite :3

kapusniak_01_0.jpg

+zupa szczawiowa - a soup made of sorrel leaves.

zupa-szczawiowa-z-jajkiem-i-puree.jpeg

+botwina - a seasonal soup made of beetroot leaves. I love it.

botwina-na-wiosne-czyli-zupa-botwinkowa-

And desserts:

+faworki, deep fried cookies:

przepis-na-faworki-idealne..jpg

+pierniki, gingerbread cookies:

Pierniki-z-ziemniak%C3%B3w.jpg

+makowiec, a poppy seed cake:

makowiec_01_0.jpg

+sernik, cheesecake. There's a wide variety of them - with chocolate, with peaches, or with raisins, but I hate the one with raisins :P

puszysty_sernik_bez_spodu.jpg

From where I live:

Spoiler

+fries :P

6y0ktkpTURBXy8zODkxN2IwZDFkNWQ0NjAxYzllZ

+waffles in two versions: 

-Brussels:

image-asset.jpeg

-and Liege:

ApplicationsGaufresDeLiege-e158212753021

+mosselen - cooked common mussels:

klassiek-gekookte-mosselen_0.jpg?itok=lA

+also tomato soup, but served only with tiny meatballs. :3

COVER_4_Tomates.jpg

+potage belge - a Belgian form of cabbage soup made of red cabbage. :3

zupa-belgijska-potage-belge.jpeg

+Waterzooi - a chicken dish.

6018a21f556b5af1ffc038a5ed242af5.jpg

+Carbonade flamande - a dish made of beef.

carbonade-flamande-3000x2000.jpg

+garnaalkroketten - made of shrimps.

garnaalkroketten.jpg

+gegratineerd witloof - a baked chicory wrapped in ham.

recettes_belges_2016_08.jpg?itok=WF0Crcs

+vol-au-vent - a pastry filled with white sauce, chicken and mushrooms.

Vol-au-vent_20_cm.jpg

+frikandel - a kind of hot dog sausage.

Frikandel.jpg

and some desserts:

+speculoos - root cookies:

recette-e4983-speculoos.jpg

+Cuberdon  - a Belgian candy, very sweet.

d5999e8fe272441e9385ecf31f918717.jpg?w=6

Of course Belgium is also famous for beer and chocolate :D one of the well known types of chocolate is this:

chocolate_pralines.jpg

Probably haven't mentioned even a half :D

J. van Deijck
On 12/25/2019 at 5:13 AM, Arodash said:

Imagine the clash of cultures, Oma was a german woman, daughter of a brown shirt (she HATED him) and a gypsy and my Nan was the daughter of a Jewish Russian. 

I have German, Scandinavian and Armenian ancestry, but I only know some German and a bit of Swedish cuisine from it all :D

Here are some foods that either I grew up with or from places I have lived, that are important to me:

German bread. I have my favourite types from different places I have been/lived. It varies from region to region, but bread is important to most Germans I think. Having good bread is an important part for feeling 'home' to me. It's not my favourite daily bread, but I do really like Pumpernickel, which is baked at a low temperature for 24 hours until it is almost black.

Along with that Brezel/Breze (pretzel), they can be made well in Swabia and Bavaria (although they are slightly different).

I don't come from or currently live in Swabia, but their Linsen mit Spätzle is great, is considered their 'national' dish, and has its own wikipedia page. Indeed, people can go a bit crazy for it there. I love it, I have learned to cook it and taken it on as a 'home' recipe for me. It is the previously mentions egg noodle, with a kind of lentil stew/sauce, often served with sausage.

And from the UK, one of the things I miss is fish and chips by the seaside. Should be served with salt and vinegar. The chips are different from fries elsewhere - they are thicker and soft, not thin and crispy. Fish and chips often come in a cardboard box or wrapped in paper. Also, mushy peas are something that goes with this and is also available at the fish and chip shop.

fish-chips-cardboard-box-takeaway-grey-w

14 minutes ago, Karo said:

egg noodle, with a kind of lentil stew/sauce, often served with sausage.

