Foods from your Home/Culture

Arodash

Food, truely one of the defining parts of a culture. And one of the best ways to share your culture and a literal taste of your home with strangers and friends.

So all that being said! What are the foods of your home or culture? Share your favorites and if you want, share some recipes!

I will start it off I suppose. I come from Maine, a sparcely populated northeren US State and we have a very different culture from other states. For instance

We eat canned bread. Yes! It is called brown bread, made with delicious molasis and at the factory is steamed in the can. Its great with breakfast which leads me to....

Blueberries. Maine is the largest producer of blueberries on earth and you can find ANYTHING flavored with it here. We have blueberry pork breakfast sausages!

Where I am currently there's a huge thing about crab. I'm a vegetarian but didn't like seafood even before I was, so I can't enjoy it, but it's big here. Also sauce katsudon and soba. And the fun thing about Japan is that you can probably locate someone based on the food of that region.

But in my hometown? Lots of grapes, primarily but not exclusively wine grapes. And olive oil, so there's a large thing about wine and oil tasting, where you just snack on small things of bread tasting the vinegar and oil or whatever you put on it while sipping wine. 

More homey, though, freaking cornbread and potatoes! Potatoes I blame on my family being distantly (like 5 generations) Irish and from Idaho. Cornbread because it's amazing.

3 minutes ago, SithGrinch said:

Where I am currently there's a huge thing about crab. I'm a vegetarian but didn't like seafood even before I was, so I can't enjoy it, but it's big here. Also sauce katsudon and soba. And the fun thing about Japan is that you can probably locate someone based on the food of that region.

But in my hometown? Lots of grapes, primarily but not exclusively wine grapes. And olive oil, so there's a large thing about wine and oil tasting, where you just snack on small things of bread tasting the vinegar and oil or whatever you put on it while sipping wine. 

More homey, though, freaking cornbread and potatoes! Potatoes I blame on my family being distantly (like 5 generations) Irish and from Idaho. Cornbread because it's amazing.

I have never had the oppertunity to try katsudon but have always wanted to. 

1 minute ago, Arodash said:

I have never had the oppertunity to try katsudon but have always wanted to. 

It is delicious, though you can find mediocre versions many places. 

There is a local cafe that I used to frequent that would make this turkey and rosemarry stew with potatoes, they thickened the stew with mashed potatoes

Lots of avocados, and burritos that have french fries in them.

13 minutes ago, Arodash said:

There is a local cafe that I used to frequent that would make this turkey and rosemarry stew with potatoes, they thickened the stew with mashed potatoes

And now I'm hungry. I just ate lunch (it wasn't good anyway) and now my mouth is watering because I'm picturing that. 

1 minute ago, Gloomy said:

burritos that have french fries in them.

That sounds amazing. 

Where I grew up, Mexican food was big. Fish tacos were a local thing at the time (they've spread farther since then).

Where I live now marionberries are a regional thing and pie seems to be very popular. You can find various things (pies, ice cream, juice, etc.) made with marionberries.

In the household I grew up in our standard fare was Mexican food, Italian food, and generic American food (hamburgers, hot dogs, etc.). Being close to the ocean seafood was also popular.

Boiled dinner. It consists of corned beef, cabbage, carrots and potatoes all boiled together.

New Englanders love their slow cookers. We will cook everything together in the slow cooker especially during our very long bitter cold winters

RoseGoesToYale

My city of Tampa is home to the cuban sandwich (instead of Cuba, lol). If you've never had one, it's made with ham, roast pork, salami, swiss cheese, dill pickles, and mustard on cuban bread. It must be cuban bread, anything else is bunk!

We're also home to cuban coffee (though that did come from Cuba... lots of Cuban immigrants came here to Ybor around the turn of the last century), and for some reason... guava-y things. Like guava cake, or guava pastries. Tampa's sometimes called The Big Guava, despite my living here 23 years and never seeing a guava growing wild anywhere.

Also chicken tender Pub subs. (that is, Publix, not a pub) Why is my city so obsessed with long sandwiches?

