Bi- or Panromantic

will123

If you identify as or know someone that is biromantic or panromantic, how is being out with your 'partner' in public dealt with?

I just wonder what friend might think if a person is 'close' to multiple genders than just the opposite.

Do your/their close friends know?

I'm not sure I understand the question?

I can let you know that so far I haven't had any issues with being homophobic/biphobic towards me, but that could just be because I'm in a progressive social bubble.

My sister would get stared at when walking hand in hand with her girlfriend, but... other than that?

Whether someone is bi-sexual or bi-romantic, I would think it comes to roughly the same in public eyes. Like @Laurann hinted at, it would probably be looked more oddly if it's someone of the same gender.

If you meant someone poly-amorous, that would make it that someone could be seen with more than one partner in the same kind of period, and then that could maybe get some looks too. Some people might think the person is a player or a slut, which isn't nice. Most of the population doesn't understand how someone can have strong feelings for multiple people without problems. I would guess only people who know the person would notice though. But they'd also probably know them enough to know or talk about them being poly.

I guess I should've given an example.

A guy may have a girlfriend for a period of time then a boyfriend.

I'm thinking more of a long term deal than short term.

11 minutes ago, will123 said:

I guess I should've given an example.

A guy may have a girlfriend for a period of time then a boyfriend.

I'm thinking more of a long term deal than short term.

People who don't know them may have odd looks when it's the same gender, though that's more accepted in society now, at least in bigger places.
Those who know them will wonder what's going on and if they're actually gay, but if it's long-term then other than that there wouldn't be too much to it.

Explaining that they're Bi should be enough to help someone understand. And you'd get the same kinds of misunderstandings as someone bi-sexual. If they're asexual, they don't need to talk about it, but of course that'd add on a bit of complication :P

Note: No one knows I'm Bi in my case, since I haven't been with a man as a partner yet. I'm not out as trans either though, so in whatever case there'll be a bit of complication XD

Wondrous Stranger

I'm biromantic but haven't had a relationship with someone of my same gender yet. I also know someone who is bisexual and people definitely believe that she actually jumps back and forth between being straight and being gay, based on her current partner. They seem not to understand that bisexuality (or biromanticism) is something unique, rather than indecision between the two more commonly known orientations.

My spouse is biromantic but means it in a way that people would describe as panromantic; they are attracted to "their gender" and "other genders", which they consider as two groups of people, hence bi.  The interesting thing is that even though this begun as a "hetero" relationship, they're actually trans and lean more toward male-presenting, so this really will have been a "bi" sort of relationship.

I don't think they necessarily "deal with it" in public in any sort of way though.  I've been their only actual relationship partner, they don't get "close" to many people besides me (they have a great deal of introversion and social anxiety), and we're married now and they're monogamous, so...

Janus the Fox

My BF is biromantic, I’m fine with it, the BF do not have friends outside the gaming forums or discords or at local fighting game level competitions, so it’s not discussed outside of him and me.  

He has a thing for femboys soo perhaps being both a boy and a girl at times satisfies that double romantic need ;) 

In the past I have been presumed to be gay since I've never had a girlfriend. I was curious in what biromantics faced since it is more of a 'public thing'. A bisexual person could appear straight to family, friends or co-workers, but privately be attracted to and sexually active with partners of both sexes.

Thanks for the replies so far.

I don't want to keep secret that I had partners of different genders. I didn't got any push back for this besides homophobia personally. I was reminded why I drifted apart from  former friend when I told him that I had a boyfriend. At the time I was not really aware that I am trans and was just coming to terms with it.

All my relationships were with people who are not attracted to only one gender. They were all queer relationships regardless of the gender of my partners.

I think I'm finally in a place in life where I would be ok to have a boyfriend, though it would still feel weird around family. I am not 'out' about anything (including being trans), so it would definitely be a surprise, but it's possible that I'm going to be out to my family sometime in 2020.

Archived