My Oma used to make this but with ham instead of sausage

Grumpy Alien

Hard to say... There’s LOADS of foods I miss from home but I wouldn’t say any of them are from my “culture.” The culture I was born into is hot dogs and cheesesteaks. (I don’t eat either of those.) I miss foods like tres leches and challah. They were common in my home region but because there’s barely any Latin America or Jewish populations here, those are foods you need to make yourself. And I suck in the kitchen. 😂 I made challah once in preschool but bread is (c)hella hard to make from scratch so no thank you. I do want to try making tres leches but I would need an occasion because I don’t want to end up eating an entire cake.

And how could I forget these great things:

Lamington Cake – Australian Lamington Chocolate Cake RecipeTim Tams, an Australian Favorite, Arrive in America - The New York ...

Vegemite - Wikipedia

Some more british things:

scones

scones.jpg?itok=Lr3bXsFN

crumpets

121401-HERO-9fd1befd-3178-46b4-9b87-1da9

hot cross buns

White-Chocolate-Cranberry-Hot-Cross-Buns

malt loaf

6fdc0f436bc909213ea35c92de14546a.jpg

I have made scones and hot cross buns before, but not crumpets or malt loaf. The scones are pretty straightforward, and hot cross buns are acheivable too, although I first made them because I wasn't in the UK over easter and really wanted some. I might try making the others too some time, but they seem more complicated. They are definitely the sort of thing I would normally buy instead of bake.

And then of course there is marmite (of which I brought a jar with me), which here people sometimes call shoecreme, because that is what it looks like. For anyone who hasn't come across it, it is a yeast extract, and it tastes quite strong. You either love it or hate it (and probably only love it if you grew up with it). It is mainly used as a spread for toast/bread (in my opinion best with lots of butter), but can also be used in cooking to add flavour.

marmite-yeast-extract-250g-en.jpg

Interference

since it's close to eid, i'll share a meal most commonly eaten here:

photo.jpg

from wikipedia: Opor is a type of dish cooked and braised in coconut milk from Indonesia, especially from Central Java. In Indonesia the term opor refer to the method of cooking in coconut milk. Opor is a popular dish for lebaran or Eid ul-Fitr, usually eaten with ketupat and sambal goreng ati (beef liver in sambal). In Yogyakarta chicken or egg opor often (sic) eaten with gudeg and rice.

it's quite nice, especially if it's hot and fresh. i have never tried cooking that myself, but i kinda want to one day.

fooledbysecrecy

finnish ryebread! (i think it's some sort of sourdough thing too? but not the same everyone's baking now?)

ruoka_ruisleip_viipaleita-682x660.jpg

so many variations, this one i think is still the most popualr, at least in shops: 

4ee7c30b-78f3-3cbe-a36b-cf553923ebe1

(although could be something else now i haven't lived there in over a decade but anyway)

the latter one toasted?? hot damn. 

also hot take: finnish chocolate is The Best. yeah belgian is nice too, in my not at all biased (😋) opinion i think they do the pralines and that sort of thing a bit better maybe but if you want the perfect bar of chocolate that's the fazer blue

main-qimg-90879b2b484be27b34e10945c9f97f

and the amount of different flavours this comes in too!! the newest one is raspberry & liquorice, just waiting for it to become available in their online shop so i can place (another) order..😳

and of course there's salmiakki, which is a popular "sweet", it's basically salty liquorice. comes in many varieties too. (also there's of course chocolate with salmiakki filling, and it's so good holy shit!!)

i think a lot of traditional finnish foods are quite meaty so i'm not really huge fan of them haha.

Skycaptain

https://images.app.goo.gl/4UYgMzN59ZSF9yjZ8

The Full English Breakfast. Sausages, bacon, mushrooms, tomato, fried bread, baked beans, fried bread, along with toast and jam, marmalade or Marmite. Served traditionally with breakfast tea, but coffee is commonplace 

A starter of fruit and/or cereal can be added. 

You can add black pudding, hash browns etc to the main plate if really hungry 😋😋

That Finnish rye bread looks very tasty!

And I love hash browns, they are probably my favourite part of full English breakfast!

A sort of similar potato dish I like here is Reibekuchen (or Kartoffelpuffer) with Apfelmus, which are fried grated potato pancakes with apple sauce.

kartoffelpuffer.jpg

I am really enjoying this thread. So here are some more german foods:

Maultaschen:

Schnell & einfach] Schwäbische Maultaschen | LIDL Kochen

Knödel mit Rahmschwammerl (Schwammerl is bavarian for mushrooms)

Rahmschwammerl-mit-Semmelkn%C3%B6del-2.j

Schupfnudeln (a type of pasta/noodle? you fry), with sauerkraut.