Minnesota is mostly known for hot-dishes which I personally don't like but I'm also the one who leaves a full inch of space between every food on my plate. It's a lot of generic American food, like hamburgers and corn dogs, and oddly enough quite a bit of Mexican food. Minnesota is also the birth place of SPAM though it's now more common in Hawaii. 

My family is largely German and we always have Spatzle at family meals like Thanksgiving and Christmas and Easter and so on. It's a delicious egg-based noodle often served with gravy and mashed potatoes at my house. We also have a lot of bars, usually peanut butter or pumpkin. 

Edit: If anyone is ever in Minnesota at the end of August, early September, you have to go to the state fair and get Sweet Martha's Cookies. They are the best things you will ever eat. 

I feel like i missed out on having a distinct culture. It isn't even typical "American".

The closest I got to anything was "traditional" Oklahoma meals and Mexican food. Nothing fancy or interesting at all.

3 minutes ago, Koala Hufflepuff said:

Minnesota is mostly known for hot-dishes which I personally don't like but I'm also the one who leaves a full inch of space between every food on my plate. It's a lot of generic American food, like hamburgers and corn dogs, and oddly enough quite a bit of Mexican food. Minnesota is also the birth place of SPAM though it's now more common in Hawaii. 

My family is largely German and we always have Spatzle at family meals like Thanksgiving and Christmas and Easter and so on. It's a delicious egg-based noodle often served with gravy and mashed potatoes at my house. We also have a lot of bars, usually peanut butter or pumpkin. 

My Oma brought with her a lot of her German recipes when she married my Opa in the 50s to move to the states. Spatzle was one of them she also made these dumplings in a thick pork gravy

4 minutes ago, Koala Hufflepuff said:

Minnesota is also the birth place of SPAM

And home to the spam museum :) 

Maine is also the birth place of the "Itallian sub" which is. Ham, cheese, green pepper, onions, tomatoes and olives

1 minute ago, daveb said:

Pan fried spam is great with a fried egg for breakfast

2 minutes ago, daveb said:

I actually don't live too far from the museum though I've never been inside. 

You want cheese? We've got cheese!

It still astounds me that cheese curds can be hard to find elsewhere when they're fairly ubiquitous here. 

1 minute ago, wyrdwyrm said:

It still astounds me that cheese curds can be hard to find elsewhere when they're fairly ubiquitous here. 

Come to Minnesota, we also have an overabundance of cheese curds, I think my mom lives off the things. 

You want cheese? We've got cheese!

Im that weirdo at parties who pretty much despises cheese.

1 minute ago, Koala Hufflepuff said:

Come to Minnesota, we also have an overabundance of cheese curds, I think my mom lives off the things. 

I think they're more common the closer you are to the general Midwest area...and the infection keeps spreading! ;) 

2 minutes ago, Arodash said:

Im that weirdo at parties who pretty much despises cheese.

I have German/Polish ancestry but despise potatoes, so I sympathize with your weirdness. ❤️ 

I think they're more common the closer you are to the general Midwest area...and the infection keeps spreading! ;) 

Soon the whole world will know of their greatness!! 

This is more of a 'me' dish than a cultural one, but one of my favorite comfort foods is peas, kielbasa, and couscous. It's easy to cook and I never get tired of it. ❤️ 

1 minute ago, Koala Hufflepuff said:

Soon the whole world will know of their greatness!! 

The world will rue the day that we band together with Quebec and their cheese curd supply...

Just now, wyrdwyrm said:

The world will rue the day that we band together with Quebec and their cheese curd supply...

And the cheese curd shall be the mighty ruler of us all!! 

Just now, Koala Hufflepuff said:

And the cheese curd shall be the mighty ruler of us all!! 

*Looks at expanding waistline and sighs*

It already is... 😫

5 minutes ago, wyrdwyrm said:

This is more of a 'me' dish than a cultural one, but one of my favorite comfort foods is peas, kielbasa, and couscous. It's easy to cook and I never get tired of it. ❤️ 

Mmmmm kielbasa, I slice it up and make a soup with onions and peppers

Archived