Why Can’t I Feel Romance?

calyo

Recently I’ve been trying out some dating apps. I’ve found a few people I like but I just can’t seem to feel anything toward them. It’s  like I’m numb to emotion or attraction. I did briefly feel romantic feelings for someone but it didn’t last long. Do I just need to spend more time with them? Or are they not the right person? Is there something wrong with me? Is this what aromanticism is?

Yeah you could still be demi-romantic. I would find it odd that someone aromantic would be motivated enough to even go on a dating site. A part of you wants to connect with someone, but there might be more to that than just romance. It could be good to ask yourself what you're looking for in a relationship. There's something special to getting closer to someone, understanding them and them understanding you, or at least coming to care for each other. Sometimes it's because you find they have a beautiful soul, not just attractions that draw you to them right away. Some people stick out to us and are easy for us to like :D It really depends on quite a few things. But it's ok to also be discovering yourself and what you're looking for. You might find out it doesn't matter as much as you thought, or you might see your feelings are more specialized or something.

I've moved this thread from "Questions about Asexuality" to "Romantic and Aromantic Orientations".

Michael Tannock,
Open Mic moderator and Questions about Asexuality Co-moderator.

6 hours ago, Sarah-Sylvia said:

I would find it odd that someone aromantic would be motivated enough to even go on a dating site.

Could just be outside pressures/amatonormativity. We don't know :) 

But yeah, it's a good idea to ask yourself what you are looking for in a partner @calyo. Aromanticism is possible, but it's also possible that they just weren't the right people, or that it just takes a long time for you to develop romantic attraction (like in demiromantic people).

On 12/18/2019 at 12:14 AM, OptimisticPessimist said:

There's nothing wrong with you. 

It's possible they aren't the right person. Could spend more time to see if things happen, but don't force yourself to spend time, if you don't want too. Aromantic is experiencing no romantic attraction, but i would check out the terms Demiromantic and Grayromantic and this thread. 

Thanks for your response! I’ll definitely look in to that. I also love your yoongi gif teehee

Archived