Schupfnudeln-mit-Sauerkraut.jpg

Lowkey came in expecting someone from my country to share stuff ( AS IT SEEMS TO BE EVERYWHERE ON YOUTUBE ??? ) and theres none soo aight 

https://pt.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ficheiro:Brigadeiro.jpg 

Brigadeiro is way too delicious and you're missing out 

https://pt.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ficheiro:GuaranaARG1coma5.jpg

This is my fav soda ;_; 

https://pt.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ficheiro:DulceDeLecheEnUnaBotella.jpg

Dulce de leche / doce de leite is just .......... a drug to me lol. I think the softer version is kinda exclusive to LA ?? Perhaps in NA caramel would be a replacement ?? Caramel is ok but dulce de leche is something else 💖 

https://pt.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ficheiro:Pao_de_queijo_brasil.jpg

Pao de Queijo 

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.laylita.com/recipes/brazilian-cassava-balls-with-cheese/amp/&ved=2ahUKEwjxxeX0nMTpAhX9HLkGHenVBU8Q-ggwFHoECAwQBg&usg=AOvVaw0KrZCVOPSQyq-IhyNrWJNi&ampcf=1

Also, bolinho de aipim ("manioc balls") 

https://pt.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ficheiro:Brazilian_pastel.jpg

Pastel !!! 

There's just so many but I guess these are my addictions lol. Oh please may this pandemic end so I can go bk to eating street foods. 

J. van Deijck

I am back with more foods, some of which are more 'cultural' than others.

First off, some German foods:

Spoiler

wurstsalat, which is mostly strips of sausage. I don't get why this is called a salad.

wurstsalat.jpg

fleischsalat, which has some sauce and gherkins and other stuff in too

c929cd5b-804f-4694-bd51-044a689bc3ea.jpg

met brötchen (this is raw minced pork)

dc3227223835414d93e0e14569fe3d9f.jpg?w=6

currywurst!

43801233_303.jpg

Spaghettieis, which is vanilla ice with strawberry sauce

csm_Spaghetti-Eis_0458_e9d9e111c6.jpg

Caro kaffee. It's a coffee substitute made of roasted chicory and grains. I'm not sure how 'german' it is or whether each country just has their own brand of something like this, but I like it a lot! (I think it is one of the things I was thinking about when I came up with my screen name)
de_pim_130946001001_01.png?w=400&h=400&mInsert image from URL

Next, a few random things from the UK:

Spoiler

Rock is a hard sugary sweet that is rolled and stretched over and over, and can have patterns or words inside. It is traditionally found at the seaside. Watching it being made is fascinating!
stick-of-brighton-rock-picture-id4526294

Fudge
img22187.768x512.jpg

Jaffa cakes. Are they biscuits or cakes? I can't decide so they go in this section
0*ClDbUrMcTpspiXax.jpg

Maltesers. I was recently talking to a friend here, and she didn't know what I was talking about. I never realised that these wouldn't be known in Germany.
Maltesers-Wrapper-Small.jpg

Since this is AVEN, I thought I should show you some cake:

Spoiler

From the UK:
Victoria sponge
Duck-Egg-Victoria-Sponge-Cake-683x1024.j

coffee and walnut cake
letterbox_Coffee_20and_20walnut_20cake.j

butterfly cakes
Vanilla-Butterfly-Fairy-Cakes-10-scaled.

Simnel cake (for Easter), is one of my favourite cakes
simnel-cake.jpg?itok=MDVDKnex

battenberg cake
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ15mekgG9cnLKMJeWrMdP

Swiss roll (also exists in chocolate version)
302171-1-eng-GB_546.jpg

And this is a birthday cake that is widely used, called Colin the caterpillar
91mEqJT0dQL._AC_SY550_.jpg

Is the next one a cake? Banoffe pie (bananas and toffee), I haven't had it in a while and think I need to make some!
Banoffee-Pie-Recipe-Image-720x540.jpg

And some German ones:
frankfurter-kranz-b.jpg?itok=6gsc0n6i

I think this is the most famous outside of Germany - Schwarzwälder Kirschtorte
schwarzwaelder-kirsch-torte.jpg?h=e0ec07

