Are you an empath?

Recently I just discovered I am an empath. I define an empath as someone who is very emotional inside and is a survivor of chronic narcissistic, sociopathic or psychopathic abuse/bullying from family members, spouses, exes, friends, work mates and/or school mates. Empaths are not crazy, they just feel more, they are more emotional than "normal" and that is totally okay, they are valid.  Empaths can feel the vibes of people. Empaths are INFJs , introverts and loners. 

Are you an empath?

why do you feel like you must describe someone flush with empathy by what wounds they might carry?

• Like 2
3 hours ago, stampoc said:

Recently I just discovered I am an empath. I define an empath as someone who is very emotional inside and is a survivor of chronic narcissistic, sociopathic or psychopathic abuse/bullying from family members, spouses, exes, friends, work mates and/or school mates. Empaths are not crazy, they just feel more, they are more emotional than "normal" and that is totally okay, they are valid.  Empaths can feel the vibes of people. Empaths are INFJs , introverts and loners. 

Are you an empath?

I relate to this. I’d say Empaths tend to have survived some sort of emotional abuse. Remember that we feel our own and others’ emotions x10 (or x100), so behaviour that apparently “builds character” can create real problems for us.

Here’s some positive vibes to all fellow Empaths, people who feel empathy, positive people and people who’ve survived or coped with any form of emotional abuse 🥰🥰🥰

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, Iam9man said:

I relate to this. I’d say Empaths tend to have survived some sort of emotional abuse. Remember that we feel our own and others’ emotions x10 (or x100), so behaviour that apparently “builds character” can create real problems for us.

Here’s some positive vibes to all fellow Empaths, people who feel empathy, positive people and people who’ve survived or coped with any form of emotional abuse 🥰🥰🥰

Thank you, I send positive vibes to you too fellow empath xx 

Calligraphette_Coe
3 hours ago, CBC said:

I don't believe in the concept of "empaths", so no. I believe in empathy of course, and obviously some people are naturally more empathetic than others, but I think the idea of someone being an "empath" is somewhat nonsensical.

I'm not as sure.  I think some people conflate being an empath with being some sort of telepath, and that could be called nonsensical, I guess. Or that an empath can heal people by taking the hurt from them and pulling it into themselves. Which would also be somewhat nonesensical.

But what about highly sensitive people that can read other people like a book? Who are adept at picking up vibes from other people by such nuances as micro body English, inflections in voice.

Or, who are so sensitive that they almost can't bear to see anyone hurt/hurting? I get so upset at times seeing things such as what The Orange Man did to the wife of the dead Congressman in his Michigan political rally. Or when I see someone who has been injured, such as a really bad cut, that I actually go weak in the knees and almost faint? I once turned down a job to work as biomedtech because I knew I was going to have to see people in all kinds of states and don't think I could succeed at the detachment needed to steel off from those feelings and physical reactions.

3 hours ago, CBC said:

I know what it's like to feel a lot though, and I've always been mostly a loner. And I'm sorry for whatever negative experiences you've been through; I've had some of my own, too.

I am, too. And have had some pretty bad physical and emotional things happen to me. It's like you can't shut the playback off/ out so one goes into extreme avoidance? And that you feel best when you are alone because of that? And the damnable question I have for myself is 'What if someone else could feel what I feel the way I feel it, would I then feel less alone?'

But then there is always this line of thought on empathy:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/feb/19/think-empathy-makes-world-better-place-think-again

Empaths must remember that they are powerful, no matter how much emotional turmoil they have endured. Even though negative energies try to bring us down, we should not give too much of our energy away. It is the giving away of too much energy "because we are nice and generous" or "because we want to defend ourselves" that is creating the emotional turmoil. Ignore narcissists, psychopaths and sociopaths. Ignore, ignore, ignore, save your energy for better things.

If you don't know what the heck I'm talking about don't worry, only 20% of the population are empaths and 80% are not, it's not the majority.

56 minutes ago, stampoc said:

If you don't know what the heck I'm talking about don't worry, only 20% of the population are empaths and 80% are not, it's not the majority.

And before this kicks off: this is not elitism. People are different. Not better or worse, just different 😊👍

2 hours ago, Iam9man said:

And before this kicks off: this is not elitism. People are different. Not better or worse, just different 😊👍

A lot of people don't understand what is an empath. Empaths have this gift but it's a curse as well. Empaths are always targets for emotional abuse and bullying, it's awful but the only positive of this is that we are highly sensitive people who sense more than "normal". It's not a cool thing to be an empath, we did not choose to be empaths, being an empath is a giant struggle, biggest struggle of my life.

• 3 weeks later...