Zwetchgen kuchen (plum cake)
20190831152639_IMG_8335-01.jpeg

Marble cake in the Guglhupf shape
S2019-10-29.jpg

bienenstich
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR_qPr5H9NHUtOa24Xr-L6

käsekuchen, which although it is called cheesecake is not the same as cheesecake
omas-kaesekuchen-b1.jpg

Blitzkuchen (Lighting cake), is very fast to make
blitzkuchen.jpg

Träubleskuchen is one of my favourites. It has redcurrants, and meringue on top
61391-johannisbeerkuchen-mit-baiserhaube

Thinking about these cakes also reminded me of some other baked goods and biscuits

Spoiler

From the UK:
mince pies - available around christmas.
MPDZONCGCUR3WC50DWZ7.jpg

Bakewell tart contains cherries and a sweet almond filling. It can look like either of the pictures below, I think. I'm not a fan of icing, but the other one is amazing!
cherry-bakewell-tart-e-liquid.jpg

bakewell_s600x600_c643x375_l0x210.png

rich tea biscuit (left). They don't taste of tea, but you can dunk them in tea. digestive biscuit (right) is also popular
IMG_2900.jpg

custard cream
shutterstock_custard_cream.jpg?x=648&y=3

party rings
AF20130320_Party_Rings_039C01_large.jpg

Scottish shortbread. If I'd have to pick one, this is possibly my favourite biscuit of all!
Shortbread-1-square-edited.jpg

Now some German ones:
Weckenmann/Stutenkerl/ there are many other names. This is a figure made with yeast dough, and holds a clay pipe. Depending on the region, children get it on St Nicholas' day (6th December), or St Martin's day in November.
weckmann.jpg
Stollen, which you make (or buy) at Christmas.
christstollen.jpg?h=a1e1a043&itok=O_7i1e
christmas biscuits (I'm sure many countries have their own, but this is a selection of the sorts my grandmas would bake)
weihnachtspl%C3%A4tzchen.jpg
zimtsterne. Also a christmas biscuit.
zimtsterne.jpg
butterkeks
1200px-Butterkeks.jpg
Prinzenrolle, this is two biscuits with a chocolate layer in between
de-beukelaer-prinzenrolle-mehrkorn.png

And then really moving away from what most people would think of first when it comes to their cultural food, crisp/chip flavours definitely vary from country to country:

Spoiler

Some flavours popular in the UK, but which I haven't seen in Germany:
For 'normal' crisps, that are sliced potatoes: Salt and Vinegar, and Cheese and Onion (with plain salted, I think these are the 3 most popular). Slightly more obscure would be prawn cocktail flavour, roast chicken, or Worcester sauce crisps. And then there are special editions like marmite or baked beans!

Other crisps, which aren't sliced potato, but more the puffy type:

Skips are made of tapioca starch and are prawn cocktail flavour and kind of fizz on your tongue

dcfac295fb5feb1467e4fdca40ff7a97.jpg

French fries, which are crispy and made of potato starch

DSCN0616.JPG

Pombears, shaped like teadybears

Buy Pom Bears Snack Crisps - Original 19g x 36 for only £11.99 ...

Hula hoops, which children love to put on their fingers

Hula_Hoops_Snack_Original.jpg

Crisps are less of a thing in Germany, but there are two common varieties that are not so usual in the UK:

Paprika (sometimes called 'Hungarian' flavour). I would say together with salted, these are the most popular.
EeHEoTeKLFQYsoSsuQ-EH4AB52zKuIS-WD__ky5Y

And Erdnußflips/Erdnußlocken, which are peanut flavoured.
91EVy-ULLDL._SL1500_.jpg

@Karo

Chickory "coffee" is also a thing in Poland, the most famous brand being: https://www.grana.pl/marki-grana/inka/ I haven't had it in ages, though I remember liking it as a kid.

As for my proposals:

Straight from my city comes this tasty croissant: https://pl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rogal_świętomarciński#/media/Plik:Rogale_świętomarcińskie_RB1.JPG

Between jam and marmalade, save a space for https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Powidl (yummy, especially if you like plums)

As for savoury stuff, this should be familiar to German-speaking folks too: https://pl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biała_kiełbasa#/media/Plik:Kielbasa4.jpg although the Polish variety is apparently not the same.

@Jelle van der Lee

Archived